Wednesday is the Anniversary of The Coronation...

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Re: Wednesday is the Anniversary of The Coronation...

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

Privet doesn't need extending. Ours suddenly made a bid for outer space in one season. My husband had a fear of heights - or ladders, but had at least a foot advantage in height and much more in reach.

Was the Coronation coach supposed to go in a matchbox or was that full size? I'm sure you can find large scale maps in the public library, especially local ones. 4 inches to the mile. I had a look at an OS map because I have a subscription and can see the footpaths. I think you'd have to walk them, and see if they are still there. Existing locals would know someone passionate about keeping them open.

Just across the recreation grounds towards the Temple Mills depot, but northwest of there, there seems to be a wilded area. a blue bird denoting a wildlife area. It's not that far from Hackney Marshes where my husband camped while putting on a play in a theatre on the High Street They were enthusiasts from BT drama groups who put on a NON BT funded drama festival. The heavens opened so one fellow thesp shared his caravan. Still a friend.

You could still grow some watercress by the river but not for sale. My dad was reluctant to interfere, but banned farm sheds and grain stores as play areas, made us keep off the path when the horses were going to graze. Farms have always been dangerous places so the idea of kids playing on bomb sites rings alarm bells. I think kids found other ways to kill themselves mostly, railway lines and bridges. as I recall
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Privet doesn't need extending. Ours suddenly made a bid for outer space in one season. My husband had a fear of heights - or ladders, but had at least a foot advantage in height and much more in reach.

Was the Coronation coach supposed to go in a matchbox or was that full size? I'm sure you can find large scale maps in the public library, especially local ones. 4 inches to the mile. I had a look at an OS map because I have a subscription and can see the footpaths. I think you'd have to walk them, and see if they are still there. Existing locals would know someone passionate about keeping them open.

Just across the recreation grounds towards the Temple Mills depot, but northwest of there, there seems to be a wilded area. a blue bird denoting a wildlife area. It's not that far from Hackney Marshes where my husband camped while putting on a play in a theatre on the High Street They were enthusiasts from BT drama groups who put on a NON BT funded drama festival. The heavens opened so one fellow thesp shared his caravan. Still a friend.

You could still grow some watercress by the river but not for sale. My dad was reluctant to interfere, but banned farm sheds and grain stores as play areas, made us keep off the path when the horses were going to graze. Farms have always been dangerous places so the idea of kids playing on bomb sites rings alarm bells. I think kids found other ways to kill themselves mostly, railway lines and bridges. as I recall
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

The map I found seems to be a reproduction of the 1913 original thus an "odd" size of... Wait for it ...1:4340 which they inpret it as 15 inches to the mile. it is 14" by 22", so will exclude many peripheral spots.
The Coronation Coach was in Various Sizes - each being smaller as the previous one exhausted that size/price market. The Casting tools for Penultimat one was deliberately ran through with a Welding torch - so possibly the same as the others, but Matchbox size (Pocket money toys) came too late for the Coronation.

The size/shape of Recreation has moved a bit over the last 150 years, But (from this Map) shows NW of the then Temple Mills plan was the 1913 GER/latterly, LNER) site to be The Filter Beds for The Metropolitan Drinking Water supply so plenty of Birdlife... but There were/is several Filter beds Up to, and Beyond The Lea Bridge Road, called on this map "Leyton Marshes", and odd corners of Millfields (Was "Norton" the name of the Suppliers of "Nannies" to push The Baby's Prams). Certainly Powerscroft Road Mum's certainly wouldn't be pushing their own offsrings prams... and Most Definately not accross The Lea Bridge Road into (gulp)Leyton(gulp).
One of those "Recreation Grounds" was moved several times - One also Know as "Leyton", "Football ground", "Orient", and "Motor Cycle racing".
My map is too early to show the Timber Warehouses and the Barge Docks by "The Cut" ... Thus during wartime (WW II that is) failed to find much wood, and even less furniture making ... Thus some distants timbers that did reach UK were made from various Furniture makers, to Supply Sections of Mosquito Bombers sections, My Mothers older brothers - Both had been hirer/drivers of their car and Commercial vehicle fleet, - hasd become Government Drivers to Deliver Fuselages to De-Haviland - Deisel Artics and "Queen-Mary" skelital low-loaders trailers
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

