Wizz! Bang! January 2018 ...

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Re: Wizz! Bang! January 2018 ...

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

Just about to have breakfast before putting on shoes and coat. It's the Orchestral service today, and we are playing something nice. Haydn not being funny, and Purcell washes whiter.

See you later.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

So you've gone by now..

You remind me of a friend who sang in a Choir (The Harlow Chorus). The last time I heard her, she was in a Church in Epping. She was much displeased at the Later Composers, but was much Happier with Bach.

I'd better get on with doing stuff......
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

I don't know if there are any Lurkers from "Old" Mustardlands, But It would be nice to see them next month .. BUT, In the Hope to find some lost souls, (from comming from I-know-not--where), I will add this note that I found today.
Although I don't use the Liverpool Rail Line, I have just checked the Line from Mid-Essex - Looks like another Final Adjustment (Adding The Underground Crossrail routes to the Mainline Route, Stratford to Shenfield) is to be doing more engineering work so be prepared for Busses for part of your jouney. I DO hoope you can all make it though through the delays.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Quite a frenetic day yesterday. I'm glad I didn't plan any railway journeys. The line from Minehead by the level crossing is being refurbished ready for the summer schedule. There is another push on by the Town Council to get a full route to Taunton, but it's a lot more complicated than it looks. As these things are. However, timetable changes necessary to allow another service to use the line could be negotiated.

As I'd feared, the Ramp was Not Fit For Purpose and my handyman will return with a mate to build something better , at less than ripoff cost I hope. No wonder the perpetrator was reluctant to return. If I work out what he actually spent if anything, on Materials and invoice the little toad for the rest, it'll make me feel better even if I don't get anything out of him.

It would be nice to have afew more people posting in here. I considered sending some personal messages, but maybe it's me who is frightening them off.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Is this The West Somerset Line?
Years ago when I was working on Eurostar, Steam Trains used to run over our Stabling on the West London Line. I Remember a Schools Class almost came to a stop as the Bods in Carriges Tried to see these 173 MPH trains of ours (Not Moving of course - except Servicing to repair workshops), whilst we admired Shining wheels and Conn/coupling rods. Wonderful stuff, no lecktricery, no Pantographs, No Pick up shoes, No multiple signals aboard to match the various systems, No AWS gubbins, No multiple Telephone systems, Just a bloke stoking up the fire and another looking for the fixed signals, and both speaking the one Language.. All gone to scrap now of course (Including all the Sleepers for Distant Lands - all scrapped without turning a wheel).

Yes, I wondered about the wooden Ramp. - For some reason I was looking at outdoor Paints this Morning - Shop seems to be making much point of anti-slip treatments for Garden Boards.

Would be nice to have more Bods here. I was thinking of bods who have either gone dufferent ways to us, or have left posting behind them... I was pondering on trying to get more "lost souls" on to the Mustard Meet Next month - BUT, some are a hundred or more miles away and a trip into London for a Few Hours is a Bit Heavy on the wallet.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I'm afraid a trip to TTL is off the menu for now. Cost and timewise, and no dog sitter available. Also I'm not up to long walks now and everywhere is a long way from everywhere else. I will ask a few people to post again.

Yes it is the West Somerset line. Lovely steam trains going up and down past my window all the summer. Even the Flying Scotsman last September. The branch line from Bewdley to Woofferton used to go Past our Farm, but it was down in the valley and you had to go to the end of the lawn to see it. Dr Beeching murdered it, and I would have fought it more ferociously if I'd been adult. The enquiry Meeting was held in Worcester, so everyone had to go by road, or change twice and catch the last slow train in Stourbridge with no return train available. A put up job, and the protest movement was in its infancy.

