Dry and dusty August

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Dry and dusty August

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

I've had my toenails cut and feel more comfortable now. My appointments include a 94 mile round trip to Yeovil for the lead in to my hip operation, and a change of Hairdresser. I hate to do this to someone, but the stylist left and I didn't like it when the owner was doing it.

It's lovely here, sunny intervals and not too hot.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Re: Dry and dusty August

Post by goodlookingone »

OK, So I got the July washing up out of the way, So I'm in August now.
Whats on in August? Airshow (now at Clacton, not Southend), Cool enough to take some walks (Epping, Lee Towpath perhaps). No County show anymore, No car Restoration Show till Nov. Perhaps I'll Hibernate for awhile.
Hip Operation: (Wonder if You'll meet Cookiepus there?). Afraid Most of My work was for N.E. Thames Regional Health Auth, but I remember the "New Standard" was set (Middlesex Hosp) _ If it Helps, the 1988 Costing was £980 per person. - B... Good Value I thought - but I'd seen the previous method. Always Good reports. Have you got an appointment Date?
Clatter and Vibration of a Helicoptor flying Low. Police reckon they have a "Silence" 'coptor" for 2019.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

My appointment in Taunton was a few weeks ago and I'm being moved to the shorter waiting list in Yeovil with a surgeon and preop/Anaesthetist appointment on 21 August. I expect it will be the end of September early Octogre. Cookiepuss will be going to a poshpital in Oxford around the same time - perhaps before if she's paying. We'll go dancing at Christmas.

My July washing up is waiting to be unloaded today.

I'm waiting for another load of topsoil to be delivered this arvo, and the gardener will come tomorrow to move it where it needs to go.

We get troop helicopters from Norton Camp as well. Blunders could tell the difference, but I'm not always sure unless I actually see it.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Don't recognize Helicopters. I know the Police ones have a searchlight, but if its not alight, I am lost. Since that Prince bloke ceased flying here, Hospital seem to use a new one painted like a Bullseye. Much bigger than the one they managed to land atop A Big Hospital in Whitechapel. There is less airspace in Whitechapel now. The replacement Buildings are two adjacent Tower Blocks much higher than the landing on the Old Building.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I expect there's a helipad on top of one of them, or maybe the rush of ambulances from the airport has been speeded up. At a lecture on the Military section of the Selly Oak hospital, the speaker claimed a trip of 9 minutes to the hospital.

I have just updated my registration to vote www.householdresponse.com. I completed their survey and said that requiring voters to provide ID would disenfranchise someone who after a stroke cannot find his driving licence. I was able to do this online, but was scathing about voting online if the Government said it was safe and secure, though the word of IT experts would be acceptable.

It's a nice day here, but no rain due before the weekend.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

When the Helipad was set up (1988), the whole shebang - deck, firemen and their security gang, and new theatres and fancy new equipment, very bossy theatre superintendents, own test people, and surgeons was put up there as a complete team, with Air traffic controller instructing just about every airport within 25 miles. I don't see any Landing Facility on the tower blocks - The worry on the "old" (250 years old?) was a fire and spillage of liquid fuel down the building (I wonder if that's why The Old Hospital is now cleared). The Meetings I went to was in The Clock Room - in Days of yore, Only the Unwell could Live in the Hospital, so the clock room was built as an extension outside of the Wall, Latterly over over the Underground Line, and was thus "Outside the Hospital" for a man being trialled for his ailments (Merrick, The "Elephant Man").
DON'T Laugh: The Retired Naval Helicopter Officer retained His Naval Rank. Captain K... Well this gave him the Name of a Science Fiction TV/Film Character. My (new) Doc studied there, and tells me that it Still had The Best Service in the Country.

I didn't know of any special needs after stroke to re-apply for election. Mine is only buggered up by my address being changed. As a Presiding Officer (in another constituency) I get a postal vote, so I've never been to my polling station. I'll have to look into this.