goodlookingone wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:51 pm The map I found seems to be a reproduction of the 1913 original thus an "odd" size of... Wait for it ...1:4340 which they inpret it as 15 inches to the mile. it is 14" by 22", so will exclude many peripheral spots.
The Coronation Coach was in Various Sizes - each being smaller as the previous one exhausted that size/price market. The Casting tools for Penultimat one was deliberately ran through with a Welding torch - so possibly the same as the others, but Matchbox size (Pocket money toys) came too late for the Coronation.

The size/shape of Recreation has moved a bit over the last 150 years, But (from this Map) shows NW of the then Temple Mills plan was the 1913 GER/latterly, LNER) site to be The Filter Beds for The Metropolitan Drinking Water supply so plenty of Birdlife... but There were/is several Filter beds Up to, and Beyond The Lea Bridge Road, called on this map "Leyton Marshes", and odd corners of Millfields (Was "Norlan" the name of the Suppliers of "Nannies" to push The Baby's Prams). Certainly Powerscroft Road Mum's certainly wouldn't be pushing their own offsrings prams... and Most Definately not accross The Lea Bridge Road into (gulp)Leyton(gulp).
One of those "Recreation Grounds" was moved several times - One also Know as "Leyton", "Football ground", "Orient", and "Motor Cycle racing".
My map is too early to show the Timber Warehouses and the Barge Docks by "The Cut" ... Thus during wartime (WW II that is) failed to find much wood, and even less furniture making ... Thus some distants timbers that did reach UK were made from various Furniture makers, to Supply Sections of Mosquito Bombers sections, My Mothers older brothers - Both had been hirer/drivers of their car and Commercial vehicle fleet, - hasd become Government Drivers to Deliver Fuselages to De-Haviland - Deisel Artics and "Queen-Mary" skelital low-loaders trailers (made in wartime by a Sportscar Maker called "Jensen"
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I've been to the rehearsal for our orchestra for 18 July. Because we have a trumpet in the group we played in an easier key for him, not the one I was expecting.

Your map was much larger scale than the one I expected, or is normally available through the Ordnance Survey. There are very precise maps used by specific authorities. My father had one for the farm that showed pretty well everything not actually walking about. I think Matchbox toys were preceded by Dinky toys which were slightly smaller than Matchbox ones. In those days a grown man could hide in an empty Quality Street tin.

It was surprising that those WWII aircraft were made of wood not metal. But metal was in such short supply that they needed to keep it for situations where nothing else would do. One downed German airman near Cannock Chase was terrified to see several determined women approaching him, only to find that his threat potential was completely cancelled out by the appeal of the silk in his parachute.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Is the 18th July the one in the Church.

Yup; Dinky Toys was my childhood - not that I had much funds to buy at Morrises Toy shop.
Pocket money toys (latterly Matchbox) was a smaller lighter model - Simpler colour spraying, and No Rubber tyres - This, much cheaper. Dinky toys had a couple of Standard Scales (to fit Meccano's Hornby and Hornby Dublo train scales) Matchbox had various scales to fit Matchboxed (Size D), so bigger models bigger models (e.g., buses) sold as a different brand - as did The "Models of Yesterday" vintage vehicles. - and had rubber tyres (That's the answer to a question on a radio quiz show: "What Car maker had more tyes than any other Vehicle maker?" - Lesney of course (LES smith and Jack Odell).

Yup Mosquito was the Wooden Wonder A number from (eight I think) various furniture factories - Gomme (aka G-plan), Beautility, Times Furnishing, Cabinet Industries (aka C.I.), Wrighton (Fred Wrighton). etc. And one of the ... well, not designer, but Production Eng... was Eddie Kiel of Victoria Park, Hackney - Latterly of Keil-Kraft Model aircrat kits. and joint owner of another small firm where I did my apprenticeship.

