Well, It's August!

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Re: Well, It's August!

Post by Brians Cravat »

GLO, the whole thing may have some basis in fact. It's possible that a tank carrying some chemical substance vented tanks a little was off shore.

However, we've all witnessed the suddenness in which a sea fret/mist can descend. On such occasions the temperature can fall quickly, maybe just two or three degrees but, if people have been enjoying warm sunshine temperatures appear to plunge in minutes. The atmosphere can change suddenly.

It just needs one person to claim that there's is an odd smell or, of feeling nauseous and a form of Chinese whispers takes over. Before you know, the change in atmospheric conditions, hearing people complain of being unwell and a type of panic takes over. It's a totally natural reaction.

I don't blame the people 'affected'. On the contrary, their brains are processing information that they rarely come across.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Yes, Brian. My strong believe is that no one will find a Definate cause.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

We sometimes have a warning that nasty plastic deposits are landing on the beach. Since the Bristol Channel is fairly busy with cargo ships, we take it seriously and don't take our dogs on the beach. We warn other dog owners of the same thing. The nicest beach we can use all the year round has a causeway with a short or long drop at the end depending on what the sea feels like doing. So I haven't taken a walk there for quite a while. There is another, but I tend to use the coast path away from the beach. I haven't noticed any strong smells except when the farm decides to empty its slurry pit on the fields over the road and there is quite a bit of leakage. It is strong, but I don't mind a bit of methane occasionally. I'll ask the new landlord (a woman) if she'd consider investing in a methane digester to power the milking parlour or the house. If I get to meet her one day.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Afraid Ships got too big to go into london, so perhapa that is why beaches are relatively clean (or at least APPEAR to be clean) Oil and Gas of course. - those odd commodities that are never seen. Yes, I've met Farming smells. I used to operate "Rambles" (our gang of four used take turns to operate the Norh of London Monthly ingress of fresh air). After one particular well rehearsed route, I found on the actual day, that an overpowewring odour from the Turkey sheds - I didn't know it was a Turkeyshed - I can't imagine how the Turkey coud stand it.
My geography is poor, and I actually believed that yo hived nearer the South coast that The Severn..
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

'Agricultural' smells are quite common and, oddly enough only give rise to complaints when they change or, there's a change in wind direction. This is because we become accustomed to smells and, sometimes noise. I worked for many years in in the paint industry. Many paints for industrial use nowadays are water-based but back then they were solvent-based producing very strong odours. People visiting the plant would often ask "How do you put up with this smell all day.?" Of course we were so familiar with it that, we masked it out and weren't aware of it. However, if someone walked past wearing perfume or aftershave, it was immediately noticeable.

I guess that we learn to ignore the familiar but, the unusual heightens the senses and creates suspicion and even fear.

As for events of the Essex, I believe that people were simply enjoying the warm, sunny weather when the sea fret descended. The temperature would have dropped quickly and as we know, mist and fog has an aroma all of its own.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Well. Yes - actually it was the Sussex Coast with the Mist/Clouds/Poison. The Essex coast is usually Poison free.
Yes I know what you mean about Industrial Noise - The first Time I did a contract in The Tractor Factory (it was called Ford in those days) The racket was err a racket. .. And the smell from the Spray shop. Since then of course, UK gave its Production to EU - The last place I was there The Casting and Machining half of the Factory all stood idle (Basildon's famous Cooling Tower - The Mushroom in the sky - is still prominent but unused) - - The place just has 300 bods as an assembly shop for whatever Brand-name and components wants to Fiat wants to use. Some one ..??.. parked the industrial area behind a Hill - The Park became a Park and "Tree bank" for planting elsewhere elsewhere - to Hide it from Homes and sports, BUT, The council still invoked an order to stop the Paint-spray smells. Hence different materials. and Filters in the roof above the Spray shop...
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

I'm midway between using Blunders' laptop to get access to the printer and casting off this one. The problem is the Macafee firewall which won't let me send docs to the printer on this laptop and problems with getting the Windows firewall to switch on.

Because I knew the electrical people would be turning off my power, I got them to move their 3 large vehicles out of my drive so that I could get to my pedicure on time. I had to get a flat tyre sorted out, after the RAC had been last night to change the wheel. It turned out to be a combination of a funny rim and a tyre valve. So when I got back I went on the bed and slept most of the afternoon.

The weather forecast alleged that there was a 10-20% chance of rain today so I left the washing out. It's been rinsed again several times. The met office usually gets it right so we'll see what happens tomorrow.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Do we need to start a new page for a new Calender...?
Yes, Pooteration is getting to me . Must get Pootermender who seems to have gone AWOL before last week's Bank Hol.
Must sort out this retirment Lark. Need some cash flow before I go gettingyre Repairs. I found a firm in the Midland who can make 1953 Tyres. It feels so odd not having a task to do: Still getting odd dreams about What?who/where I'm supposed to be addressing.
Oh, I'm rambling again .. Back Later.