Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Re: Well, It's August!

Post by Brians Cravat »

Good morning all.
Just had a guy here fitting curtains in our lounge. OH's long held ambition has been to have hand-made curtains with, professional fitting as part of the deal. Not cheap but the quality is plain for all to see.

We're off shortly to the local coffee house for lunch. Following that, it's my Book Club this afternoon.

Enjoy your days all.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

I had to get up early because they were coming to take out my bath and put in a shower. I say 'they' but it was just one. After some hard work, he had to go off to get rid of the detritis of the bathroom and pick up the screen and other bits. I went out to pick up the music for our service on Suday week. Took Cassie for a walk on the hills, then popped to the Co-op for some food. I got back before the plumber so was able to park prettily, then I went and had a lie down on the bed and a doze. Eventually I woke up to find that he'd gone down under the floor to re-route the pipes and had to wait for him to turn the water back on before I could have a quick pitstop. He'll come back in the morning to do the full installation and then we won't know ourselves. Somewhere along the line, I received another delivery of wine, so that will be it until December.

When it's all done I may have curtains done and hung properly. In the meantime I am living in a kind of organised chaos.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Don't want to be a misery but, I've had a fall. In fact, it's my second in a month. I really need to talk about it. OH is also worried and, possibly too close to it to be objective.

Now, I am not too worried about the cause of either fall. Both came as the result of a trip and probably had more to do with me not looking where I put my feet than anything else. Nevertheless, they have left me with a couple of worries.

First of all after each fall, whether as a result of shock or pain or both, I have passed out. In fact, after the latest fall, I passed out twice in space a less than a minute. Never passed out previously. Confess that it was was scary each time. The first time I was at least sitting down but, for each one second time round, I was on my feet and then on the floor. Each time, I was unconscious for seconds ( Any questions about how anyone spotted that I was conscious again will be ignored!)

That brings me to my second concern. In the first fall, I sustained a back injury. For several days it was really very painful. I looked for blood in urine as a sign of kidney damage. There was none! Gradually over a couple of weeks the back eased. Then I go and pas out twice, collapsing to the floor in a heap and, this seems to have brought that pain back.

Now I don't normally 'do backs'. I did knees for for many years, until I had them replaced but, never backs. The pain seems worse this time and, I have booked an appointment with my GP. He'll refer for an x-ray, inevitably. Don't mention going to A & E,I'm a bloke and don't do that sort of thing. In fact after the second fall, OH called 111. I actually spoke to the bloke and told him that I'd go to A & E immediately but, I felt reasonable at that point. All I had at that stage was a cut over an eyebrow that resulted from my making contact with a door when I tripped (Cue The Clash playing 'I fought the door and, the door won'!) . Back became obvious over the next 24/48 hours.

OK, I've got that off my chest. Can we cut the sympathy. Also, we'll take the advice as read, if you don't mind. I wanted to tell some one.

I have a day of Education Appeals in Birmingham on Friday. As s punch, I'm off to read through the twenty or so cases.

Enjoy your evenings people,
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

OK, You've talked to Someone..
Seems to me that you are doing exactly the right things. Doc will do whatever is necessary, BUT.. How far away is the appointment date.. Can you get there tomorrow? If you have ample time in the morn, before appoint, just sit up slowly, and consider how mobile you feel before getting up.

No, I don't "do" backs either...Hip replacements, yup (£980 in 1987),

Used a disused Office that was full of "Knees" paperwork..

Did a bit on making Breast Cancer more affordable (reminds me, I still have some tools here)

But Backs ... No, Not mine.

I could tell you that My Doc told me to use a walking stick, but I wouldn't dare tell you any advice.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Oh dear, Brian. That is worrying. Maybe your blood pressure is a bit low. If it's any comfort, when I fell down the stairs in 1985, I was put to rest on the sofa by DD, but felt thirsty and while I was getting a drink of water, passed out on the kitchen floor. I don't know how long for, but because it was 4am, DD had gone back up to bed, and was back at my head saying "Don't move". In my case it was probably mild concussion, and I went to work as normal the same day. I had a day in bed at the weekend and was fine after that. I'm sorry to bore you with this, but it was a proper fall top to bottom, not like Laura Ashley's fatal one on a stone staircase the same day though. When you see the GP, do ask about the loss of consciousness. You may have passed out the second time because you got up too soon from the first one. Hitting the door wasn't the best thing to do. They often win, especially if you lead with your head.

