The Gentle Rain from Heaven in extreme downpour

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Re: The Gentle Rain from Heaven in extreme downpour

Post by goodlookingone »

The sun is shining - Maybe a bus to The Bluebell Woods is worth a visit.. Just a-pondering on when I last walked up to Langdon Hills (a Nature Reserve).
But that route Keeps reminding me that when I had that "stroke", The Ambulance People must have Taking me that way (couldn't see much outside) to avoid the traffic, and into the Hospital Via their "Private" entrance through the Staff Housing... They sometimes Put some Lifestock on to Landon Hills, Sometimes Hosses, Sometimes Big Gingery Shaggy Highland Cattle. MUST get some paperwork out of the way and Venture out.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

Yes, get out into the fresh air. We have Highland cattle at Dunster, the ginger ones, and banded Galloways on the Moor. I have one or two bluebells out, so a look at your bluebell woods would be balm to the spirit. When I was on my Ecology field Course, I did a project on Bluebells. Then on the return from Llandudno the rocky west side, our tutor stopped the minibus to show the whole side of a mountain in Snowdonia covered in Bluebells. The scent is gorgeous too, but at Leasowes near Halesowen it has been mixed with Wild Garlic. Something that needed one to get used to.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

You have reminded me of something.

Many years ago (Many Many years) I was walking my Mum'd dog. A lovely and inteligent and Gentle Alsatian. We were in a field with shrubs and hedges and Highland Cattle came into view. Cattle (cows and calves) were non-plussed - Dog totally confused at beasts he had never seen before. Beasts and dog looked at me expecting me to explain each other? Dog took a long detour as we passed them!

At a later time I saw the "Field" had become a superb lawn, and every morning (My train passed by en-route to work) the field had .. perhaps a hundred... Rabbits. and later still, the feild was cut and lifted as Lawn Turfs.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Today, the goose grass is being pulled out so that the flowers can flourish. The drowned tulips never broke the surface of the water, but the narcissi are looking beautiful. A sharp shower forced a coffee break but it is sunny again now. I was really irritated when a huge tractor rolled up a few days ago and sprayed the field outside the garden. The rooks and hares had been looking for food there recently, and the farmer could just as easily have cut the weeds and let them rot down.

It must have been upsetting to see a green field be skimmed of grass. for lawns. I'm not over fond of lawns. An area of grass with flowers in it, is a pleasure, but people who mow them short and get angry with moles are missing one of the joys of life. I enjoy the wildlife in my garden, including pheasants, who have a refuge here. I once saw, a few months ago, a Great Egret by the flood lake in the distance. It's only there to hold flood water from the moor, so is only there at times in the winter. It attracts sea birds though when it's full.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Ah, But the Herds of rabbits resulted in a Glut of Foxes.. Where I live now, The glut of houses and weekly dutscarts resulted in a Different Glut of Foxes.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Lovely animals. Their cries are a bit disturbing. Rather like those of Domestic violence victims.

Another lovely day. Meeting my darling daughter for dinner in Taunton. Now to blag a parking place in the museum car park because the other car parks are further away than I'd like to negotiate on crutches.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

about 1950, I was moved out of London. The Estate was taking up old Country park, house, and Farms. The Manor of the Old Park was Demolished (Possibly many years of Dereliction and Anti Aircraft Guns on its Foundations hasten is demise), The Remaining Frorest and Parkland is now being treated as a Nature Reserve - not all to my approval - (150 deer have taken residence; too many, and the Ancient Trees and Land is sufferring - but that was an "aside" to my "Aside") What I was getting round to was your ref to Foxes, One Lady seems to be an A1 Photographer raids the Manor every mday. One day she got distracted by taking Pictures of a (or more) Fox. One Shows Him racing across the fields Like a Greyhound. Obviously fit and well nourished his run showed like cartoon beast with his Back legs overtaking his front legs as he ran. I'm sure that a Horsey Person could Define that type of gait. Terrific Photo though. If I was motoring again, I'd go over there early, before their Visitors arrive - To think I used to play in those woods as a kid, Anf Forced into Cross-country runs when I was later at school.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Bring back wolves. More effective than huntsmen for controlling deer and all sorts of other benefits too. That sounds like an intriguing picture.

I went off to the garden centre yesterday, and came back with 18 strawberry plants and 6 tomato plants. The compost is mostly too heavy to move round to the back, but I managed one, and my strawberry pots were a bit smaller than I remembered, so they are all planted safely. Now for the mini greenhouse construction. Some of the parts are under this season's grass, so a bit of groping will be needed. On the other hand, Blunders' old one is reposing on the patio so I may let the gardener grope the grass next week.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi, Had a lot of trouble getting here. My Bookmarks disappeared, and when I tried to retreive them, I lost my Passwords - Bit tricky as I'm trying to contact the Many Problems I am trying to solve.

I had Strawberries when I was a Kid ... I also had a pet tortoise ... Tortoieses LOVE strawberries.. I think The Tortoise beat the slugs to them.

Wolves OK, but Shepherds might think otherwise, as do the Lambs.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Wolves don't eat that many sheep, and on the hills like Exmoor, they'd chase deer. Yes the ones that kill trees by eating the leaves of saplings. They've worked miracles in Yellowstone Park. It would make hunting more difficult.