Well, It's August!

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Re: Well, It's August!

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

Did she use the carry box or did she try just putting him in the car with her? I think they are perhaps more likely to take to travelling. Cassie can wriggle out of her harness before I can get into the driving seat. She'll wear it to go for a short walk, but the moment it is attached to a seat belt, it's history. She looks at me as if to say "Harness? What harness?"
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

We had a cat who had very definite "views" about things - one of which was carry cages. We had a wire cat-carrier, the only one we had a chance of getting him into - and once had to haul him in it to the vet. In surgery - out of cage like a rocket. Until vet perpetrates the indignity of taking his temperature ... cue cat re-entering carrier, splaying himself out and rooting himself to the interior with his claws. We had to hold the carrier vertically, with both of us plus veterinary assistant prising paw after paw loose! One very unimpressed cat .....
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

No.. You won't catch him if He gets loose (And Cab firms insist on a box).
Vet reckons that the unfamiliar domain (and the smell of disinfectant used on the examination table after each patient) made them Very Cautious - Tipping then out sometimes works - but on Friday I has two appoints - firstly with the vet, then with the claw-trimming nurse (Hope she has gauntlets).

Jut flitted in from a discussin elsethread on Pets having Fits. (recollections of Mum's dawg).

Oh Hell, its more than half-way through the Month - I'd better do an intermediate washing-up...
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Afternoon everyone.

It's been busy here at Cravat Towers. Had our granddaughters for two days. They certainly take some entertaining. Low boredom threshold when on holiday from school. They are back with us tomorrow and due to stay overnight too. The plan to entertain them tomorrow is to take them into Birmingham. A number of 'charity bears' have been distributed around the City Centre, all painted differently. There is a list for them to tick off, as we find bears. We're not going to find all of them but, it should keep them amused

Tuesday was spent looking at a new car. A few things need to be considered but, I think that we'll be taking delivery of a replacement for our three year old car by late September. Today has been spent retaking and re-insuring our existing car. I also sent for my renewed driving licence as I'll be 70 in mid-November.

We have a cat basket for transporting out monochrome feline resident around. Oddly enough the first cat we had would happily sleep on the rear shelf of the car, without any problems. This one however, needs to be kept securely in his basket.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I can just open the tailgate and say "In" and she jumps in and either lies down or stands up to watch the journey. She tends to sleep on the motorway stretches, but likes to supervise the variable bits. Cassie is better behaved in the car than in the house, in that I can leave her there with a big drink and roof open and as long as it isn't too hot she's happy to wait. She knows I won't go anywhere without her.

I've trimmed the orchids and repotted the Dieffenbachia so those are back in the bathroom. The steam will do them good if they survive my ministrations. The Amaryllis has also been trimmed back to the bulb and will be put outside for a sleep until November when it will be potted up again in a tall glass vase and watered. Or I'll forget all about it and buy another one. It gave me 4 huge red striped flowers then came back again from a second stalk and gave me another 3. I stopped watering some time ago, but the leaves were obviously feeding the bulb and I left them alone as long as possible.

My blood pressure was quite low this morning and I was fibrillating a bit, but it's probably nothing to worry about. I'm fine now, and only knew because the machine said so.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Rwth I have to say that, I've held off buying a blood pressure machine for reasons closely allied to your experience today. I'd do a daily reading, noting any fluctuations and wondering what these might indicate for the coming hours. Likewise, any slight feeling of things not being 100% well would have me looking out the machine and trying to link two, possibly unrelated matters. My GP knows me far too well and, has been known to warn me off from looking at the internet when I perceive particular 'symptoms'. I'm not yet a hypochondriac but, I think that too much information could tilt me that way.

The 'Great Brummie Bear Hunt' was a roaring success. Together with our granddaughters (3 & 7) we covered the best part of five miles. Their enthusiasm remained at maximum for much of the five hours we were in and around the City Centre. There were twenty or so bear cub models in the Museum and Art Gallery and, even the three year-old attacked the various staircases with gusto. On the car journey back from the railway station, the youngest fell asleep and, her elder sister was definitely flagging. It's good to know that, at nearly 70 we grandparents can still wear kids out.

