How About An Any Day Thread

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How About An Any Day Thread

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

Yes, and it's the week-end! Been a busy week, but my battle with the French keyboard is over: I won .... the machines now acknowledge that the French use a different layout :-)

Surprise surprise, another rally week-end for me, but after next week-end I actually get a break. I'm not sure if I'll know what to do with myself with a whole week-end to play with!

Dull, grey, middling mild, and not a lot of sun forecast. Actually not bad driving conditions for me, I guess.

Trusting all are keeping well.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

It's a beautiful day here. Must go out before slacking cuts in.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

In "some other" Mustardland, I see that Grace is being Sprung from Hospital Sun or Mon - depending on Ambulance availability (Do Ambulances run on Sunday? - They are odd in furrin parts)
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Hope that she finds some decent clothing to Grace the great outdoors and to protect her from Pearl's immoderate jubilation. Cassie was very restrained when I got back from hospital. She gave an old fashioned look as if to say. "Are you home for good or are you going to go off again?"
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

I'm sure she was garbed when she went in... and now it's High Summer... (Stop Laughing)
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Not been in here today. Someone just offered me some work... Looks OK, but then its car hire, Petrol, accom, eating out, Catering staff for for Ginger George... ... This needs thinking about. The offer came on a phone I seldom need, but I think I know the Agent.. Seems He has changed his phone too. My guess is vthat client involves "Every Little Helps".
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

Good morning folks! Gosh, another week heaves into view ... GLO, I guess that needs some thinking about. About rallies - in addition to the "modern" stage rallies I'm mostly involved with, I have been involved with a "Vintage & Veteran" event - which is completely different (and tends to make the "London to Brighton Run" look highly demanding). Of course the owners of the most modern cars (the ones built in the 1920 - 1930 period - nothing more recent than 1930 is even permitted to enter) do like to "open them up" a bit on the lightly travelled back roads, but despite the scoring being careful not to require any real speeds or manoeuvres there's still a special, extra-shortened route for the pre-1900 entries. Quite different to today's closed-road rallying indeed.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

The Bloke who Contacted me to do some work, Tells me we "Worked well together" in the past.... Now, I can remember the name, but He was imminently forgetable. Must have been fifteen years ago. Seems He only works in "Retail" (Spit). Naturally He wouldn't say who his client is (but only one retailer has money to throw about as the Bank they are connected with is now almost solvent). The Job "Just round the corner from me" is three sites in Yorkshire - I live in Essex.. My guess isthat He is Moonlighting from The Agency that He worked for... I told him to think again.....

My car is certainly not pre 1930, My car would be insulted. The story is thus,
The world was all told that Britain must "Export or Die" : The car was designed in Wartime, and was in production (as The Lancaster, Typhhon and Hurricane Bodies) whilst they were still finishing Fighters??. By Mine it had become "The Whitley" with a new Body Style.
King Died in Jan, 1952, so it was "Decreed" that British cars had to enter and win the Monty Carlo Rally in Coronation Year (1953)
Car Industry was controlled by Trade Unions who were so successfull that EU, USA and India now makes the few cars built in GB. Yes I know about the three aweek from Morgan - I meant Significant Prouction..
Unions allowed two saloon car makers and two sportscar makers to the test tracks.
My car was one of the Test Vehicles.
By the Beginning of 1953, they had done enough to develop and start a new model. The Latter was made in parallel, but they had built enough to be eligable for the new model to enter the 1953 Rally.
So My car was re-registered for road use and became the directors car (I think it was used in advertising blurb).
1955, The Chauffer had the engine rebuilt. (can't think why, Mr Bently's Engines last AAAAgesss)
1956, Chauffer retired and bought the (Newly rebuilt) car "cheap" as his retirement gift.
Two owners later, it was mine (1964) BUT.. it still had some 1952 experiments - not many, but some "taped up" wiring (which I think was for the now non-extant Snow spinners on the Headlights) was a bit unreliable so I the sticky tape and replaced the wires. but (non std at the time) modern headlights remained... Left hand dipped down only, but RH down and to the Left, and that nice Mrs wotsit, the transport Manager necessitated me changing Double Dip Headlamps, and Windscreen washers (But London Transport were still allowed to continue to flout the law).
(Have I bored you enough). One of the many carmakers strikes (Locheed in this case) , meant that there was no Hydraulic tappets, so conventional Pre-Hysteric ones that need "Resetting" for time to time - Like ones Grandad used to do. The "Manual" choke was fitted with cars with both Centrifugal Clutches and Preselect Epicyclic Gears -I think Mine was the first with Retrograde Manual Choke - it looks a bit of an "Add-on".
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Interesting GLO. Quite a history with that one. I wonder why they messed about with it. Maybe the Chauffeur found something irksome while he was supposed to be driving it perfectly for a director. Is it really quiet? I tend to judge a car on how quiet it runs. That was why I was never impressed by diesel vehicles, and Sir Blunderdog was of similar opinion.

