Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Re: SEPTEMBER? ALREADY?

Post by goodlookingone »

Cold, but only slightly moist here.
Afraid I lost the Geography re Rwths wherabout. I thought it was Minehead, but ....?
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

GLO, Rwth is indeed based in Minehead, just further North and East of St Ives.

As for my view earlier that it was brightening, indeed it did. However, the bright spells have alternated with blustery showers. More than once we've readied ourselves to exit the hotel only to find that the blue skies have disappeared behaving lowering clouds and horizontal rain. We did finally get out for an hour long stroll along the beach.

Tomorrow we head for Penzance and Marazion. Going to rain again!

Enjoy your Sunday evening all
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Assume this is a coach (or train) ... as you can see, my De-cluttering has got as far as putting my maps "Somewhere safe". I'm sure you will give your walking boots some exercise soon.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Assume this is a coach (or train) ... as you can see, my De-cluttering has got as far as putting my maps "Somewhere safe". I'm sure you will give your walking boots some exercise soon.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

GLO, it's a coach. Penzance and Marazion are fine but, there's a call at Lands End too. Not so keen on going there. It's just a retail opportunity.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Well, the weather forecast for Cornwall today was dire. 'Heavy, blustery showers' were predicted with occasional sunny spells.

Yes, it's been windy but, blustery showers? No way! It's been a very pleasant sunny day and, out of the wind it was pleasantly warm. If this is the 'worst day of the week', bring on the best one!
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

This damn Pooter Hates me - But I managed to get here at last???

I'm glad you had Good Walking, Even if cold for Dallying.

It has been Cold and Draughty here, with a couple of Thunderstorms. I have been rather tied up on Utility matters. Why is the Income Tax People still asking me for my cash flow four years after my last Contract...?

Perhaps I'll have a nearly night...
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

A bit of dalliance is good. I'm glad the weather has improved. I hope the rest of your holiday is as good or better Brian.

Just tell them you've only had your pension. Did you have a P45 from the agency? Maybe a photocopy might convince them. But don't let them have the original to lose.

I've been organising a bit emptying the washing machine of clothes and just washing a batch of towels. Trying on my new shoes. A bit tight over the top at first, but loosening and they are just the official length. I've been buying a sizetoo big in despair, these very wide fittings are fine.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Don't have a P45. Thats the point.. I have worked or not work as Needs and opportunity arise. All the Management Services outfits know me.
I'd love to have some work, but I'm not up to it yet.. Who knows what might happen... or what my needs might be.

Afraid I cant remember when I last bought shoes.. Perhaps I'm odd but I've always felt comfortable wearing toetectors .. and they last aaagggeesssssss.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Ah, 'Toetectors'! Despite working in the metal-finishing industry, it was the norm to wear steel capped boots. In fact, in most cases it was mandatory. The problem for me was that, as a senior manager I was expected to wear a suit and shiny shoes. The suppliers of the safety footwear we were issued with had a rather limited range. As such, I travelled around with three lots of footwear; safety boots, 'decent' shoes and, wellies (I often visited muddy building sites).

We finally changed suppliers and the new catalogue had a much wider range of more 'normal looking' shoes. Have to say that, I had a pair that no-one believed were safety shoes. They took polish really well.

The range also included shoes that looked like trainers and, a lot of guys on the shop floor were drawn to those.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I remember my handyman at my old house. He thought that now he was self employed he didn't need a hard hat. He probably didn't need one as a plasterer on sites, but he anchored the plastic covering on my reglazed side veranda window with bricks. Predictably, one fell on his head and gave him concussion. Maybe it was my phoning him that made him lose focus because I was on the phone to him when it happened, or just afterwards. I said if he felt sick or dizzy to go to A & E because it was either concussion or a broken skull.

In my defence, I hadn't bought any shoes for about 3 years, including trainers. These were from a firm catering for swollen and sensitive feet. Part of the investment in good stuff from my PPI windfall. They will probably last me a very long time. The Podiatrist recommended them 7 years ago, and in my house move, I had lost one of the pair I originally bought from them. I don't go on building sites, my own home presents enough challenges.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Oddly, Eurostar merely asked one to wear "Sturdy Shoes". It was wearing Hard Hats that were Mandatory... Even more oddly was that Hard Hats were were just the size for the Pit footway to bring the hard hat level to wedge your Head into each inboard Brake discs,,, all of the 36 non-powered axles...
Then just as you think you are safe from being "Wedged" one would colide by the Copper "Brush" for one of the railways Signal controls...
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