The younger one was fairly apprehensive about the rail journey. She couldn't recall having been on a train previously. We had to split up when we boarded the train into Birmingham and, she and her sister sat across the aisle from OH and myself. There was a gentleman sitting in the seat facing the girl's and the youngest clearly felt that this was very strange. She kept casting glances at him as if to say, "Who are you and, why are you sitting there?" They are both very outgoing normally but, this clearly wasn't a 'normal' situation.

Household shop this morning, just as soon a Daddy has picked the girls up.

Have a good weekend everyone. What's happened to the word game.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi each. I don't think I've ever caught Hypochomdria.

I am (have become) a Miserable old man.. Its GREEEAATT.

Wanted to see the Airshow at Clacton, But I also manted a meander up the coast to looking at possibly moving home. Houses are alledgedly cheaper in N Essex, so wanted a wander round - as much as possible without a car.

The Airshow was fine - The red arrows were as usual A1, The Battle of Britain was a bit disappointment. The "Merlin" engines (Spitfire, Hurricanes, Lancaster) all in for modifications and the single (more low-level poered) Griffin engine 1945 Spitfire sounded"all wrong". Very sensible to keep the populace safe by having the display over the Sea (Commentry Barge, and orange Bouys marking "The Arena"). But the Populace .. AAaaarrrghhhhh. One old red faced red nosed gent on the footpath by the Walkway up from the seawall. Some sort of post-display pop music with parties of kids were doing arm wavin/clapping/gesticulating under the lead of their .. Who knows, Teachers, Childrens Home staff, Guides??? The old Gent was Shouting abuse that they were doing it wrong - The Leader of the third group was actually accosted.. She accused further ire when she'd knocked his beercan out of his hand.. Without stopping her dance leading She punched him on his Red nose ... amd continued her group (still dancing) down to the coachpark...

Then their was the woman laying on the steps to the ladies loo - Five Polices tending to her with a first-aider - Two more polices "Discussing" the problem with two blokes - whe were backing away ending cornered.. A Police van arrived with a Policewoman I guess, although in Mufti picked up the fallen woman and took her away in handcuffed..

Then there was onother strange bloke - Somebodys Embarrasing Uncle. instructing a bawling child how to play with a toy he Didn't want - Hand round his neck and shoving him into a direction he didn't want, and shouted Drill-sergeant opinions about two inches from kids face - I bet He'll remember his day at the seaside.

Decided not to gome back for the Evening Display so got a bus Northwards to see houses and prices Holland, and Walton.. Much depressed by the ill-behaved populace there - especially the adults. Frinton looked more interesting, but I was warned about crossing the railway to Frinton - No buses there, no shos (although seven months ago a Hilltop Tea shop was attempted.. A long deceased friend of mine (Repairs for my Armstrong-Siddeley Car clubs repairman), Retired to Frinton - was OK except that He was being pressed into doing press-ups and stuff by a once-upon-a-time TV Keep fitter for afternoon womans programme.

Aimed for railway station Entertaining show betwixt Station staff, Polices, Diplay screen, Train Drivers, all thinking each platform would be the next London bound train and where it stops...
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I hope you find somewhere nice, GLO. Did you mean the Green Goddess? That would be fairly troublesome. Diana Moran I think.

I'm glad I don't go to airshows if that's what they're like. Maybe when he's grown up that child will realise that just giving a present is enough. It doesn't need enforcing. Or maybe he'll 'get' the idea of the toy next week when the pressure's off.

Glad your granddaughters enjoyed their day. I just record the readings on a spreadsheet and let the Pharmacist consultant at the GP practice do any worrying that's necessary. I learned not to worry when I had cancer. Just do it for 5 mins in the sun on a park bench so that the gremlins would know who's boss and leave, however grumpily.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Wasn't seeking a house at present, but wanted a lurk into the area

Twas some years that Alan retired to Frinton .. Eileen something was his nemesis (Would Her surname be Fowler???).

