Brian Matthew

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Brian Matthew

Post by Brians Cravat »

Couldn't let Brian Matthew's passing go by without comment.

As someone who grew to love music in the 1960s, Brian was one of the voices of that magical decade. We were used to the big names coming from across the Atlantic which, was also the source of many of the songs. Suddenly, the UK saw this welling up of writing and performing talent that spread all over the world and which, continues to do so today.

Brian Matthew through 'Saturday Club' on the then Light Programme and, 'Thank Your Lucky Stars' on TV, introduced me and others to acts that became our pop and rock heroes. He will be sadly missed.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Re: Brian Matthew

Post by goodlookingone »

Not a Follower of Pop Music, But I seem to recall him of 1960 on a Lunchtime Radio show (May have been a once-a-week programme as as a break from "Workers Playtime") We only had limited Radio in my Apprenticeship days. The spark his name is putting into my mind are "My O'l Man's a Dustman" with different quips to Donnegan's original, and.. introducing Norman Good, The Musician: He opined that His announcers note was "B.G". Pencilled in for Good's due occurranceas.. and Found that Good's Forename was Norman...
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Re: Brian Matthew

Post by Brians Cravat »

GLO, I should explain that I have a catholic taste in music. I was fortunate in that, my generation had music lessons at school. This introduced me to classical music at the same time that I was seeing pop and rock music on TV and listening to it on Radio Luxembourg. My introduction to jazz and blues came a little later. The fact is that I get pleasure from listening to virtually all forms of music. Some men are into cars etc, I'm into music.

Brian Matthew was a long way from today's 'personality' DJs where it's all about them and not, about the music. Have to say that they appear on Radio and Classic fm these days too, I'm afraind