November already? Doesn't time fly!

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

November already? Doesn't time fly!

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

GLO, I meant my drive. It was my door they used to come to with a half load of road stuff 'left over'. I would say that they probably wouldn't lay a deep enough cover and anyway, they only deal in cash.

I was called away by the Gardener moaning about the lack of payment from one of his big company customers. Apparently, my payments go through instantly. Then he can hire the chipper and chip the branches on my meadow. Can't call it a lawn really.

Happy November anyway.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Re: November already? Doesn't time fly!

Post by Brians Cravat »

Good evening to all and, "White Rabbits" (Unless it"s too late in the day to say that. As usual, I've seem to have been busy of late. Lots of varied stuff going on not, my usual clubs and societies.

A significant birthday for me in a few days. Party and several other celebratory events have been organised. I shall be attending my Art Group as usual on the actual day of my birthday. It's normal that the person who has the birthday takes along a light buffet and some drinks on the nearest group meeting to th birthday. In my case, I normally indulge one of my other passions and bake a cake. This should happen the day before. However on this occasion, I'm taking the family out to lunch on the eve of my birthday. So, I've found a recipe for a Nigel's Lawson cake that will store for four weeks. It's been made and has been wrapped in a double layer of baking parchment, an outer layer of foil and placed in an airtight box.

Have a great evening all.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi... Sorry I'm not paying attention - Much time on phone re Kid Sis Doc/Hosp problems... I'll try catch-up tomorrow.

Pre-Birthday Wishes, Brian.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

GLO, thank you for your pre-birthday wishes and, I hope that your Kid/Sis/Doc/Hospital problems are resolved to the satisfaction of all concerned.

Just spent a jolly hour doing some garden tidying. Looks OK for the Winter. Our tubs and hanging basket full of winter flowering plants have been out some time and are providing some pleasant colour.

Tomorrow is Action Heart Walk day but, I don't like the venue so, I'm heading off to nearby Kinver for one of my favourite canal/country lane/farmland walks. OH will meet me at a very pleasant local cafe and, a pleasant luncheon will be partaken.

Enjoy your Thursday everyone.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Ah Kinver! We enjoyed our walks there. People would be astonished at the range of walks in the Black Country. Really gorgeous ones, like Barrow Hill, Wren's Nest, Bumble Hole, and Saltwells. The industrial and mining past has been overcome by Nature reclaiming her own.

Hope you sort out Doctor/Hospital/Kid Sister very soon GLO.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Kinver, Barrow Hill (Including Fens Pool) and Saltwells are all regular routes for the Action Heart walks. We also have starting points at the Red House Cone, The Bratch in Wombourne, Withymoor, Ashwood Nurseries and two quite close to Cravat Towers, Baggeridge Park and Himley Hall. We're really so lucky, living on the edge of the Black Country. There are all the industrial/historical site but also, wonderful countryside too.

One of the Kinver walks that I like most of all begins at a car park at the northern end of the village, heads along a public footpath through an equestrian centre, goes up through woodland (Lots of real wildflowers at appropriate times of the year.). Then there's a short stretch along a road before we turn onto the canal towpath. We step off the footpath and climb Dunsley Hill before descending back to the canal towpath close to an old nail mill complete with the mill leet from the River Stour. This takes us back into the village of Kinver where there are several coffee shops, pubs, and shops including a real bakery. Dependent on whether we do the whole walk, it's maybe three and a half to five and a half miles.

So fortunate to live where we do. We have all this a short walk away and, are able to access the theatres and concert venues in Birmingham. The best of many worlds.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Sorry: Not caught up today.

Goodnight each ... Hospital appoint tomorrow - Give me a call in the a.m. Ta!
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Let us know how it went, well or otherwise.

I'm sure that I never made the most of Birmingham when I lived there. The free organ recitals at the Town Hall on Wednesday lunchtime Thomas Trotter, and St Paul's in the Jewellery quarter on Mondays (I think) by organ scholars at the School of Music were wonderful interludes in a working day.

Nowadays although there are events, I seem to spend more time being involved in events than going to see them.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Thanks Rwth... No problems, but Still getting my address right on the records - hence No letter re what I needs to do (eg: after food, before food, etc) or even no actual wherabouts (I was fairly certain that it was Basildon Hosp - but there were other suggestions/possibilities, - but they keep moving departments around - Now in Outpatients ex-building works all I had was a Verbal Appoint via P.A.L.S.). I think they were a bit over enthusiastic with the Eye-drops - took me longer before I could see adequately. Oh, A new m/c - takes many more retina photy's
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Quite an adventurous day, but you found the right place. I'm always intrigued by the equipment they use every time, but it's the air puff test for glaucoma that I actively dislike. I don't make a fuss but I'm glad when that part is over. They say you can't drive for 4 hours after having the eye drops, so it's not surprising that it takes a long time to get over it. I've dodged that part over the years, but maybe I'll get landed with it some time. Maybe I'll take the train, but it's a long walk home from the station which I'm not really up to these days. Maybe I should try and find the route over the fields, a bit shorter, but much harder work with my hip.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi! They don't do the airpuff one for retina testing - but they now take several photo's. You have to look as each blue spot as it is moved across the screen. She then expands the picture, tells you that it will be scrutinised in detail before they tell me, but there is nothing needing any apparent immediate attention. But it was only after the scan that the ne eyedrops start to sting... Difficult to see your way back to the Bus stops - just to confuse you... Basildon Hospital is on a Hill, so the Storey to the bus stop road is actually "Level 'C'". It seemed expedient to dally for the (Compulsory Friday) Fish and Chips before going home. When I worked at NETRHA there were three Hospitals renown for Good Food, so Basildon was always a good job... (When I was in Basildon Hospital, the food was awful - BUT, The current contractor is the same one feeding the Tractor Factory, and up to a Good standard) ... and in answer to your next question, Whitechapel was A1, and so was The (now gone) Middlesex Hospital. (You may have heard the Catering Manager on "The Food Programme" on R4 - wonder where He is now).