Back to The Royal London Hospital. Because only the Unwell could live in there, The Nurses Homes are Geographically Out of the Hospital Part of the Hospital Estate, but a Favoured Senior Nurse lived away from the hoi polloi and outside of the building and had a pretty bungalow on the roof... Cavell's Cottage was accessed by the Lifts Maintenance staircase through an unmarked door hidden in the woodwork on the top floor. I had to go up there but for obvious reasons, the Firemen's Security Kept one well away from The Airport Control.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I meant that the question dealt with whether I thought people should show ID in order to vote. If you don't get the letter about confirming your registration to vote, there are other avenues to try. I gather that you can still be asked to do Jury service up to age 76. My brother was called some time ago, and thinking it would be a nice change from farm work he made arrangements for the stock feeding for several weeks. My mother was surprised when R came back about lunchtime on the first day. "I thought you were on Jury service". He was so disappointed he could barely tell her "The b----r pleaded guilty!"

We had a policeman call me out of evensong on Sunday because some obsessive called them to report that my dog was panting in the back of the car. It really wasn't hot in there, and I'd left windows and roof open. There was plenty of water. I have permission to take her in with me. She'll enjoy the music.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Didn't need an ID when I was presiding Occifer.
Nope, Never done Jury Service, although the Local Fuzz did come into my (then) office and invited some of us of suitable age to be the innocents in an identity parade. To all look similar, we had to wear The same style of overalls. (wonder if they drew them from the Forensic Team). One of my co-innocents knew both the Prisoner and the plaintiff doing the identity. The Plaintiff didn't recognise my colleague (who lived next door to the Plaintiff) nor the prisoner.........
Someone else in my Office was also a witness for another burglary by the same prisoner. His report of the proceedings was like a comedy. It seems that that when The Judge gave sentences for each charge, he ended with the words "The sentences to run consecutively". Much muttering and a court official whispering corrections in His Lordships ear. "No I don''t. I mean [b]consecutively[/b]".
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Or even concurrently? I think it's hard to recognise someone you know quite well, but out of context. I was chatting with a local acquaintance and a man who looked vaguely familiar. He turned out to be the milkman, and something similar happened on another occasion with the lady in the post office. Fellow bus passengers are easier to recognise because they are already out of context.

I had the Heating engineer call to service my heat pump, and my gardener also arrived to shift the rest of the topsoil so they got together to rearrange the slight backward tilt resulting from the landscaping work. Now at last it's level.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Me again.
Yes, as seeing {People out of Context) - Had this very discussion a few weeks ago with the Councillor (now ex-Councillor) who kept having people acknowledge him whilst we were in discussions. I also had a Chinese (well Far Eastern) man who accosted me, and lined up his wife and children (in height order) who all bowed at me - ... How deeply should I bow in response. Then I realised: He worked in one of the few nearby clients I worked in: Tractor Assembly Shop (Not a Manufactory since it was Given away to the EU, Only Assembly now).
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

The rain has arrived. The new soil looks as if it belongs now, and the plants are beginning to recover. I'm a bit ruthless about the garden, only watering new planting and things in pots. Once established most survives. Fortunately my gardener is more merciful. Even the trees have been suffering, with brown branches hanging here and there. A picturesque contrast, but a bit sad.

I'm a bit sombre myself - lots to do and not much energy. No food in the house, and my diet days don't start again until Monday. I don't fancy peppered Ryvita for breakfast.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Rain Yesterday - long but not heavy. (Thinks: I believe the Pakamac was invented in the 1950's when I was on a Summer Holiday in Essex?).
Afraid my garden was demolished a year or two ago when Looney Neighbour Wanted a Windmill to produce lecktrickery, and wanted to be in the Windstream above Roof Level. but several feet from the house. To do this He hacked down the tree branches and chucked them into my garden. I was ill in hospital firstly when He did it, and secondly when I got the County Justice team to get some errant teenagers to clear the Garden, so it remains. Also lost my determination in getting the Local Council to remove his windmill. which causes flashing of sunlight through his windmill blades. He also broke a window. The Annoying thing is that He had previously whinged when I wanted the tree removed as it was too near my (and his) house.

