Well, It's August!

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Re: Well, It's August!

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

Maybe gentle exercise of the motions that cause the pain until you get past the point of pain would help. It's what I do, and seems to work for me, but of course we aren't all the same. I'm sure you are just as brave as I am in other ways.

I'm going to have to ring the plumber's boss tomorrow and explain why I'm not going to pay him until the job is finished. I tried to ring the plumber and text him, but no reply. I know they do the disassembling of kitchens and bathrooms on Mondays ready for collection by the recycling crew, but they started last Tuesday and nothing got done on Thursday or Friday. Nice boy, but probably has private jobs he wanted to fit in. Or I'm misjudging him and he's been ill. I'm prepared to hear any story. The boss is very sweet and kind. A Frank Muir type gent and wouldn't get nasty with the guy. We are all still friends, but I'm having to fit in cleaners and handyman into next week, so need it to be finished by Tuesday morning.

It's been a nice day, but my kidnapping of my friend for a ride out from the residential home was foiled by the staff who said she wasn't well enough, so we had to turn back. It's been postponed until later in the week. My neighbour is now home from hospital after a heart valve op and pacemaker fit, so we have to hold her back and stop her lifting things. She's too tired at the moment, but when she starts to feel better, she might start taking risks. She's always the one who does things for the residential association, like putting the flood barriers up, so that will have to stop.

Another bash at the Frog Galliard next. I'll play it on the viola which will need more effort to make it sound nice. Retrieving my dubious skills from 60 years ago is quite an undertaking, but I'm getting there. I know I practice more now than I did then.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Morning all.

It's the spasm type pain that I find difficult to cope with, bending, getting out of chairs etc. The Stan of sharp pain really is difficult. Actually, persistent pain is something that I deal with quite well. Prior to my knee replacements, I had developed a range of 'Pain Management' techniques that worked quite well. The pain in my knees from the osteo- arthritis was always there, 24/7. No matter what I did, standing, walking, sitting or, lying down, it was painful. I knew early on that I was a number of years away from knee replacements. Clearly, something need to be done to manage the pain, if I was to live anything approaching a normal life.

Medication was, at best a short term solution. Anti-inflammatories could only do so much and, as with most medication had side-effects. In my case, this came in the form of diarrhoea with all the unpleasantness that such a condition entails. I had two choices in analgeasics, both in the form of codiene derivatives. One form considerably stronger than the other. They too had disadvantages. Both caused differing degrees of constipation. Yes this could balance the primary side-effect of the anti-inflammatory but, did I really want to be juggling three different lots of medication this way. Both forms of analgaesic also tended to become less effective over time. Worst of all the stronger form are highly addictive. I really didn't want to add an addiction to prescription medication to my existing health issues.

We are all capable of raising the threshold at which pain becomes less troubling. I think that if I had experienced the level of pain when I originally developed OA that, I did twenty years later, I don't think that I would have coped. The fact that the pain became progressively worse meant that I could gradually raise my own tolerance level simultaneously.

I learnt a great deal about OA in a fairly short time. Some of the stuff that I read bordered on quackery but, there was some information that was based on sound science and worth investigating further. Some 'acid foods' made OA worse. Citrus fruit in particular needed to be cut down. Oily foods, on the other hand needed to be increased and, I even took dietary supplements like cod-liver oil to add to my intake.

I kept active. Moving maintained a degree of 'tone' in the muscles either side of the knees and, helped reduce bone on bone contact. Yes, I used a stick. The important thing about a stick is to get one which is the right size. Too short or, too long can cause problems. I learnt how to measure sticks properly.

Finally, I used 'distraction techniques. Simply doing something that I needed to concentrate on helped push pAin to the back of my mind.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

You're obviously the expert. Some people do suffer more pain than others. I'm one of the others. Paracetamol brings it down to bearable while walking. Maybe I was lucky with my stick and chose the right size by luck. It's battered and bent but does the job.

I woke to hear the rain pattering down. Too late to get in the washing that I didn't feel like getting in at 1am. It's sunny and windy and I have high hopes for the rest of the day. Plumber says he is coming this afternoon. I'll wait until he arrives before I cheer.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Rwth, I think that there is psychological element to the individual response to chronic pain. I recall a 'Condition Management' course that I attended. The tutor began the first session asking us to give our names and, our health issue(s). Most of the attendees began saying "My names is Jack and I suffer with ........" A couple, including myself went along the lines of, "My name is Brian and, I live with Osteo-arthritis." Clearly, this is something that you adopt.

The issue of 'living with', as opposed to 'suffering with' indicates a different mind-set. In over twenty years of living with OA, the first time I took time off with it was my period of recovery after the first op. OA was part of me, I was never part of it.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I'm getting tired of this. Plumber had to go to hospital for a blood test because the one he had last week didn't work so that's two whole days wasted. I know its 20 miles away, but it shouldn't have taken more than half a day. Yes, I'm being unreasonable. The NHS takes its own time.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Good morning everyone.

