Miscellany: Week Beginning ... October 10

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Miscellany: Week Beginning ... October 10

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

Yes ... been absent for a while with all sorts of things, 3Wells having taken rather ill. But she's recovering now and things are slowly getting back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Yes, I read about that. Is she still douing her cookery lessons during her illness: I hope she is taking a break.
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

She's taking a break - the cooking group are currently "homeless"! Something being worked on ...
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

A Homeless Kitchen... I was in the town centre recently and accosted in Bus Station by two teenage girls - shiverring. No idea how they became homeless (wonder if it was a "Guaranteed job" that came to nought). They wanted a few bob to get food... Now I was ponderring.. How can it be that in a civilised (?????) country, these two had no work or subsidies and wwere living in the top deck (Open roof) of supermarket carpark on the coldest night of the year?
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

One wonders ... there are supposed to be "safety nets" but how often do they fail? Of course, the safety-nets are always ready if you're a bank, mega-corp, or otherwise "important" ...
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

If it had been earlier in the day, I would have pointed them to The Housing outfit now moved into the Library where several possible helps (Council, CAB, "Family Mozaic", Whatever Church is there that day - ommitting sundry "aged" outfits).
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

That is terrible. I saw a group of about 5 people bedding down in the main Taunton car park, but they were on the bottom rung in a sheltered spot, so it wasn't quite as bad. Not good either. Not sure how many because I didn't want to stare too obviously at their 'bedroom'. When the city ground to a halt some years ago, Birmingham opened the banqueting suite to stranded commuters overnight. There should be somewhere where people can stay out of the cold. Not to make us feel better but to give them a better chance. They could receive post there, and would have a better chance of jobs and homes when they could use each other as referees for accommodation etc.

I hate it with all these people being thrown out of their homes, often with children. It really isn't fair.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Yes Rwth... The last time I had to visit the Interviewers at the Council Offices (They were overcharging me re Council Tax). I was sent to the Waiting room. In that same waiting room were a Young couple with a Baby. - hoping for accom. In that same waiting room was a A Council Foreman - He wanted a meeting with the councils "keeper of the chequebook" The Foremans Boss was hastened to hospital, and foreman out of his depth as "Officer in Charge"(standing in for his boss re needing extra staff , but hadn't said that).
Whilst Foreman was "in Conference", the interviewers came out with a lot of sensible help - separting the him and her, respectivly sending Her to the appoint she had just made to visit a Doctor's Nurse re Baby, and sent Him to "Digs" to claim the room, add his signature to docket to the Landlady's presence, and to go to the appoint that She had just made for him at next days jobcentre - and Sign there if a second nights accom was required. She gave them both Bus Passes and Maps showing Nurse/Digs/and Job Centre.. I remember telling this when J Grundy was dis-homed in Ambridge, and I was trying to find out if this was the usual procedure, or was Joe's treatment more usual. Never found out.
But back to that Waiting Room - Foreman came out ... "Do what she tells you but If Job centre have nothing, phone me on this number" after you've seen them, phone me before Midday to start tomorrow. OK - That was obviously unusual, and I don't know their story - Don't know why home and job finished on the same day, Perhaps they had no Parents - Perhap ... perhaps.. But What does one do? Would any of us know what to do?
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

This is how it's supposed to work. As the Government loses interest in supporting people, the Community which is always there, but often not in the right place at the right time will have to be more organised and show more that they care. By doing things to help when they can.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

This came up in conversation at South Essex NHS. When my mate Henry Retired, He had worked (And paid into Health Service) since 14. After being Discharged from Army service He was working until Made Redundant, and sought more work - as indeed did I. He fell out of favour (as did I) and was encouraged into Early Retirement at Age 63. He became ill and died within a few years. However... People now dont leave School till 16, and are encouraged to go to University, so wont pay their way until mid-twenties, and stop paying into NHS at 66 or therabouts.. Ten years less input, but.. with a long-life ahead in those the years when the most need of medics/helpers/carers.. longer than ever before.. Yes I know its stating the obvious but first Time I've heard it condoned by an NHS Official.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Gone quiet here again - Hope all are having a good Chrisst and New year week.
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

A belated Happy Christmas to all! I guess quiet is good :-). Here's hoping for a peaceful and productive New Year.