Now I have the cam belt and auxiliary belts replaced, and the split radiator replaced, the Volvo is running much better. In spite of the disappointment of not having my hip done any time soon, I've had one or two pleasant financial shocks relating to Attendance Allowance and PPI refunds. I can do a couple of things that will make life easier. I had a gardener cut down most of the jungle outside my back window and I can see more clearly now. He isn't particularly cheap but in one morning he did work that a ripoff merchant wanted 3 times as much for doing half. And he's not the kind of bod who has garden weapons will travel, but a proper gardener who knows his stuff about plants.

I held the office chair parts in the opposite orientation from before, and put it together without tears. One arm is on upside down, but I can't remember which one is wrong, but I can resolve that with minimal hassle.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Not quiet.. At least, by modern standards. (The subsequent model, and its successor were much quieter). Probably very Lightweight Coachbuilding so one is with minimal insulation from the engine. I think the Chauffer wanted a Long life for his retirement car - I also ponder on its Rally testing may have given it a Hard Life.
Hip Replacement... I said rather too much on another Mustardland about Surgeons being accomplished in NEW thinking and others telling me that a surgeon would need 10 - 12 years before being in control.. Not so. One of my (many) hospital jobs involved costing Hip replacements.. LONG WHILE AGO 1990. That particular teaching hosp had developed No "pre- measuring", No bespoke needs, No more re-measure.. They turned out a number of New Trainees to have single-purpose Management - All tools and all sizes/types of materials IN STOCK. Do the op - and these New Bods sent out to be in charge of complete Management - and despatched to Several Large Hospitals and stop the Local hospitals from their expensive/slow methods. The Director retired after this, and his Successor swept that aside, and do similar style with knee replace.. Not helping you much in the delay - Political/Finance problems I'm afraid.
Yup. Also sorting cash-flo.
Yes, someone came up with some work.. "Just round the corner from you" He said, "Paying a good Rate" He said (and it is), "I remember us worked together on that Co-oP Job" ... err, What?? I vaguely remember the name, and forgotten Him (of three of us) in Sunny Bedfordshire - which He thought was in distant Essex. Details : "Just round the corner" = Leeds, Hull, and Sheffield. (I live in Essex?). Don't fancy visiting three city Centres - and Finding Parking in three city centres. I was rather put about when The bod Phoning me wasn't who I expected - He called on a phone I've not used for years. I can also guess what "Retail" client He had - Most retail have no money to spend ... except one - That one is involved with a Bank which just announced that they were no longer seeking to be taken over..,. And I hate Retail stuff anyway - They never want results, they just think that their problems are soluable once they've decided how much cash they can afford to write off, and they will automatically be in profit.. I think that BHS, M&S, all thought that - Wonder what happened to them.
Yup, PPI was occurring when I had my stroke, so contracted out the reclaim to whatever Tom Dick and Harry came up un my e-mail adverts. Even this stopped me from replying, so I'm now trying to get the ever-overloaded CAB. BUT... I really must find the paperwork. Next move is to work on Equity Release, I cant take the hose with me to my grave.
I'm going on a bit - I'd better get things done....
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I've been away for a couple of days and now I'm exhausted. I drove up into Shropshire from the edge of Worcestershire, then into Hereford then back home. I met this nice couple in the bar of the hotel my grandmother hosted in 1899. They were in their mid 80s, and I had to repeat what I'd said several times. It didn't matter, it was comfortable, and much cooler than outside. Cassie and I went on to Clun and she had a swim in the river. She's been flat out ever since we got back I made a cup of coffee soon after I got back, and put it down somewhere and can't find it anywhere. I've checked the fridge and the bathroom, but it's vanished. It will be lovely and cool when I find it.
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

Hope you find the coffee, before it grows a new civilisation ... my guess is, you'll have made a fresh mug, you'll set it down, and your gaze will fall on the old one!

Gosh, Friday again. I am really looking forward to next week-end - not going anywhere! (it's Sligo, this week-end - at least that's on the west coast).
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Yes, I thought I heard an echo. I was a bit busy yesterday, but I'm resting today. I enjoyed the play this afternoon, about John Le Carre. A bit silly, but lots of laughs.

Hope all is well.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Been Busy here giving pooter a good talking to. Bacxk here to find ..... How quite it is..
Oh well, Just Me and Rwth...
Oh well, Goodnight, I'll have a look-in tomorrow.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Good Morning. Just whizzing off to get clean and fresh then it's Church (choir) and a walk with Cassie. Then I can come back and slummock for the rest of the day. Hello all.
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

Quick Hi to all, and wishing everyone a pleasant week-end doing whatever comes to mind.