GLO, I'm often filled with admiration at your busy life in the NHS. Having to make decisions that result in closures because as we all know, a bed is not just a bed, but a 24/7 support system as well including cleaners and caterers.

I was expecting the handyman this morning, but maybe he's decided to come this afternoon. He'll have company with the shower man finishing off the wall and floor tiling if so. Maybe we can agree on who will do what when it comes to the glory hole next door to the bathroom. I am hoping to make it into a laundry room, but the cloakroom suite will have to go.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

DON'T LAUGH.. But since I read Brians event, I has a backdache... Must find my Ol' Mum's walking stick (Thinks: I bought that in Boots the Chemist in Romford. Boots is now a shadow of its former self, Do they still stock Walking sticks?).
Im assuming that Brian may be getting medic attention, but I'm afraid I has to go out.. An occasional member of current ML's and a Main member in Former MLr's is getting himself Married. See yer Later (or tomorrow), but Best wishes to Brian.

PS, I just typed Headache instead of Backache ... obviously still some "stroke" problem fouling up my thinking-order...
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

All, thank you for your concern and advice.

Visit to GP: I'm booked in for next Tuesday. It was the first available appointment unless, I opted for an emergency appointment. Really don't consider this to be an 'emergency'. I've been out and about this morning and walked over two and a half miles. I don't have a limp, even though my right hip is painful. Tuesday will give me a chance to speak to my GP who I've had since before they became a big practice where you could see any doctor. This GP knows that, I know my own body. Also, he tells me the truth and, even when sending me to see a consultant will insist that they answer my questions truthfully.

My blood pressure is on the low side. This does cause problems sometimes when I get up too quickly from a chair. At 6' 2", it can take a second or two for my blood pressure to catch up but, I have never passed out before. As I said, my passing out was probably related to shock. I intend to raise the matter with the GP.

Honestly, I feel OK. Please don't concern yourselves.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Last day of Admission Appeals in Birmingham tomorrow (Hopefully!). There may be a few more in our home borough because, a number of parents have asked for Personal Hearings. They believe that Personal Hearings offer them a greater chance of success. This is untrue. As panel members, we are governed by the same principles and, the odds are no better than hearings earlier in the year.

Enjoy your evening people.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Has the world Gone mad???
This board wont save my Password, Faceache the same but chaged the Phone number I gave them to confirm Who I am .. and is now sulking., BBC wont save my password and doesn't remembe it when I mgets through to them (just wanted to catch up n something I'd missed), "The Village Pump in ProBoard not ony wont remember,my password or even find it, but are now having permanent Problems.

I tried tom get to Abel's wedding today (older members may remember him as Willy Wonty). Ticket office at Station closed. Card Machine not working, The Security bloke wouldn't let me through the turnstile and sint me over the bridge. That ticket office also closed (Which He must have known), but I could get some sense from the automaton card m/c (although it had trouble beleiving the destination).
I waas feeling very tired this morning and just was not Firing on all six associated with which I had a backache. (Have I "Caught something from Brian), I then Fell running down the Station steps: Somehow I didn't seem to evaluate the stairs steps. Still pondering on why. I was going to take a Walking Stick with me, but I'm not accustomed to a stick and feel a little self-concious, and in any case, I'd probably trip someone. - especially going to a social event with unknown crowds. I then stepped awkwardly on uneven Paving, and twisted my ankle when changing trains. .. Am I not focussing properly??? Am I not Concentrating. I could hardly walk when I got my back out of the train seat, and gave up getting to Abel and Mrs Abel. I'm off for some sleep, I'm having trouble reading this board. (thinks: must buy a new desk-chair to make my bacxk feel better... ).
Best Wishes to all
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

GLO, I hope the sleep has made you feel a lot better. Channelling my mum, why feel self conscious? Who'd look at you anyway? Really, at our age, we are almost invisible. Practising with the stick is easiest if you always take it with you. Swing it when you don't need it. Try holding it in either hand and see what gives you most relief. I started using mine after I had a fall, to act as a third foot in case I lost my balance. Then when arthritis arrived, I was already used to using it. It's a shame you missed Abel's wedding. I'm sure he will agree that it would have been a pity for you to be there if you didn't feel well. Unknown crowds don't know you haven't been using a stick for years, so will draw their own conclusions, and probably won't even think about it.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Is anyone having trouble with Yahoo, or is it just picking on me... Unusable for several days... and I have to write snotty letters to Council and MP.