North of Essex, but inland a bit sounds like nicer m- fraid Memory not what it was.. Maybe round by the Steam Trains... or By the Village with the name including "Castle", but I want another look... (and maybe a look at up-to-date bus map?). Not planning on any moves yet .. Perhaps I can rent a cage in Colchester Zoo.

Was also thinking of another day at my Childhood home (Just forra look, not moving there). Afraid Last time I ventured into London, I slipped on Station steps and did myself a mischief...
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Just t6hought of something to a previous visit in Clacton. Clacton had an Outstation from Colchester General Hospital - i think the area Health Authority was called "Twin Rivers" I had to find out what happened in the Receptionists/Secretariat in Clacton. One Medical Sec was a very nice young woman was an Amatuer Actress.

They were Playing Dickens "David Copperfield" The pretty youn woman was playing Copperfields First Wife, "Dopy Dora".

I wish I'd have been able to get away that Evening (but I had work in Colchester).The play needed a lap dog, so that Coipperfield could ooh and ahh because dora had held the dog close to her and Copperfield needed to feel the closeness..... It seems that the lapdog was AWOL, So the Directors St Bernard was forced into Service. The Director was Busy Directing so a runner was sent for the dog.. The St Bernard objected and lay down in the Middle of Jackson Road... Whilst Dora had to make do with an inarticulate bundle of clothes I really wish I'd been there.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Yes, being able to see things happening is quite wonderful. Maybe imagining it is just as good - better since your imagination is clearly well up to it. OH's description of an amateur production where the throne began to swing to and fro very slowly, and when the messenger ran up to say that "The King your liege is not dead but lives, my Queen", Her majesty who was quite wooden said "Oh. great. joy." was so vivid I could almost see it happen. A friend's description of Yates' Wine Lodge in Peterborough or further East, which had a palm court orchestra was fairly interesting. Every note was almost in tune and when they were asked to play the Jealousy Tango they managed a few bars before morphing into their usual repertoire.

I'm not going far this weekend. We are close to the route to North Devon and Cornwall. Crossing the main road seems the only option.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

GLO,
Sadly I am not at all familiar with Essex and it's coastal regions. In fact, the East Coast is a bit of a mystery to me. Had holidays in Kent and Skegness as a kid but that's the extent of my knowledge of the eastern side of the country. I suppose that living in the West Midlands, Wales and the rest of of the West of the UK is easier to reach.

Quiet day here. A few jobs around the bungalow and our garden. Tomorrow as it may be dry, we will empty the conservatory out into the back garden and give it a thorough clean. It's a job that we've been meaning to do for a little while but, has been deferred due to the recent rains.

Enjoy your evenings and your tomorrows.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Well Brian: I think many peoples mind of Essex Coast is the Flood - Usually called 1952, but it was overnight on New Year, so the bodies didn't show up until the Clearance in Jan/Feb.
OK. Very Brief.. About 1,000 of which 350 were UK (remainder in Netherlands) High tides/winds/poor wartime Sea defences, except for Military Defences re Thames Estuary where the High build Anti aircrat/Navy stopped the floods escaping from the Essx Marshes.

I'f like to livr further away from London, but not too enthusiastic about the Flatlands (The Naturalist have and will want to flood the reclaimed Farmland...) - One of the flooded Hulks is believed to be Darwins Ship, The Beagle, is Sunk when demoted to Smugglers Picket duty.. Oh I'm rambling again.. However... The two "New Towns" are now too crowded for my liking, but as I have no successoors I feel inclined to find somewhere more pleasant, and put some spending money in my wallet.. Just thinking alloud at present.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

When I first came down here, and before that, I decided that living in a 3 bedroom house in a city was a waste of a good house that a family could live in, so when I found this place, I was really pleased with it. It's quite small but it's big enough for me. It's a pleasant part of the world so I'm happy. The people who bought my house already have a baby, so I've achieved something for the housing market.

It's been dry for a couple of days and I must get watering tonight. The plants I bought in pots are wilting. It looks like being dry until the hurricane gets over here. I don't think it can have much water left now. But no doubt there are more surprises in store.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Of course, I recall reading of the 1952 flood on the East Coast. I also recall one close to Rwth's current home, Lynton/Lynmouth if memory serves.