It used to be an easy walk into the Forest - at least, it LOOKS like a Forest, but it is actually the Nature Reserve. The Railway closed the foot crossing across the tracks. I can understand the Railway not wanting people and/or vandals on their thracks, especially as each update of train is quieter. I think another reason to close the access was because the existing edges of the estate (a mere 1980 build) were demolished and squeezed in more houses - front door straight out into the road (Probavly the same reason as the bus operators no longer using that road???

I believe Guy-Fawkes Day is Tomorrow. When I was of Fireworks age, The celebration (Celebration.. The Imbecile who was persuaded to store "past its use-by date" of flamables into a damp cellar, and Failed to blow up Parliament - what celebration?) was never exercised on a Sunday.. With different religions holding other Days (Friday, Saturday...) is Sunday still excluded from explosables?
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I went out in trepidation to the North Hill above Minehead to take Cassie for a relaxing walk. Hobble for me, and was a bit concerned that they would be having a bonfire and firework display but it was much too wet. It was hailing before we got to the far end that looks down on another poster's residence by the sea at Porlock. I never liked fireworks. The little hand held ones or gentle silver showers of lights and Golden Rain. Then my father had a Roman Candle shoot up a projectile that went down the back of his neck on its way down and we all agreed that we'd stick with sparklers from then on. We lived on top of a hill and could look down on the little market town and enjoy theirs vicariously.

I've just had a reminder for the monthly Lazy Brunch at the Village Club. Lazier than normal as they aren't doing it this month and I can have the other baguette I cooked last night and a bistro coffee.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Lots of Fireworkery Yesterday Evening... But they have all started earlier tonight - I guess not having to wait for their respective Fathers to get home from work on a Sundqay (I suppose The Vicar would have been Working,,,, and The Hospital Staff... And The Gas Works... and the lectrikery stokers... and the train drivers, and The police - And probavly extra staff on Fireworks night ... OK, I'll retract that: everyone is at work.......)
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

My dad was a farmer so was always working, though he would have a rest in the afternoon.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi each, and apols for absence... I have bored you all before about idiot Council renumbering this road.. It is deemed wrong to tename houses by "The High Couert" - afraid I don't know which "High Court" or if they will go to a higher court. No attempt have been made to correct the move, BUT... I think it is due to the fact that at some time The Council renamed the whole 1975/80 suburb as "Five Links" and prior to this latest escapade had renumbered the four other estates - which will no doubt all press for corrections... Perhaps it will cost the council enough to get rid of all their Tech people chiselling away at unwanted projects all over the place... Think how lifeless Romford was made after all their "Improvements" The Biggest Market in England is now four stalls surrounded by derelict "new" shops.
If I havn't bored you enough.... One rsult of the renumbering have rendered difficulty in finding a particular point - Fire Engines eventually got near here, but renaming have resulted in emergency access's becoming car parks. Knowledgable people can find a light vehicle access to (what was) a kids playground to dump their discards. Rubbish was on fire last night, to Firemen's on foot with hand-held extinguishers, so I had to wait to get through (from Bus stop) until flames were quelled - Nte result was Smoke, Steam, and smell , all in the dark --- The street lamps have been burnt.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

The manner in which, at a time when they supposed to be saving money, local councils seem to come up with yet more elaborate ways of wasting financial resources hand over fist never ceases to amaze me. For instance, nearby Wolverhampton City Council have recently rebranded all leisure centres, swimming pools and, sports facilities under the 'WV Active' name. This has of course necessitated new signage, a new colour scheme, presumably new letterheads, business cards, promotional materials etc. Would they have waited for the existing letterheads etc, etc to be exhausted before replacing them? Well, of course not! Wolverhampton City Council is supposed to be saving £25 million.