I'm sure the handyman will do something good. He's been a tower of strength until now. Practicality teamed with economy. And safety too. Bless him.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Yes... I only recently found that Steam Trains are very occasionaly go past this line - i.e., the station about 5 minutes walk from here. I did once found a date and went to see Brittania, stopping here in fact for pre-booked ticket holders - I remember that she was en-route on The Cathederal Tour (Salisbury I think, but they visit different places) . I believe that it was curtailed latterley, possibly for works wher The New London "Crossrail" Line was being built under This Line, and also on crossing the Liveerpool Line or round-London Freight Line (which is the route to link with the West-of-England Line). I believe the same carriages were hauled back by a Diesel....

Stourbridge - Or was it Wocester. I know they have their own Steam Line too...
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

The Severn Valley Steam Railway runs between Kidderminster and Bridgnorth via Bewdley and the Wyre Forest. The branch line used to run from Bewdley to meet the Hereford to Shrewsbury Line, but the rails were taken up. The remnant from Tenbury to Woofferton carried on to take commuters to Ludlow for a few years, but even that stopped after about 10 years. Around 1964, because Family would meet me off the train in Ludlow. Trains mostly go from Worcester for London.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Something else coming to me: Was this the Line that ONCE went through Mountsorrel..? I had "digs" on an island in a canal. The Railway bridge over the Canal was latterly used as a conveyor belt for Rockspoil. - in fact the Conveyor displace the former adjacent cansl Dock. I remember one Sunny day, the Local Squirrells made their first seasonal foray across the bridge - entertaining the Breakfast-takers from the windows in the "digs".
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Mountsorrel is in Leicestershire on the River Soar. Severn Valley is on the Worcs-Shropshire border
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Nothin Happening here, except I keeps falling asleep - Goodnight each...
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I've been like that. We had a vet appointment at 9.15, then went up to the scenic North Hill for a hobble. I came back then went back to bed for a doze and kept going to sleep. Finally surfaced around 6pm, in time to feed Cassie then go off for the quiz. She got lots of sympathy and some extra food.

I've been fighting off a cold, but I was too tired even to make a coffee and that probably kept me relatively comatose. After a couple of coffees I'm a bit more alert and my headache has gone. Caffeine addict!
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

I just attemted a reply - but I can't post ... Will try later
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

A busy day ahead and I only want to stay in bed. Cleaners, Maybe Gardener, a late morning session in the Library recruiting people into Healthwatch. I they have any sense, they'll head for the hills. Cassie has lots of sense, but she's stuck with me.
I'm sneezing and coughing, but that's subsiding and it's a fast day as well. But the weather is clear and breezy, so it's not all bad.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Off to take my watch to repairer for the third time: I'm sure there is a stash of out-of-date batteries for what has become a rare size.

Sorry you are unwell, but dont breathe this way.........

Best Wishes everybuddy.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

It was good to get out. It rained a bit.

My cleaner sent a message to say she couldn't make it today, but she's coming tomorrow. While I was trying to access her message, the gardener rang to say his wife was in hospital so he wasn't coming either. I sent soothing messages all round. I managed without them for 2 years before I enlisted their help, so a few days either way doesn't hurt. I'm waiting to hear from my handyman for a price on the replacement ramp. He's very good at what he does and doesn't rip me off, but I expect it will still cost.

Colds are contagious apparently, so you can't catch this one, you'll have to go out and find your own.

Best regards
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

No Cleaner here (As you can tell from the state of house) No Gardner, and no Handyman (other than me). .... at least, when I can find my soldering iron.... I do have some insurance repairs - just as soon as I can employ a secretary to find the paperwork.

Colds! I understand it is a Vague Generic term that includes all sorts of sins. I think the same applies to 'flu. Not that the fine definitions helps much. Hope you can sort it out.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Just heard a scientific personage on thr radio (OK, He is adverising for His science programme at 09:00). but opined, "If you see a tenner on the road and you can bend to pick it up, then you have a cold: If you can't be bothered, then you have 'flu"
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi all, A bright Sunny day... Good to feel half alive. (Oh who am I kidding).