Of course finding a new home is a difficult and tortuous process at the best of times. I regard my OH and I as really fortunate. This is our third home since we were married in 1961 and all three were lucky finds for us.

At the time we found our first home 'gazumping' had just entered the vocabulary. Homes we're becoming exceptionally difficult find and, expensive to buy. Few estate agents were involved in the process back then. Homes were privately advertised in the local paper a Wednesday. From personal experience, I can confirm that the paper could be obtained from the paper's head office as soon as the first edition was published at 12 Noon. A few minutes could be taken to select a few interesting properties. However, after heading for the nearest telephone box, it was disappointing to find that the homes in question had already gone.

Even where a property was still available, could be viewed, be subject to an offer from the purchase, there was a phone call from the vendor the following day to say that someone else had made an increased offer. When we started looking a two bedroom semi-detached home in a reasonable were selling for £1800 to £2000. We finely purchased our first home for £3600! I'm sure that the prices in the larger cities exceeded even this. We were fortunate that, when we went to view the house the middle-aged couple actually took a liking to us and, even rejected a subsequent offer greater than ours and, in cash.

Our second home was in Sedgley and, was a four bedroom house where we brought up our family. We were high on a hill overlooking the Severn Valley. From the living room window we could clearly see the Malvern Hills. From the rear bedroom windows it was possible to see the Wrekin. We were right on the Western edge of the West Midlands conurbation with 'the countryside' just a matter of a few minutes walk away. The school on the estate was excellent and, there were good local services too.

As our children grew up and began to leave us for homes of their own, we decided to pursue a long held ambition to buy a bungalow. We started out with certain aims: to live on the estate where we already lived and were happy, to have a good view and, to have bedrooms at the rear of the property. We moved around two hundred yards.

As I say, we've been really very fortunate.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Have Cotacted Cousins Wife (should say, Widow). It seems that whatever blew into Sussex from the Sea escaped here.
Not much Happening (other than Pesky kids Playing outside my door - hence desire to move?)
Fancy doing something constructive ... I'll investigate re-decorating.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I'm glad your cousin's widow is unaffected by the miasma, GLO. I expect the children will be back at school soon so that should reduce the nuisance value a little. Have you any preferences as to colour/paper? I've gone as far as buying paint, but will have to get someone in to do it. My attempt on my previous bedroom now study shows an uneven band of pink round the ceiling/wall interface. I may have a little paint left for the handyman to fill in. I can't do much when I'm hobbling round. Irritating, but at least I can get someone competent to do it.

My grandfather came down to Lynton/Lynmouth in the aftermath of the flood and was horrified to see how bad it was. He went home and raised funds to help. His own donation was substantial, but my recollection is of my mother's version of events. Our first house which was the one I sold to come here, we found by driving round the area late at night at the end of the year. OH was most interested in a 3 bed semi that was soundly built, but it was a bit dull. It cost us £22,650 which was of course as far as we could stretch. I did get something back when we left our flat which was a co-ownership flat, and from the initial deposit of £250, I got £1,100 back. It didn't get paid until after we moved out so couldn't form part of the transaction.

I found this place when I came to visit Blunders and we agreed early on that these places would be too small for both of us. It is about 2 minutes walk door to door, and he was very hospitable in the purchasing process. I got it for the stamp duty ceiling price after the vendors reduced the price, and although I finally offered more, they stuck to their decision. Very decent of them, I thought. In fact since it was 18 months after my initial offer and my house had been off the market for 6 months. I did say that once it went back on, I would not mess about and would definitely sell for the best offer I could get. I wanted to insulate this place, and install solar panels. This wasn't possible because of the trees casting too much shade, but I had an air source heat pump instead.