Feeling incredibly tired. despite a couple of "Lie-Downs"

Tried to liven myself up last night. It was dark when I came in last night. The three witches (only visible by tyheir lighted cigarettes) calling greetings to me.. Who gave them my Forename.? - probaly their nosy kids.I have these idiot neighbours who have put their furnuiture into the courtyad, leave their kids to their own devices, and sit out smoking (currently in Dressing gowns). Their furniture was wettened in Tues Storm , and I hate to think how smelly it is after each wet/dry cycle. Early one Morning a saw a Fox taking proprietage of their Sofa.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

You need to look for somewhere to live. You could move if you look for something suitable. Ask the council to help. I'm sure there's somewhere better than you have at the moment where you'd have a bit more help on a day to day basis.

I mentioned elsewhere a few web based email providers where you could pick up messages from Yahoo, or your current provider as well. Live or Gmail, or maybe Thunderbird. I expect the Black Bull would be happy to advise if you ask, or maybe there's someone at the Library who would be willing to help.

My shower room is still not finished and I expect the plumber has his children this weekend so nothing doing until Monday. I can use the shower, but the tiling needs finishing off and the glass panel will need a little more support. I shall be patient, but I'll hold off using it until Sunday. It should be safe then.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Thanks Rwth. I did see your message re alternative messages. Yahoo went well this a.m., (I was looking for a missive re a place I was looking for this morning), but now Yahoo has "Gone again"

Yahoo Logo
Will be right back...

Thank you for your patience.

Our engineers are working quickly to resolve the issue.

Bit snookered for today.
Never heard of a Council being "Helpful" (Yup, I've worked for some of them) and this particular council being VERY unhelpful.. Hence I am in dispute re my address - Changed my housenumber so now there is noway you could get here my road - You have to walk through the rest of the estate, but without numbering, there's no way to get here.. Oh yes.. I am getting a bit snotty.. Must sort backache to get in a more ameniable mood.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

You are really going through it GLO. I sent you an email, which you may be able to retrieve if you reload the email tab. Yahoo sent me a message too, but I reloaded and it went away.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi Rwth .. Feelin' tired and had a "Lay down" - not meaning to sleep of course, just to hope that my back would feel better, and when I opened my eyes it was 15 minutes ago.
Yes, I did get your missive (much thanks) but pooter at present has so many problems I'm not loading anything more till I sort some stuff out - for example, I cant open this (and other) conacts without having to load my mame and password - then going through an exchange of correspomdence which needs use of feedback - and one such correspondence is with my Yahoo e-mai which doesn't work OR wasn't work.. Or via my phone from Yahoo.. and in yahoo's non-working, I dont get the Phone respoine until a day after I request it, and a few hours too late to use it..

And now connections "Not Responding.. See if you ever get this???
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

4:00, I went looking for Meteors.. So many bright Lights around here that I couldn't even find the moon. (Meteors said to be to the Left of the Moon) Thought it might do my achy back some good if I walked. Light polution all the way upLangodon Hills.. Then I saw a splurge through the trees indicating Cloud - Gave up and came home...
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Well done for trying. I was too tired and went back to bed. The Rector had posted that he had seen some meteors on his walk, but he's nobbut a lad.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I've been searching for a missing email that was showing as unread, but tracked it down this morning, and it wasn't important like the Garden club item for the parish magazine. These email add ons that drive you mad! This one was in "Smart views", Windows live has chosen to have two inbox versions called focused and ordinary so you have to look in both. Really irritating and there doesn't seem to be a way of switching one of them off to have them all in the same view.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Morning all. I went to bed full of good intentions. Really meant to get up at some point and check out the meteor shower but, slept like the proverbial log. In fact, I've slept really well recently. Perhaps this is a sign that the painful back in giving less hip than it has been. It's strange. I encounter very little pain when walking, virtually none and, I'm not limping. It's mainly when I try to get up out of a chair or bend that I get a twinge. Still we'll wIt and see what the GP says on Wednesday. I don't believe that he'll say much until, he's sent me for an X-ray. That in itself is a bit of a bind these days. Until a couple of years ago, the X-Ray Dept offered a drop in service. I used to go at lunchtime and was often seen right away. Now, it's an appointment system which is a bloody nuisance.

Enjoy Sunday all.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Just in case anybody feels like a Meteor Walk.. I'll just mention that there is less Cloud about tonight...