Never got involved with parachuted Germans - I was safely as "Babe-in-arms" to Devon - I believe My Mum bumped into yanks asking for direction to their barracks that they were supposed to find unaided?? until the Yank in charge (Bloke called Eisenhower) chucked out the Evacuees when the populace found the number of Bods floating on to the beach and realised the practice death numbers; so was sent somewhere place - Mum's Uncle's place among the Three armed sevices combined GB, Yank and Canadians in/around Southampton Docks... A really safe non-military(?) target?????????
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Yes it is the Morning Lay led service.

My brother liked his Dinky cars. He was never enamoured of Matchbox, which were clearly not intended for children to play with, but for forming a collection of replicas. We once gave a friend a red Ferrari in a matchbox, because we couldn't afford a real one.

Was your apprenticeship in carpentry and woodworking? I remember Wrighton Kitchens from the days I couldn't aspire to a new one, but would window shop for kitchens and bathrooms. Where other girls would drool over fashion and cosmetics I added fine china and cutlery to my yearnings. Rather than buy a complete set of utility china in white, my mother would browse the reject shops in the Shambles in Worcester, fix on a shape and buy a few cups and saucers in varying patterns from the Royal Worcester factory. I had a passion for Coalport which I have always thought is the best.

Slapton Sands was the kick-off point for Operation Sea Lion 'masterminded by Ike'. Montgomery was very scornful but had his own undoing in the lanes of Normandy that prevented his overall view of the terrain. He did so miss the desert.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

't wasn't the expectation - they were definately toys - The Later models were more "Dinky" size - and quality (So naturally, I have "collectors" model of my Armstrong Siddeley), but they also likes vehicles (buses and Van's) where they could act as advertising markings on theside (Tetley, Dunlop, Daily Mirror, etc - and Yankee beers when they were trying to export more).

Wrighton's Distinctive Furniture was aimed at Bedroom Furniture (Their Furniture Lorries had a huge Picture of a Lady lauding their new furniture to her friend), but furniture gave way to Kitchen furniture as a new business took over - starting with a transport firm - A scottish name when tartan patterns took over their Furniture pictures on the vans.

My two Uncles drove the Wartime Aircraft parts to De Havilland - They had already met Fred Wrighton in their car/Limosine Business. Even more so, post-war, after The Young Wrighton (Bill) had come home one night and parked hisdad's Lagonda in the Garden Pool in front of their Dad's garden.

Worcester and Coalport China was a feature in Stones (A Department Store in Romford - lattery merged with Copsey's Shops and then Debenham's, and now derelict).

NO - not me - not wood. It is horrible stuff - You cant weld it, Drill and tap, Heat treat it. I was an Instrument-maker. The firm - Scorpion Precision Co - Latterly Elmic Ltd (The Prime proprieter was D Elms). they did toolmaking for the Local Aero/maine Companies (Marconi, Plessey, Kelvin Hughes etc) and for the complte design/make/tooling for model boat and model aicraft parts etc. among other things. All gone now of course Given away to the EU.

As a Babe in Arms I know nothing of Slapton, But I was given to beleve that Beaches were excluded by barbed wire - hence being prammed around the countryside bumping into lost Uncle Sam's soldiers needing directions.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I'm sorry, I've been feeling grim. Barely able to move from pillar to post without having to stop to catch my breath. I think I have a lung infection, because the Olbas oil seems to be working. Going shopping yesterday was a bit of a nightmare but I got the essentials.