So the deals went through in a gentlemanly manner. I had no patience with gazumping. While the vendors are entitled to get the best deal they can, I don't think they should accept an offer they are willing to stick to, but keep the bidding open. We told our vendors in 1980, that we would not pull out, but if they wanted a better offer they shouldn't accept ours. They were nice people and took us at our word. OH wouldn't give notice at the flat because he thought it needed redecorating but wouldn't do any decorating himself. In the end I repapered the kitchen with predictable semi-competence, and we were off.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

The move to the bungalow, that these days is the embodiment of Castle Cravat. As I wrote previously, it met all our initial expectations. We chose the wrong time to sell, the Autumn of 2009. The Papers were beset with news of 'toxic loans', financial collapse and, the deterioration of the housing market. Luckily we lived on an estate where there is a high demand for properties and, a consequent premium on selling prices. There was some fall in value but, less than expected. We were also warned that we wouldn't sell our home; depressed market, no-one buying etc. However, there is research that virtually all homes sell before they have forty viewings. Ours had 33.

We hadridiculous offers; £20K of guide price, some clown who was concerned about mine shafts and, a woman who would only view if we put our cat outside. Oddly enough, 'Catwoman' made the first offer that we deemed acceptable. Having received that, we headed down to this bungalow to view. It was fine so we made an offer. Sadly, Catwoman withdrew her offer. Fortunately, the couple who owned the bungalow said that they would reserve the property for us, providing they didn't receive an that matched their guide price. Glad to say they didn't and we had a firm offer a couple of weeks later.

Our final bit of fortune came in the form of a very small chain. The couple we were purchasing from were buying a brand new property and our purchasers were moving out of a rented property.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Finding the mysterious 'toxic gas cloud' very difficult to rationalise. This is becauseI have a worked for two employers where large numbers people have reported feeling unwell due to 'a strange smell' in one case and, 'poisonous fumes from a chemical fire' in another.

In the first instance, over a hundred shop floor staff reported feeling unwell due to a smell emanating from a warm-air heating duct. The really strange elements of this event were that, the heating system wasn't on, no two descriptions of smell agreed and, it only ten perc not of staff who were affected.

Regarding the other occasion, there was indeed a chemical fire. I was the only trained chemist working at the company and, I was Health and Safety Manager. Tens of people living near the factory were reportedly taken to the local hospital, allegedly suffering from exposure to the fumes. This included several people who lived a couple of miles up-wind of the site who could not have come into contact with any products of combustion.

The problems began when the local radio station (WM) reported the fire. The presenter at that time was one Ed Doolan, running a phone-in. Some idiot called in to say that, as chemical engineer who could say that the main combustion product of the chemical was 'Mustard gas'. This alarmed the Australian Doolan, to such an extent that he said on air that he'd asked the radio station bosses to evacuate the building and close the station down. They had apparently responded by locking him into the studio. Even so he continued to broadcast alarming messages warning people to keep their windows closed. The main line railway line that ran at the back of the factory was closed and, aircraft diverted away from Birmingham Airport. All of this was reported live on the radio at which, people began dropping like flies and the West Midlands Ambulance Service reported a huge volume of calls.

Sadly, like the first instance about it was shown to be mass hysteria. As was confirmed by the HSE investigation reported: the only combustion products that the chemical in question could produce were water carbon dioxide and a tiny amount of carbon monoxide, the wind at ground leval was extremely light and these combustion products had climbed to an altitude of over a thousand feet where there was a little more wind which had broken up these substances and, no-one receiving hospital treatment had been kept overnight!
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Nowhere near me, So I know only what (local) cousin-in-law tells me. Seems that a mist/fret/sea mist ... who knows? had drifted off the sea into Birling (if Memory serves .. Birling is a low level gap in the cliffs down to the beach... .. I'n going to be careful about the locals .. In the past there were locals blaming the French releasing Nuclear exhaust water into the Sea ... (the Power Station over in France Supplies UK: - Bit of Cable to Dungness B), and the locals suddenly stopped complaining .. CEGB found no leaks. .. So I am sceptical that the French were involved. Local Police Boss investigating the other Agencies - Wrong wind direction for coming from france: Nobody had actually captured it, so no way to analyse: Coast Guard Suggests wind-flow suggested the Shipping Lanes.. Thoughts are to trace the Vessels at the time and hope that a friendly recipient would report the Manifest loaded against the contents that arrived...