Rwth, you have my sympathy regarding your experiences with your plumber. We had a new fitted kitchen installed three years ago. The fitter constantly disappeared for long periods onsome lame excuse. The oven/hob had been the first item he'd ripped out and was the last thing that he'd connected. We should have been able to cook by the Wednesday but, it Friday before we actually had a working oven. At one point his boss at the company came out to do some of the work. Even after we allegedly had s working kitchen, several faults had to be put right over the following weeks.

GP appointment about my wonky back before OH and I have a day out in Ironbridge.

Enjoy your days people.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Plumber having his hospital appointment today but has sworn by a stack of bibles to be here tomorrow. He fell seriously ill when a lavatory exploded on him and he had a number of infections including Hepatitis A. He was fit as a flea before that. After I last posted, I saw that he had been in yesterday and left a bag of tile cement and a stabilising pole in the shower room. The thing that is worst is having stuff distributed over the other rooms so you can't get back to normality until it's finished. I used the same firm for my kitchen, and they were in the place for a week, and I was living with Sir Blunderdog in his bungalow round the corner so I left them to it. The proprietor is lovely, Like Frank Muir without the hard edge. I'm fond of their whole family and went to them because they are local and have a reputation to uphold. Now they are trading on my good nature, but it will be lovely when it's finished. It's useable now, and I had a shower earlier.

Handyman is here and has an assortment of tasks, including preventing the bed head and foot rails from falling off whenever I go past to change the sheets. There's a bell to fit, and a solar movement light to fit outside the front door. 17 tunes to choose from, but I'm going for the South American flute which shouldn't be too loud but sounds lovely. The bell arrived without any wire, so he's gone off to get some. I had bought batteries, but never thought I'd need anything else. Lucky I bought a bell push.

It's nice and sunny today, but we have to wait until 24 August before St Swithin lets up.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Don't know what it is about tradesmen these days. If you're lucky enough to get one these days, they then let you down by not starting ipon time and/or days away from the job.

GPs visit went well. In terms of the painful back, he gave me a thorough examination and is certain that I tore a muscle in my back in the first fall and, reopened the tear second time round. There may also be a blood clot. He alleviated my fears of a cracked or broken hip.

As for the passing out, he is certain that the cause first time round, it was the initial shock and the pain (It was excruciating). He said that there is evidence that the body/brain retains a 'pain memory' and that, having reacted with a brief loss of consciousness first time, it uses the same approach if a similar painful event occurs shortly after.

Yes, I do have lower than normal blood pressure. Some of this is part of my physical make-up but, some is also due to medication that I take for an enlarged prostate. At least one of the tablets that I take was commonly prescribed as a 'beta-blocker' some years ago. As such, it further serves to reduce my BP. He has suggested that I obtain blood pressure machine. Not sure how that will help, to be truthful. I pointed out that I was aware of the dangers of high BP and, asked if the opposite condition had similar dangers. He said that there were none and that, he was happier with me having low BP than high.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Good Afternoon.
Bit tricky with Plunbers.. Yes I can understand his Exploding Lavatory (Did He really say thay?) causing soime delay - and a Day or two to to write Silly news stories in The Sun, or the Plumbers Monthly, but I can understand a small business being so overidden by Bigger Businesses, who will get Priority stock orders or deliveries. Hope He turns up soon...

I have managed to avoid Doc lately; today I dropped in my for Pills re-order, so there will be another argument of what my address is; Afraid Pooter breakdown, Printer Breakdown, e-mail berakdown (all succesively) and Latterly achy-back have all delayed sending "help" to my MP.. (Oh yes, that was another delay - MP's Holiday) - Permission to scream??Achy Back was bad today - exacerbated by having some heavy shopping to bring home - Hence Late here today - been taking PainKillers and a Lie-down - Walking did not help,.. nor did that Security blocke in Tesco offering me a Lectric chair.. (is that the things you have to plug-in?).

Blood pressure... I was once, some years ago) required to carry a device to record Blood pressure every 60 hours (daytime) or 120 minutes at night. I then had to write in manually What medicines I was taking (incll an extra shot from Dentists) When I ate, When I slept (working odd shifts in ... Bristol I think), They seemed quite happy with the results BUT, I recall when I was a Blood Doner, I was always told that my Blood pressure was low.. Not problematically "Low", but at the Low range of acceptable. Susequent Medic told me this was "good", and an even later Doc opined that BP not merely changed over the course of even a single day, but would vary every minute.. I'm sure one of them must be right - Law of Averages.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Brian, in the face of a little dismissive comment from the blood pressure supremo at the GP practice, I got myself a Braun BP machine. It is a Braun vitalscan3, but you use it on your forearm about 2 cm above the wrist. The other thing you also have to do is to raise it to the level of your heart. I record my BP 3 times in the morning and 3 in the evening and take an average each time. I do it for about 3 months over the year, and they are glad to get the printout. If it didn't work properly, they wouldn't be allowed to sell it.When I made that point, they shut up rather quickly. It cost about £18, cheaper than the Omron they use at the surgery, and I got it even cheaper because I returned a cosmetic pack I had received as a present that had microporous beads in it.

