Another Good Morning to All

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Re: Another Good Morning to All

Post by goodlookingone »

No... I put my head through the door to see how their glorified A to Z to find landing (in London) . but too cramped for my taste... No possibility of actually going aloft - Once you has the patient aboard theres no room for passengers. Remember that the HEMS Rich man subscribing, was different to the other Rich man had His name on the newer Coptor. Cant remember which was which, but one of these rich bods fell off his yacht.

I know they got a bigger coptor later .. (and can now overfly over london after dark), but I was playing at other things by then...

But I did get a trip in a Hot air balloon by the Mayor (or lLord Mayor) of a well known Unuversity city to the west. - Britain in Bloom I recall.
SpringDragon
Getting the hang of it
Getting the hang of it

Post by SpringDragon »

Happy Very Early Sunday to those who are about.... Probably just me.... But sun has risen...

Copters are wonderful things.... I hate flying in normal aircraft but love copters....Even though they are considered to be less safe than fixed wing.....

Used to be an exciting service to the Scilly Isles.... Much safer than the little planes landing sideways at St. Mary's... And the helicopter would still be flying in the direst of dire weather.... Even when the Scillonian had run the white flag up the mast....

And we once made a return crossing from Tallin to Helsinki by copter after an outward journey across the Gulf of Finland when we were sure we were about to meet our maker/s somewhere deep and dark and freezing and very wet....

Off to do some ironing.... Sleep has eluded me, for another night so might as well do something vaguely useful...

Play nicely
Will the Pedlar
Getting the hang of it
Getting the hang of it

Post by Will the Pedlar »

Good Morning all,

That balloon trip sounds fun, GLO. I regularly get hot-air balloons around here. we actually have a balloon flying school about 15-20 miles from here. I've been in copters a few times. That's great too. But very noisy - the smaller ones... Jet Rangers and similar. You cannot talk to anybody else unless you have a head-set on.

I know they're considered to be less safe than light aircraft, but I agree with you, Dragon. I'd far sooner be in a copter. Never been out of sight of land though. The odd spin over the upper Bristol Channel and River Severn, that's just a couple of miles or so. Not sure I'd fancy crossing the Gulf of Finland. :)
Had I had spare cash when I was younger, I think I might have spent it, learning to fly.

Enjoy your ironing... Image
Will the Pedlar
Getting the hang of it
Getting the hang of it

It's even chillier here now. That could be because I've just been washing down the paths and drive around the house and my hands are cold from the cold water...

Now that they're all nice and clean. It'll probably pour down later.
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

I remember the Scilly helicopter service ... 3Wells and I used it when we were on a motoring holiday through Devon and Cornwall, back in 1995 or 1996. We visited Tresco, but couldn't take the chopper directly there, it wasn't a daily service, so we choppered to St. Mary's and took the inter-island ferry on to Tresco. Very fond memories ... both of Tresco, and of the chopper trip!
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi!
That Balloon flight was a "duty flight". so I got drawn into the Mayors Party, to veiw the City "In Bloom". But some years before that, I got a balloon trip for a Lady-friend's birthday. Drove up to a Castle near errr ... err near Leamington I think. One has to help in the prep. and jump aboard before the balloon is inflated - or it will go slo without people.. Things I remember were :
1) Much more concious of hills - soon after take off the land fell below us - not so much our ascent, as the world's descended below us.
2) As you Pass over a forest the incredible variety of Green's as one branch appears to pass over another.
3) Wildlife doesnt associate balloon with people. I remember a rabbit very bravely ignored us as it hopped down an earth path - but as soon as he stopped moving, he immediately lost to sight in his natural coloured camoflaged. I also saw a field of corn obviously being disturbed by a creature running through it, but never actually seen.
4) Suddenly seeing into the back gardens of a village, not normally seen - lots of swimming pools?
5) How easily sound carries. A Farmer(?) bid us "Good morning" without raising his voice when we overflew him
6) Aren't cows inquisitive.. They galloped along beside us as we came down in an adjacent field.

The Landing caused it to come to a stop with one edge of the basket - so we tumbled down to one end. - another hop brought us to a soft comfortable upright position - but not to get out or the balloon would take off again... then after some gas had gone . some of us had to get out to tramble the envelope flat before next bods could exit.. The cows remained interested.. and again galloped alongside as we were garried away - again in the basket but this time on a Landrover Trailer (with our breakfast Champagne).

Reminiscing isn't good for me: I'd better get on...
Threewellsofmyown
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Threewellsofmyown »

Bear

I need you to silence bloomin cuckoos here

4 of em cucck and ooing out of time with one another in our wilderness just now

I want some peace

And bears need to eat ....
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Just Got Noisy Cooing Pigeons Here... and dirty great Black and White birds raiding the "Take-away" shops down at the Station, and Armies of Foxes lacerating the rubbish bags...

I'm orf for the Knight... If you see me here tomorrow, chase me away to get more done than I did today...
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Good afternoon all.

Good weekend her. An Organ Recital at the Church of St John the Baptist in the grounds of Hagley Hall was most enjoyable. The soloist was Thomas Trotter, City of Birmingham's Organist. It was wonderful to hear a church organ playing something other than accompanying hymns at services. Yes, there were religious pieces such as, Elgar's 'Vespers Voluntaries but, there were lighter pieces too.

As usual a week full of the normal busyness that, seems to make up my life these days.

I hope that you are all well or, responding well to treatment.
Will the Pedlar
Getting the hang of it
Getting the hang of it

Cuckoos are too small, Twellers.

