Well, well, well, it’s October

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Re: Well, well, well, it’s October

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

We went up the hill above Minehead after our meeting at church and it was pouring with rain. We waited for it to stop and took a walk in a short spell of sunshine, then came home and slept all afternoon.

Chicken and cabbage and cauliflower for dinner, with Eton mess for pudding. It hardly touched the sides.

My bulbs are in and I'm looking forward to spring now. He blew all the leaves together and piled them up then covered the pile with branches, so we are a bit tidier. My ramp is made but not installed because the shower guy who is doing it has fallen ill again.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Have I offended people ... My Pooter is HP, but they are neither my connector, my Browser, nor my Security, nor my E-mailer nor mt pootermender... but HP just told me that I have to re-start .. so I did, It took three attempts to restatrt, then another two attempts to open open here.. So ... Who have I upset.
My intent was to try response from NHS (Local Hospital has my proper address but not Doc). But cant go there (dont laught, The NHS is in the offices of the tobacco factory - couldn't make it up, could you).. where was I - Can't visit NHS, cos I have an appointment with Nursey aat 13:10... but my last visit there advertised that they were closed 12:00 to 14:00.
I had a chat with Pharmacist re which Doc has Least problems - Migh t have a wander round re distance, busses etc.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

You are doing well. You're in here again, and you're making progress. I hope you went to the appointment. If the pharmacist is happy to let you have some meds to tide you over, even if it's only testing papers, but other vital supplies, that would be spiffing!

We went to the reservoir and saw some geese, and what I at first thought was a swan, but realised after a couple of minutes was a marker buoy for the sailing club. The water's still down, and I hope it fills up a lot more over the winter. The hide is at the dry end, and I miss the water birds, especially the Great Crested Grebes with their long dives and stunning courting routines. They also, like the swans carry their babies on their backs.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi, Making haste slowly (Very).

No reservoir here (as soon as I wrote that, I realised I was wrong - Hanningfield Reservoir betwixt Here and Chelmsford... Lots of Bird life, but seldom see other critters)... there I've lost the thread again - Several small Nature reerve's here. Accross the Railway track .. conversely No waterbirds. it is mostly woodland, so this estate is Knee deep in foxes. .. I have not sorted Photy's from Steam Paddle boat to London. It is difficult to see much to photo? The Paddle steamer is not very tall above the water, and of course, the embankments are above water level, and above the decks of paddle steamer - and the top deck is not always clear of people, it is the most popular deck. ... and.. The Essex Marshes are low and flat, thus it is difficult to see into the "new" Reserve over the embankment walls a WW I gun testing place... Took years to clear it, and the "Powers that be" kept the populace out until the breeding critters are returned (Including them "Boomimg" Bitterns, But don't tell Merms .. they emigrated from the piccadily circus sailings of The Norfolk Broads). Actually, I'm quite happy that the area is not readily accessible to passers-by.

When I worked in Crowded London, The Swans with much flapping and homking used to emigrate over our office - a notable annual event. But don't laugh...another notable events was the "Angel" Pub in Ilford High Road. There was a very small patch of pub garden at the back of the building. Sparrowhawk perhaps? Perhaps I'll make an escuse to go back to the Current occupants of "Treasury" - I think my Pension comes from my old desk.

Back to Raid NHS tomorrow.
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

GLO, of course you're not offending anyone ... at least not here, that I'm aware of!

We had a bit of a drama ... one of our Bengals managed to get out accidentally on Sunday (they are indoor cats). No sign of her at dinner time; no sign of her overnight; we were frantic! Searching all around, and letting the neighbours know ... then last night, when I went out for the half-hourly call I'd been making, I got a reply. A slightly hesitant "meowww?", then when I called again she obviously recognised my voice and gave out with her full-throated "MEEEEEOWWWWWWWWWW!" She doesn't seem to have come to any harm, but she was hungry ... and wolfed down her dinner with great enthusiasm - in between meows, mad purring, and head-bumping!
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

I sort of lost track of which beasts you are of servants to, and which is related to which..
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

Our three girls: Perry (the one who went missing) is the middle one of the three (obviously Isa, to the right, isn't a Bengal)! They're all around 10 years old, Isa is about 3 months older than the two Bengal girls - who are genuine sisters, they're litter-mates.

http://zenphoto.intricatewebs.com/Cats/IMG_0016.JPG
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Not Hignoring... Just got phone calls for Hosp appoints and causing more questions thans than answers.

Yes, I was Thinking that you had An older Bengal, But I remember ISA

Gotta go 6.7 Kilo of Big Ginger is shouting for service... again...
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Have you still got Chandra? I remember the excitement when he was on his way, still with his mother. After the grief of his predecessor's sad accident. I'm glad that Perry found her way home in time for dinner.

I have been seeing the pictures of cats that were missing after the California Fires on Facebook. Some have been miraculously found and reunited with their servants. It's amazing what they've survived and all seem to look a little wild eyed. Will they blame their servants for their own escape from the infernos I wonder?