Our local council was so strapped for cash that they brought forward a proposal that all schools should pay for their own crossing wardens. This smacked of robbing Peter to pay Paul because, school crossing wardens are funded from the Highways budget rather than the Education budget. Fortunately, a successful campaign by schools and parents led to the proposal being shelved. At the same time the council decided to refurbish and extend the Town Centre Market. Apparently, they felt that this project would increase the footfall in the market. Sadly, the gradual decline of the market had little to do with it not being big enough or, it being in need of refurbishment. Rather, it is due to the imposition of charges on all Town Centre Carparks and, the fact that all major retailers decamped to the Merry Hill retail park a few miles down the road some twenty odd years ago. Shoppers don't go into the town centre for these two reasons. Because they see no reason the go to the town centre, they don't use the market. We'll ignore the fact that the initial measurements for the newly extended market were in correct and the 'completed' project could not be signed off by the council's own planning department! Dudley Council are trying to same £10 million!

GLO, it strikes me that, your local council tinkering with household addresses is a similar project aimed at spending money that they don't have.

On a similar theme, I have been approached by our energy supplier (Scottish Power) to consider a 'Smart Meter'. I explained that we already have a 'Smart Meter' installed five years ago by British Gas. I should explain that in pursuit of the best prices for energy, we have changed energy suppliers on an annual basis. Since giving British Gas the elbow, we have had four different energy suppliers. None of these however could, take advantage of our existing 'Smart Meter' because they did not have the systems for using 'Smart Meters'.

It now appears that Scottish Power are unable to download information from the meter installed by British Gas. Likewise, if we change our energy supplier next Spring as seems likely, the new supplier will be unable to download information from the Scottish Power 'Smart Meter'.

So every time we change supplier, they will have to install their own meter!

With this in mind, I e-mailed my MP with the following points/questions:

1. The UK Government would like us all to have 'Smart Meters' installed because it will help use reduce our energy usage and therefore, reduce the impact on the environment.

2. How can a policy aimed at reducing environmental impacts, justify the use of further material and Labour involved in installing a new meter in every household every time they change energy supplier?

3. If another of the aims is reduce financial cost, where does the money come from to pay for a new meter every year, who pays the cost of manufacture/supply and installation of these devices? If the supplier pays the cost, isn't this passed on to me in the cost of the energy we purchase? If it's the Government paying the cost, don't I as a UK taxpayer, also pay for it.

4. Isn't constant changing of meters likely to act as a disincentive to householders switching g suppliers?

My MP has passed on my queries to Greg Clark, who is apparently the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Minister. I await a response from the esteemed minister!

Enjoy your day peoples.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hello Brian - got waylaid on another thread re-living schooldays and the Teachers we had.. We believe they are all out of jail now.

The House Numbering was a resul of some counciller grovelling to the schools by offering monies to schoolkids to find imaginative names by different patches of this estate.. No idea how anybody could find access to the weired name they put here, without knowing how to get here - Parking and Emergency access is via an area with different names and house numbers.. And consider this: High Court has allowed Numbering to suit 1925 Act (Councills has to decree sequentially numbered houses so that the new fangled Motorised Fire Engines and Ambulances could take advantage of survovoors from WW II could now easily find houses), but ONLY IF THE HOUSES WERE NOT PREVIOUSLY NUMBERED. and they Could (not must) apply road names IF NONE EXISTED. Currently we have Council Tax demands for addresses that don't exist??? Furthermore, Four other Estates were formerly renumbered by this council. I wonder how much council Tax dwellings must now be returned????
and Just for another "aside", ... I spoke to lcal (Ward area) Counciller tells me that the Change of address included the clause that any costs involved (In my case, updating my Agency Clients, and a few other details), but this was not passed on to the Populace.

The Council Built a new Building where the lower storey's were forming a new University .. It did not fare well, so now the Council have re-sited it for another new Building where the current Market stands. To build a new site for the Market, the Open space (Paved, with compass and horological Carvings in the Paving (So you can stand on a flagstone and your shadow would show the Time) A larger new space with sapplings becoming trees, and Coloured Lighting in the pavings around the trees where the trees would hide any Standard Lamps. ... This was a quiet peaceful space outside the Church Gardens. They ran out of money after demolishing what was once there.

Incidentally the former/ex Univercity was built opposite an Office Block and all its Parking. As UK no Longer make Motor Vehicles, "Ford European Bus and Truck" no longer needs the building so have gone... It is much Bigger than the New/ex Univercity Building... If the new owners can find Enough Wealthy Tennants it will become a block of flats .
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

The fact that your local council ran out of money before project was complete has a certain resonance. The aforementioned Wolverhampton City Council decided that an area of the City Centre called Queen's Square required some embellishment. It began by installing a number of large raised flower beds. Feeling that this was a little tame, some towering intellect came up with the idea of installing a number of of small water spouts that emerged between some of the paviours that they had laid. The cost of installation was well within budget, as was running costs for the electrical pumps. What this person had failed budget for was the water cost. He/she/they assumed that if you squirted five litres of water, a metre into the air, the whole five litres would be returned to the large cistern beneath the square. Clearly, losses from evaporation were not taken into account. So a scheme costing a couple of million pounds in capital costs doesn't work for the vast majority of the year because the council cannot afford the running costs!
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I'm over whelmed by the incredible incompetence of these ideas. What ever happened to common sense I wonder?

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

I regret, Rwth, that this is the result of Universal Suffrage, putting any non-entity into Power ... Bring back SCREAMING LORD SUCH... things were easier then.