Dry and dusty August

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Re: Dry and dusty August

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

If the exercise would do you good, maybe. There is an abundance of people to help you do things you can do yourself. Everything else moves with agonising slowness until it hits the one blockage you hit yourself 18 months ago, and they have no more power to dig you out of the mud than you have yourself. Old age isn't for wimps. I do find after one of those brick walls I have the energy to try again from another angle and sort it myself.

I went to the dump today and got rid of a few cardboard boxes and plastic packing. There are attendants waiting to take it off you if you are struggling. One of the paths I sometimes take was blocked by a fallen tree, so I had to turn back. Cassie had a decent scamper though. The co-op had lots of fruit that the supermarkets sell out of early, so it was just a quick shop and back home to have a gentle afternoon.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

At one time I had on the footer of my Stationery: Old Age is Not for the Squeamish.
Listening to the Radio this evening: What we Know as Retirement is said to becoming a day of the Past. If one does the sums (as their tame Mathematics Lecturer did), it won't provide a living income. It should in future just be a steady reduction of working hours (or days) over the years. That has long been a Hobby horse of mine, but the suggestion applies to people currently in their 60's, with only a few in their 70's currently doing it now. HMMMMNNNNNnnnnn. I'm afraid the problem is that people don't all fit the same mould. Will a builder who has been working in all weather still be fit enough to work into his seventies with all the lifting/carrying/bruised/with a backlog of minor/greater injuries be working into his 70's (or 80's as they implied). I wonder what ex-coalminers or dustmen can do. getting political.
I have abandoned Local Co-oP. It has never been a moderately priced shop, nor is the quality that good (Yes, they have been clients of Mine, but not locally and not Supermarkets). The nearest shopping centre (an unusual design) is not really suitable anfter 40 years. It is to be demolished, The Co-oP is the current occupant of successive supermarkets, The freezers have been breaking dowm ingreasingly for years, and tnhhe whole bank of freezers is now empty. Fruit? Yup Grapes are good and good value, But it is not wiorth a detour to get off the bus partway to Town Centre, but if one walks its worth walking another 200yds to One of the German/Dutch Supermarkets and get all the better quality at 2/3 the price - but a bit - how can I say - "spartan"
Goodnight.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Not for the squeamish is so true. I won't go into detail.

No the continentals aren't cosy are they. I only go in for olives and continental chocolate which is far less tempting when it's kept in the fridge. The old teeth can't cope with rock hard chocolate, so just thawing out small quantities is quite satisfying. It may be hard to credit, but outside Essex things are much better.

Brian's daughter has had the baby but isn't very well yet. Thinking of her and the baby.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Not Keeping up!
Chocolates and Sweetmeats? The World has not been the same since Southends Ice Cream-maker has retired, and his Disperate offspring all make ice cream to their various lesser recipes, and the Fire that destroyed Southends Grosvenor Rock Factory (which made many seaside towns Rocks), The world has gone all wrong. A one-time Colleague Lived in a cul-de-sac that led to The Thornton Chocolate Factory. The constant odour disinclined him from eating the stuff (fortunately it never affected me).
OK, I'll be honest - I did a few weeks work making changes in one of The Bristol Royal Mail offices - The Fry's Chocolate Factory was suitably scented, but was overcome by the nearby Tobacco Factory, and the Hide treatment/diers....

I hope The Baby is improving.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Yes, after a sepsis scare Brian's daughter is much improved and her baby has also been discharged from hospital. Visiting has been confined to grandparents only for a few more days.

The smell at the Cadbury's factory in Bournville was very attractive, but although there were alleged to be 1001 trades in Brum, there wasn't a tannery. Quite the stinkiest, though the sulphur from the Silver processors was unpleasant. That was in the Jewellery Quarter, 5 miles away.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

While I was out yesterday, or just not in the bedroom supervising, a big tractor came and reaped the meadow at the back, leaving the straw in a tangled heap on the ground. Yesterday the ears looked filled with promise, but it looks as though the promise has been kept. September is here but I don't like to preempt the start of a new thread.

I'm off to Brunch at the Village Hall now.