We have two nearby reservoirs. One, Clatworthy is not accessible to man nor beast, but the one I go to with Cassie is Wimbleball which I think supplies Clatworthy, no doubt via filters. There were, and are 3 in Birmingham. Bartley Green, which OH used to sail on with his Mirror dinghy, Muttley and the slightly larger Miracle dinghy Dastardly. People used to say it was misspelt, so I'd answer "Yes, he was going to call it Dastarbly". The third was Brindley's reservoir in Edgbaston that supplied the Central Canal system. That had Swans, Canada Geese, Great crested Grebes, Shovellers, Mallards, Coots and Moorhens and lots of Gulls. There were other places for birds too in Sandwell Valley and the Heron nursery with as many as 30 nests was quite a sight. Too far for me to walk now.

I took Blunders there once , to the closer Swan Pool, and the Fire brigade had been summoned to rescue a dog that was swimming and maybe attacking the swans, but the male was defending his family. There were 3 fire engines and a couple of firemen on a little inflatable raft. In the end, the owner peeled off his outers, dived in himself and brought his dog to safety.
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

Yes indeed, Chandra is most definitely still with us! He's almost all grown-up now (well, he's physically grown up - but I think he still thinks he's a kitten). I'll provide some current photos sometime soon.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Had lots of "Stuff" to get doing, and just realized how late it is (it explains the headache).
Yes I'm surprised about older Cats behaving like kittens.. and not just cats.. The family round the corner have the Biggest German Shepherd I've ever seen, and certainly not young. He was chasing leaves in the breeze just like a kitten, I fell over him. If ever I wanted, had space, and could manage the food bill.. then I'd have one of them.

Gotta go ........
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

After several weeks sleeping in a broken bed, the handyman has repaired it for me. He has also put brushes in the gutter and repaired my dining chairs. I am really delighted. One of the chairs was in the shed and the padlock had rusted. I found the WD40 and he freed it and repaired the chair in the shed. Having both a gardener and a handyman is a real treat.

My neighbour who looked after Cassie on meeting days was passionate about German Shepherds. She still talks about having one in her residential home, and while it's never going to be possible, I imagine how she'd love it. Even now, Cassie has her 'crackerdog' moments, which I'm sure keeps all our pets active and happy into old age. She's 12 now.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Oh dear, I'm not doing very well at catching up today...

Another thing about German Shepherds is that they know their place.. So will look after your cat as well as any Human Family.

Can't remember what I've Mentioned.. But I High Court (Thats a bit vague, dont know what "High Court") has already ordered that my Local Gov gould not change House address (I knew that, The idea was that in the 1920's Fire engines had Engines and a recent war had trained many (surviving) men could drive, thus the fire service would only rapidly get to a housefire IF people couldnt willynilly move addresses. Hence houses recorded for as long as that site remains. 1925 Health act.). This also accounts why Doc used a different address on my prescriptions, but I have aso had missives from Patients Services (It is now called P.A.L.S. now), that The Hospital has my rightful address. - so far by phone : I want to read the small print, but it has put a spring in my walk ... well in my stagger.
Not yet written to MP to get him to chase up the councils corrections, but I was trying to get some petty amounts from Credit Union (sort of Local savings group) to get some Sub to trigger some Domestic repairs. but... it seems that with only the false address (given by council for Polloing address) records that at my proper address, I'm not an elector??? so a bit of a problem re Domestic Pocket.

Actually.. That is a Precis of problems that accured during my illness... CAB next I think.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

My mind (whats left of it) is bumping all over the place. Rwth, You Mentioned the Cats in the California Fire.. Have you been following the Rescues in "Tiny Kitten" and FDJ Critter Room in Canada. Shelley has been rescuing cats that have gone Feral, and making them save and neutering, or Making the Semi-ferals sociable, health repared well (and de-flead) and rehomed. FDJ is involved in nursing the Pregnant a newly mothered Cats.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Well done. You are making progress with this house numbering fracas. You might be able to get Attendance allowance which can be used for anything you can't do for yourself now. I use mine for gardening and handyman running repairs and I think it covers the cost of my fortnightly cleaners too. But I pay for that anyway, as I used to have a (different) useless gardener instead of the useful one. Once I'm fit to do it myself, I'll tell them to stop paying it and give back my blue badge. But it'll probably be well into the spring before I get my op, then recovery time, well into summer. Make hay while the sun shines.

I'm interested in what happens with the California fires generally. The singing firemen, the rescued pets, including hens and rabbits. Hoping that the winemaking people of the world will help put the vineyards back together with cuttings since California rescued the French and Spanish when they had the Phylloxera virus. Maybe the new California wines will be even better than before.
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

I discovered something about Californian wine a while back ... it's a bit like Indians and tea. They keep the very best for themselves, what they "allow" out of the state (never mind out of the country!) is rarely the best ;-)
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I'm not surprised. I just hope they can't possibly drink it all so will have to sell some of it and improve the quality sold away.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Sorry I'm innatentive - I seem to have more work to keep Secure and solvent than when I was working.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Don't worry about it. It's nice to hear from you anyway.

I was expecting my cleaner today, but apparently, I had made the appointment for next week. It will give me more time to rearrange things.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

DON'T SMOKE... Gas people been pneumatic drilling early this a.m., and have now placed Np Smoking Signs to the Footpath under my house....