I've been struggling to print a document that has a cartoon in it. It's fine on the screen, but when I print it the caption disappears, and half the picture. It was an ODT file and I'm not sure whether to download the free Open Office program or update my version of Office (2007) Or both as I decided afterwards.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Apparently, low blood pressure causes concern when it is 90/60. Mine yesterday was 112/72 and, has been at or about this level for some years. My OH says that this is purely because I give other people high blood pressure. I couldn't possibly comment.

As for meters, I see that Amazon sell a number of devices at reasonable prices. They include the Omron one that my GP has on his desk and, used on me yesterday. He did say that anything over £30 was a rip-off.

Further reading has shown me that problems with low BP are more prevelant with advancing age. As such, some people experience light-headedness when getting up out of a chair. This happens to me occasionally, something that I raised with my GP. I had put this down to being over 6 feet tall and that, for many years I had struggled to get out of chair because of arthritic knees. With my metallic joints I tend to get up out of chairs rather quickly. The suggestion is that I wiggle my toes as a precursor to rising.

Meeting friends of my late sister today. We do so three or four times a year. They were not particular friends of ours but, they remain as a link with my sister, I suppose.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

It's good to keep the links going. I'm sure they miss her horribly and having you around eases is a bit.

My BP with suppressors was within limits yesterday, but I had to skip doing it this morning because I was off out to Orchestra rehearsal. Someone stole 10 minutes from me this morning.

The shower room is being completed even as I write, with the help of Radio 1 (it'll never replace music). I promised I would take my friend out, and although I parked over the road, I think she won't mind if I'm a bit later. I also have some wonderful soup to take to another neighbour so I may be able to fit it all in. I got back from the rehearsal and Cassie's walk with just enough time to get comfortable, when the white transit turned up on the drive. He was impressed with my new bell. The chime is the first bar of "Flight of the Condor". I spot most people arriving, but if I'm having a zizz I might not hear them.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Rwth, glad to read that your shower room is nearing completion.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

He's been again, and the traffic was horrible, so before he pops back to make a box to hide the pipes, I've sent him on a diversion. The main road is gridlocked because of the Annual Show at Dunster.

I went to take my friend out on a drive. We went up to Dunkery Hill, and looked down past the multiple colours of heather on to the Bristol Channel. She was stir crazy from living in a residential home, I'll take her some books to read. She had lost her memory because of infections, but has improved quite a bit in recent months. I think she likes to see Cassie as much as she does me, but she says she enjoys my company too.

The bathroom has been finished, including repairing leaks in the cistern and the hot water cylinder feed. So now I can relax a bit when I've refilled the bathroom cabinet with the stuff I actually want to keep. And paid the balance of course. Then I can have a zizz.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Good morning everyone.

Well, I had a wonderful day at the first day/night test match. Excellent day out with a group of mates. It was however sad to see the state that the West Indies cricket team are now in. I am old enough to remember the days of Clive Lloyd, Malcolm Marshall, Gary Sobers, et al when, the all-conquering West Indies were the best team in the World, by a long chalk.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I'm sure there will be new stars coming up. Or there will be an influx of Afghans to swell the team.

Parish mag almost off my hands. Last proofreader to still to check in. I popped back after Church to extract violin and music from the car and don my walking shoes. But I came in here to finish off my breakfast coffee and I'm still here! I received a basket/container with 4 figs in it from a neighbour. What a lovely thought. No asp, I checked.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi everyone.. Hope all is well.
My achy back seems to be easing of.. BUT, I'll have to book Big Gingery mog in for his annual exam. six and a half Kilo of complaining cat in a carriebox is not easy to carry - wonder if I can find a Cabbie who hasn't met him before?
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Has anyone encountered "High House" or "Production Park"?

Seems to be a long abandoned group of buildings that was (at some time) a single Farm Manor. The fact that they have an Open Day implies that someone is trying a restoration, but the "Production Park" Title seems to Involve Set-building for the Royal Opera.. Oddly they seem to be some Program dates - oddly, they show dates, but not years....

The directions show it as near the Purfleet Docks... Wonder if it smells of oil ... Esso, Margerine,
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

That is one cat and a half. Sure your name isn't Simon?

If they recondition the buildings, that might be a good thing, but if it's only scene building it could be a great Eastern version of Portmeirion which I hate because it's all front and no substance.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

High House, Purfleet;
Their pooter link aint up to much - Looks like a glorified collection of outdoor tea rooms.

Ginger George is a most Gentle cat, but He is very shy (I have doubts about his former servant), BUT... if you try to get him into his carriebox He will fight .. I still remember the Lacerations my Kid sister got when I was in Hospital and she took him to her house...