The Cricket Thread 2017

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

The Cricket Thread 2017

Post by Brians Cravat »

It seems that we have a handful (OK, three! ) current posters who have an nterest in cricket. So, I thought that I'd set up a thread on a great Summer sport.

So, it's 'nail our colours to the mast' time. I'm an England supporter and, I enjoy all forms of the garment: T20, 50 overs, county championship and, five day tests. Actually believe that the longer form of the game is so important. The 'crash, bang, wallop' of T20 is entertaining but, the long form of the game is absorbing like a game of chess.

I'm fortunate enough to live fairly close to two major county grounds. Worcester is a lovely ground alongside the River Severan and with a lovely view of Worcester Cathedral from part of the ground. Sadly, it's not big enough to tKe Test matches. Further, it does from time to time get flooded due to it's clise proximity to the River Severn.

The other ground that is quite close is Edgbaston in Birmingham. This is a ground that has recently undergone extensive redevelopment that has turned it i to a super venue. Our eldest son and I will be there in August for a new experience, a day/night test match against South Africa. That said we've been fortunate to see England games at a range of grounds: Old Trafford, Trent Bridge, Bristol, Lords and, the Rose Bowl in Southampton.l

OK, it's your turn.

iI have decided that I'm not going to mention England's pathetic performance yesterday
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Re: The Cricket Thread 2017

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

I recall in my childhood, my father went up to Leeds to see the Test Match at Headingley. Since he was staying with our accountant and his wife, I was also invited and was allowed to go on condition that I knew my 6 times table. By the time we got there, my father had drilled me up to the 8 times, which I always thought of and still do as the most difficult one. Anyway while he was at the Test Match, I was taken out and about, so didn't mind it too much. As I may have said before I like village cricket because it looks pretty, and was made to play at home, (french cricket, one stump, and serial catching, chipped, cracked, broken or 3 drops and you're out.)

One stump was actually, one at the bowler's end and 3 at the batsperson's end. Only one batsman at a time, and for some reason, possibly because my ambidextrous brother also did, I batted left handed. A rather unpleasant cockney boy bowled a fast one at me at school and in terror I swiped out and hit it for 6. Then I retired for ever from the game.

I have become interested in the history of the game and have promised myself to go to the home of the game, Hambledon. It is quite near Romsey a handy half way point for my daughter's Kent home and my West Somerset one. Apparently, it was begun by shepherds throwing stones at hurdles. Once the bearded Vicar's team started beating the Gentlemen it moved to the Capital and people started betting on it. Often ruinous sums, and so players were bribed to lose occasionally. It's been cleaned up by the Marylebone Cricket Club but sometimes people from Other Countries who don't 'get' the notion of Fair Play do try it on.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

So Pakistan win the Champions Trophy beating two of the pre-tournament favourites in the process (England in the semi-final and, India in the final. As England did a couple of years ago, I think thT a lot of teams have underestimated Pakistan. Because of security concerns upon their home country, they have spent several years playing home games in the UAE. I reckon that other teams see this arrangement as some sort of a disadvantage for Pakistan. I can't see the truth of this argument, to be quite honest.
SpringDragon
Getting the hang of it
Getting the hang of it

Post by SpringDragon »

Hello fellow Cricket Fans..... Thank you for sttarting this thread, Brian..... Sorry to come to it a bit late..... Stuff in Real Life....

Managed to listen to most of the matches..... Absolutely thrilled that Pakistan won..... And the way in which they one.... Fantastic skillful bowling, batting and fielding..... BRILLIANT....

I've been a fan since I was a kid.... We live near Lords and I was taken there whenever my Dad was home on leave.... Sadly, we don't have Sky so it's down to TMS..... I miss the old style gentle voices of the Real Pundits.... Wham Bam comentary is fine for T20..... But doesn't suit Test Cricket IMHO....

Not a fan of T20 but I love ODI's and of course... Proper Cricket....

Not so keen on some of the agressive players.... Especially the likes of Stokes....

Hoping to catch as much as possible of the Tests against the Saffers in July....

Let's hope the weather doesn't play too much of a part and that the cricket is exciting...
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

I regard five day test matches as the pinnacle of the game. They're like a game of chess with, the swings in fortune going to and fro. I was there at Edgbaston for the famous 2005 test against the Aussies. Epic!
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Good evening everyone.

Well, having beaten a rather mediocre South African team earlier in what passes for the Summer in this country, England take on West Indies. Windies are a poor side these days standing at 8 in the ICC Test Rankings. It's worth bearing in mind that these rankings only cover ten team and that, one of those, Zimbabwe have a score of zero. Sadly the days of of Clive Lloyd, Viv Richards, Curtly Ambrose, Michael Holding are long behind us.

Of particular interest today is that, this is the first Day/Night Test match played in England and, it's taking place at Edgbaston in Birmingham. What's more, I'm off there on Saturday to see Day three, if it lasts that long. As it stands, at tea on Day one England are 215 for 2 with Joe Root having scored a century and AlistarbCook close to a hundred of his own. If the West Indies bat as poorly as they have bowled today, England should see a victory by Sunday at latest.