If you can find me another 32 to go with those four, They'll make a nice snack.
Failing that... I wouldn't mind trying a few of those penguin things. Never tried those... Never seen them 'cept in photos. We are poles apart.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Penguins are OK, but can bears get the silver wrapping off?

Goodnight each.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

After the sad news from Manchester earlier today, I wasn't going to post. However, that is precisely what these terrorists want, to drive from our normal routine, prevent us taking part in activities that we enjoy and, make us hide away.

I noted comments here in the last few days about Hot-air Balloon trips. My OH bought me such a trip for my 50th birthday. We took off from Quarry Park in Shrewsbury. I thought the whole trip was wonderful. The landing was a touch hairy however. In my opinion, we had a close call passing over an electricity pylon. However, our 'pilot' appeared unconcerned and explained that we should adopt 'the landing position'. This involved us grasping some handles running round the inside of the basket and bend our knees.

Our first landing cam with a bit of a bump and, the basket fell on its side, before being dragged around thirty metres through a field of grain stubble. We then took off again. Our second landing involved a slightly reduced bump but, still saw us being dragged through the field. The final landing saw us hop over a hedge before floating relatively gracefully down, still falling over but, without the further forward motion dragging us along.

I would do it again tomorrow.

Having a significant birthday involving a zero and, I'm hinting at a flight in a glider. We'll see what happens.

Off out for dinner with friends.

Enjoy your evenings my friends.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Not wishing to out-fly you... I had a flight in a Glider.... Back in those Pre EU days when britain used to make our own (and European) powerstations, I was in a big Development and Construction Office in Gloucs. One manager invited me to his Gliding Club "now that I'd seen all the Sights in Gloucs"... First attempt had some kids playing Kites, so I sat in the aircraft whilst a runner was sent to chase them away... Second attempt was curtailed after The Red Arrows (from their base, three miles away) flew over at minimum height, and I had to wait 10 minutes for their turbulance to settle... third attempt all well... chase down the rumway, got about 3ft off the ground .... and the tow cable fell off... got towed back, someone brought the cable back.. and although somewhat less confident than the start... did eventually get airbourne..
By some Co-incidence, I recall that my accomodation was in their other Office in Nearby Cheltenham. My Dinner was in a pub in that town. One of the other Diners was an Actor known for His James Bond Role. (and throwing Bread Rolls at the Waitress??) I hear on the News that He died today.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Good afternoon everyone. I hope that dear Wellsy is on the mend. Likewise thoughts with all those who are unwell or, concerned about loved ones.

Been out for a three and a half mile walk, very warm but, pleasant.

GLO, I don't feel outflows at all. Just never had a glider flight but have plenty of facilities all within reasonable distance. There's Stratford Upon Avon, the Long Mynd and, RAF Cosford. The latter one is of interest for two two reasons. It's closer and, they offer a series of three lessons quite cheaply. That really appeals. I've got until November to spread the word.

Off this evening to see a live broadcast of 'Anthony and Cleopatra' from the RSC Stratford. It's being shown at a local Town Hall that has suitable facilities. I know that some young British actress expressed the view a few months back that people would be much better off going to see the actual production but, we've seen production broadcast from the National Theatre. The cost of travel has to be taken into account and whilst we do see a lot of live theatre 'in situ', even visiting Stratford, the broadcasts give us the opportunity to see so much more at an economic price.

Enjoy your days everyone.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

I got a terrible fear.. when I saw the difference in gliding prices between economic Goucester, and Local Epping Forest....
Ailments/worries on all the Boards..

I'd better go and raid The CAB.. Should have soluble problems, but (After Strokes) I have trouble getting words in order - written or verebal - sometimes go wrong...
Will the Pedlar
Getting the hang of it
Getting the hang of it

Two lovely days in a row. Are we being spoiled? It'll never last. :cry:

I spent half of yesterday, painting and preparing some new vinyl roofing sheets, for a lean-to, by the Garage. Which I keep logs and other timber under, for burning during the winter.
I hadn't intended to work on it today too, but I must have been inspired (or do I mean perspired?) and the whole thing is now back in place and looking better.

Now I don't have anything much to do between tomorrow and next Tuesday..

Lovely!!!
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi Wills... There seems to be loadsa trouble getting contact with anybuddy today. I think the world is slowing down to a stop...

Oh hignore me, I'm feeling moribund...
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Evening all. Must admit that I'm not feeling to bad in this weather. Not least of all, it's acting as acclimatisation for our holiday in Central Southern France beginning week. The advanced forecast for the next ten days predicts similar temperatures or warmer.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

I've only done commercial flights, though I've often been tempted to try a balloon flight. One Bank Holiday weekend there are lots starting in the Welsh Mountains and going over to the Cotswolds. I'm no longer on the flight path, having moved down South to the Bristol Channel.

If they want people to go and see live theatre, they should put it on in the Regions. Yes, I know they do, but I've fallen out of the habit of going.

A distant relative had a birthday the other day and since I only know her because we have been working on the same family tree, I asked for info about her ancestry as it joins with mine. My Gt Grandfather and hers were brothers, so I've been a bit side-tracked.

Lovely day today. My dear Brother is 71 today and I didn't get him a card earlier in the week. So I'll have to stir my stumps in a minute and go in Search.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Bristol Chanell?? There were two makers of Balloon Envelopes in Bristol (One was Thunder, but I can't remember the other..) That was some years ago, but the two makers were Merging. I seem to remember a lot of Hot air over bristol for some particular event - I don't know if theirs an annual event. ... When's the Next Bank Hol?