Not Happy today: several minor annoying whinges today.. Women on Busses commandeering a second seat to carry their shopping: A bloke so determined to smoke that if the bus stopped to change drivers, or negotiate some obscure ticket that took time etc., He Jumped out the door to light a fag, but only just out of the doorway so the smoke blew in, and was still exhaling the stuff when He was back aboard, and a Minor collision - an oncoming vehicle found (during road digging-up the road, thus narrowing it) He thought a big enough gap to turn right in front of bus - His RangeRover made the turn but too fast to avoid swerving out to drive over the garden of the corner house, but his trailer did contact the bus before landing on it's side.

I have a list of 28 missives That I neglected to pursue - not really up to such a big load on my tiny mind. Wonder if The NHS would provide me a Secretary? After Ny illness a couple of years ago every Doc/Hospital/Nurse, sent me "carers". Each one found other contacts - (most useless) so I have just too much to manage. One geezer offered a Secretary a few days/week. No ideas what it would cost, but I did not want the extra load of having an "Employee" - and an extra bod to hexplain things to.

No Ignore me - I'm just whinging. ..
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

You could classify your missives or see if any answer each other. Then work through them one at a time. Do 4 a day in order of urgency, and they will be sorted out by next week. Pity the schools have broken up, but there may be some teenagers with Duke of Edinburgh Silver awards who would do it on an intern basis. Or The Apprentice. I'm sure you would be nicer than Alan Sugar, and they'd learn a lot from you.

More rain. I got a bit wet bringing in the shopping. 3 shopping bags, a handbag and a bunch of roses. Tescos lent me a member of staff to carry the stuff out to the car, but I had to bring it all in myself on crutches. I carry it up to the door step, climb over it, then have to move it all so that I can close the door.

We are both fed and watered, so I just have to arrange the flowers and put the shopping away, then I can go to bed.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Had little or No rain today - Not that I've been out.

I'd better go - Needs a change of clothes and to Feed my washing M/c. Slight Gravy Mis-hap in the Kitchen - cat keeps sniffing at my shirt and looking hungry.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Either because of the gravy or you.

Last 5 Tonnes of topsoil today. No rain forecast before Thursday so gardener can move it where it needs to go. Then I can plant my ferns, Lilies of the Valley and wood anemones in the last (shady) bed.

Chasing payment for Parish magazine advertising. We had already covered our costs without counting recipients' contributions, so I was a bit dilatory, but I have some promises and a cheque. I am hoping to get the Magazine off to the printer before my pre-op visit to Yeovil, when the date of the op may be vouchsafed to me.

I hope you are making progress with your proper address/Meds etc. Do you have a parking permit to lend to your secretary?
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Cats love gravy.
I was just pondering if I ever wanted tons of topsoil. It might be possible to get a vehicle in here, (not certain how). Not possible to get into individual courtyards (Bollards from the Fire Engine route). But that only gets to the front door - no direct access through the garden wall. ... and I would have to buy a permit for secretary, but I doubt if there will be a space. (lack of parking - and getting a fine - has lost one of my "carers". stopped coming).

Decided on a bit of "Finding all the Paperwork", before moving on.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Trying to finish editing the parish magazine for tomorrow.

My new 2 drawer filing cabinet has arrived. Getting past the unfiled paperwork could be a problem, but maybe I can use the stupendous outer cardboard box pro tem. My study/dressing room will need readjusting , and getting to the front door to receive the suspension files would have been a problem if the courier lady wasn't willing to pass the parcel over the blockage in the hall. It all happened while I was writing this. Maybe I will be better organised after the reorganisation.