Leslie Thomas's novel "The Magic Army " was all about that gathering of forc es in Devon. I liked nearly all his books. Often it was like a ghostly hand reaching out from page 1 to fix you to the book until you finished it

I worked for Debenhams in a manner of speaking back when they hooked up with Matthias Robinsons in Leeds to share Audio, TV and domestic electrical items. It was a bit like Grace Brothers and after my college course in Household management, I walked in and asked for a job in electrical. The Personnel manager was impressed and said that most young girls wanted to work in cosmetics and fashion so gave me the job on the spot. I Wouldn't have minded the dusting if it wasn't for the obstacle race to get near the shelves, and the diminutive but very waspish First Sales man. He took an immediate dislike to me because I didn't speak Leeds. Once though I made a mistake and had to go and see Young Mr Robinson, who I wouldn't want to be in the room with if the door was closed. I did say that Mr H had told me the price of the item, but I'd misunderstood that the sale price now included the attachments. Mr H was nicer to me after that. The China department was next to ours but was presided over by a terrifying floorwalker who was nominally in charge of us too, but the line was blurred so she hated us. I didn't venture over the line, even in my spare time. It seemed to be all crocks though or I might have risked it.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi....
Sorry to read that you are unwell. Is Olbas oil Sufficient? I thought it was merely a decongestant and you suggest that it may be an actual infection....
I hope you have got some medical assistance since your post - I know getting to a Doc/GP is difficult nowadays. I'm getting trouble with mine.

I too have done a few jobs in Retail - and I hated it... But just to mention, the third entrapanour (Beyond toy cars and wooden aircraft) in Sunny Hackney was Jack COhen (The CO part of TESCO) - But Like the other two, he had no money, so His financier was T E Stockwell (the TES part of TESCO) He flogged whatever He could get - by taking his Barrow to the Shop doorway of The Co-oP - try doing that on his shop?

The shop that at least (somtimes) entertaining was a High Street Chemist ... Boots. Always short of Working space. If you are ever in Piccadilly Circus, look up for the "Sobell" tv advert - Behind the sign is a table in Boots Staff Canteen - The table there had to suffice as my "desk".
I had then recently worked on a Number of Hospitals in that Area, and a few weeks before Boots, myself and one of the Clients staff were at our joint leaving "do" just a few yads away from Boots. Boots do not normally sell magazine, but they did have one "good Housekeeping" and The cover girl .... was my recent Colleague just few weeks earlier - She was the Editor of Good Housekeeping??
The Hospitals that I was working on was "Interesting" - The Shaftsbury was Next to a church with the Borough boundary between them - so imagine Tesco's Daughter's council letting her cockroaches getting in to one of one of "Red Ken's" borough's.
My last Boots job was in Kensington Church Street. Their claim to entertainment was The Pharmacist - a pleasant enough bloke and the Wimmin liked him (a different one collected him every night) He was Arabian. His Dispenser was Jewish and Hated the Arab... and His interests was NOT wimmin??? The HATE was tangable.

Hope you can get your medic matters sorted.

M.........................
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I've been to the doctor (yesterday) and am going for an xray later this morning, if I get there. Had a pain in my arm this am so rang 999 feeling guilty as one does. But the doctor said they have equipment they can use to see if they need to take you to hospital. I thought of you and your strokes. How did you get the ambulance? Presumably sufficiently not Hors de Combat to get to the phone. Or an alert neighbour.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Well, Good that you are getting something done...

For me.. I didn't actually get the Ambulance, I went to GP. I missed my call in the waiting room. Eventually someone put me back top-of-list. Doc said little or nothing but, found a spare nurse (Dental? Hurty-foot-dept? Maternity?????? Who knows - certainly was not her own Practice Nurse) to sit with me whilst She (GP) left me to phone.
I Think The anbulance crew (two women) avoided the Town Centre Traffic and took the "Pretty Route" through woodland to New Hosp Dept Building site. - One driving, and the other doing tests and writing up notes. Once at the Hosp they exchanged details with the admitting doc and transfered their Notes into Hosp pooter whilst The Hosp Nurse arranged my Scans

Now that I think ... I doubt if you will be reading this if you are at, or en-route to, or at The Hospital.

Speak/post when they've sorted you.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

just copied the above into The Bleak Midsummer Page for July