We cross posted Rwth.. I never took well to heights.. Even more oddly was that there were different Rules about Roofs ot Electrickery at Eurostar re Train heights - I prefered to stand on the Dais... well out of reach There were all the Voltages en route AC and DC in the Depot. Actually one was safe.. One put a padlock on the Overhead switch-box, Put your own name next to the Padlock Register and put the keys in your pocket.. But I never FELT safe..
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Weird emotion, 'feeling safe'. When I was self-employed for several years, one the areas I covered was health and safety consultancy. It was I maintained, a logical area relying heavily on common sense. Further, whilst I had worked primarily in the field of chemicals I took the view that, whilst not an engineer I could apply the rule book and look at any job logically. So it proved.

However, I recall a contract at a company using power presses. These machines ranged in sizes from small ones up to (What the Works Manager described as 'bloody big b........) very large ones capable of a force of several tonnes.

Now, all such presses had to have guards that prevented the operator from putting their hands between the two sides of the press tool and operating the press. Some were mechanical and some relied on an infra-red beam which stopped the press if the beam was broken. The people using thes presses trusted their safety equipment implicitly and, I'm sure that they were right to do so. However, I have to say that I could never be induced to put my hand into the 'danger area' for a kings ransom!

Give me hazardous chemicals to handle: cyanide, acids, alkali, all sorts of nasties, I was fine. My confidence faded where machines were involved.

'Storm Eileen' is beginning her assault on the Cornish coast. At present, she is making her presence felt in the form of persistent rain. However, winds locally at expected to reach Storm force 10 overnight. It's not 'Irma' but, our room with a sea view gives us a grandstand seat!

Enjoy your evenings.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Rwth, you may be interested to know that we have received news via carrier pigeon that, the Leader of Birmingham City Council has resigned. He has been under pressure over his mishandling of the bin strike.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Well, Storm Aileen seems to have blown through the South-West, leaving us with a bright morning. At least, at the moment.

Enjoy your days
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I posted last night to say I was in the dark and posting by candlelight, but my home hub was discomnockerated and it obviously didn't post. I leaped out of bed and got dressed thinking the handyman was about to arrive in 15 minutes, but it was only quarter to 7, not quarter to 9. I wasn't wearing my specs and my clock will only be right at the end of October. It's an hour behind this summer.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

WRqth, I was sorry to read that you lost power last night presumably , due to 'Storm Aileen'. Certainly, the worst of the storm appears to have passed well to the North of us. There were dire predictions of the winds last night being force 7 or 8, gusting to force 9 or 10. I know that 'Storm force 10' on the coast can be a formidable beast. However, it was nothing close to that.

Today, we fully intended to take the train to in the opposite direction to St Ives. It's a fairly short trip but, the intention was to pop into some of the towns en route. The main aim was to call at Lelant Saltings, a river estuary with opportunities for a little bird watching. We knew that high tide was due mid morning so, we decided to bust St Erth and Hayle first. Sadly it rained either side of our journey to St Erth and we elected return to StIves. We knew that on a changeable day, there would be places where we could shelter in St Ives. As it was, we arrived at St Ives in glorious sunshine that remained with use all the time we were there. It has only showed signs of clouding over in the last hour.

Enjoy your evenings.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Hello. It's been busy today. Trying to tidy up for a visit from the boiler service person. Orchestra run through today, and just got back in time for new service bod. After changing sheets, which I had promised myself all week to do, I feel very tired. I've been doing a course on Mass extinctions, and one on Farming for climate change. There's another one or two that started at the same time so I've got my work cut out. After 3 itemsfor the Parish Magazine sent in time for a change from the Rector, he sent a revised version today. And I've been printing out versions of the music from photographs that seem to be too dark to read properly. I may have to resort to photocopies instead. We've had the schedule for the Quiz matches for the next couple of months, so I had to email DD to ask her if she was planning to visit on a Thursday.

I hope your holiday is staying clement for at least some of the time Brian. You are supposed to get a rest as well so don't overdo it.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

I appreciate your concern Rwth. However, reading about your activities yesterday, the expression about 'pots', 'kettles' and, 'black' springs readily to mind. Your life appears to be a positive whirlwind in comparison to mind.

I hope that you and Cassie are staying well.

The Lizard, Helston and, Porthleven for us today. Then tomorrow we head homewards.

Enjoy your days.