Violin practice too for tomorrow's rehearsal. No chance to be bored and lonely here.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi.
Not in a good mood. Spent an hour this Morning in the CAB, Got back after lunch for another hour and a half, then spent another Hour or Two firstly visiting the Post Office to get a Form I was directed to, and to the Royal Mail Office where I was Directed, who also denied it. and then on the Phone to Sundry DHS phone dept, getting passed to half a dozen different offices being directed to another, ending up with the last one Hanging up - reminds me, I must recharge my phone. I finished too late to Get Prescriptions (New Doc is a Cab ride away).
I mentioned my adventures in another thread - I shouldn't have done! It was a merely Polite conversation to explain being Late on the Board. and This bloke has been going on about something He knows nothing about. A short reply only sparks more detailed explanation. (Hint: Never mention anything to anybody who knows my business better than me because has a Brother who works in some gov office).
I'm calming down a bit now: Much of my Paperwork was/is in Box Files, or for some project in ring-binders. Latterly dispersed in my de-cluttering campagne. and thus EVERWHERE. I now needs to find all my paperwork prior to the Post office/Royal Mail non-delivery here, and go back to the CAB next week. I was transferring "stuff" into an office surplus Suspension File. I can't get the steel stiffeners needed to carry the weight. They don't seem to have them nowadays - the bendy stiffener is not strong enough for the weight.

Fiddle playing - are you the Lady who busks in Basildon Centre?? Actually, I've had enough Vivaldi on the phone today!
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

No, I have never busked. In Birmingham, the students at the School of music used to practice on the street for money, and I heard possibly the best performance ever of the Bach Double Violin Concerto, with two young violinists playing up a storm. I've heard worse on telly. My dreadful attempts would have earned me pity. I'm better than I was, but still not brilliant.

I really feel for you with your frustrations. Maybe they aren't always intent on obstructing you, but with your difficulties in remembering the precise words you want to use it is doubly difficult. You have been trying to slay more dragons today than I'd attempt in one day. Yes, I think you need to make sure you actually need everything in each file, and consider subdividing some of them. I've separated ongoing medication paperwork from Hip Op stuff and put previous unrelated hospital stuff into archive. These suspension files are a bit fragile, but they are OK for current stuff from this year.

With what you have to endure, don't let ignorant comments from people who don't get the levels of bugeration in Essex bureaucracy, especially local Authorities upset you. Most people want to help, and those that just want to prove their superiority are just gremlins. Just ignore them and they'll go away. I'm sure I have got it wrong lots of times, but you've been very patient with me. I do just want to help. Nil Desperandum.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Never fiddled, and only sang once at a Schools Concert. There were Several schools in (what was then) The Secondary Schools in Romford. The mystro assembled 'undreds of us all To be heard and rehearsed. After hearing the massed choirs, we were dismissed for a very long break, returned to our coaches a heard no more of it.

Back in the 1970/80's I was a Member of "Spare Time Club". Just a group of 20's to 40's putting events into a monthly programme. It was big enough to attract all sorts of interests (I was one of the gang-of-four who took turns to design, and publish, and lead Rambles in Essex. (especially important not to Clash dates with Those two women doing Similar things in Surrey). For A six-month period I was "Link man" to get established and New Members to meet at Monthly intervals. Thus, I was drawn into involving two Ladies from W Essex, Anne and Ann. i.e., A schoolteacher and A Sportscentre Swimming instructor for Anne's Class. (new Towns had no History and made their new structure, including Linking School and Sports teachers). These two women (and a few later additions) were members of the Harlow Chorus - think Albert Hall, Think The "Proms". This longer off the cuff mention that I imagined. Anne-with-an-E, got married and became a Head Teacher in .. Isle of Man. But That was the nearest I got to music !!!! Ann with an E, was also in the Amateur Operatic and Drama Society. She played a Nun in Sound of Music.

Now, where was I before I diverted myself? I thought that once I got a Doc who could actually supply my medical needs, I felt stronger and started to pick up lost thread (I can now walk without Hurty feets, and done away with Walking stick). Unfortunately, I found it was like trying to run several machines at a time I really needs to ofload some stuff, but I kleep finding anomolies that CAB, Stepchange, Age Matters, Noddle, etc havn't grasped. I think I may have mentioned previously (or elsewhere) that If you have been ill, you get all sorts of helpers uninvited, But they all find you other Spevcialist, who interpose their view. One just switches off in the end.

Wonder if it would Help if I went up Langdon Hills to the Forest where there are No Houses and Enjoy a Good SCREEEEEAAAM.