Moderator: Moderators

goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Mists and Mellow Fruitfullness

Post by goodlookingone »

OK, So I'll start the September Page.
Winter Draws on.
My intention was to "get things done" Yup, another attempt. Started by going to a Hardware shop, as a group were forming an interest group re the nearby Langdon Hills Nature reserve. It seems it was no more than flogging a sausage roll in a couple of slices of Mothers Pride, but no development at all.
Maybe just as well, as I'd rather see it left as it is. It is true that the Boy Scouts have established their own fenced area within the park for city kids to see what a tree looks like. So far the odd few houses down an unmade road have fended off a Housing estate, and no doubt in time the growing populace will swallow it up.

Whoops - Interruption - phonecall from sister - she wanted to know how the cat is.

Where was I? Oh yes, Getting waylaid earlier. I walked back to the Town after the Hardware shop and bumped into the Lady who wants to talk. so lost another hour in the coffee shop. I'd better get on with something.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Re: Mists and Mellow Fruitfullness

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

You sound busy doing good. Listening to people is a vital service. You have special skills in Public services, which lends a value to the questions you ask. Glad someone cares about the cat, as well as you of course.

After yesterday, when my gardener planted and watered my new plants, and burnt a pile of clippings we had some heavy rain during the night. I have my cleaners coming today so I had better scoot. I was having breakfast, but now I've finished, it's time to get on with things again.

I measured my length in the hall, trying to make my way in pitch dark, I reached for a door frame and it wasn't there. Walking around in the dark isn't compulsory, but I usually prefer it. Turning on the bathroom light then trying to manage without it before my eyes had adjusted was a foolish thing to do. I was glad to get back to bed safely. I'm fine this morning.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

I'm not really keeping up - Too many thoughts over the last few weeks.,
I have only just seen that Coockiepuss (A long standing "Old BBC" er) had her Hip replacement today - probably wont be discharged over the weekend (Usually Doc Shortages on non-emergency's like discharge) so I guess it will be Monday.

Don't go about falling over - I thought only I did that. I tripped and banged my head on my Doorstep. It looks like the 3rd Anniversary of my carer reported the uneveness, and being warned that it would take eight weeks. Another thing to complain about to The Local Councillor - Don't know who He is: .i don't get mail since the council changed my address. Yup, I MUST get my life in order.

Have you noticed how Verdant the Greensward recovered after just one day following the Sun dried Summer.

I'd better go - Trying find my marbles.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

She's back home, but feeling quite weak and feeble. I'd better make a lot of soup to keep me going for a few days. My op is on 20 September and I'm looking for someone to look after my dog while I'm away. They haven't given me a date to have my steps done, so I'd better sort that out tomorrow.

I will have time to practise the Orchestra pieces, and send the Magazine off to the printers before I go.

Your local authority website will have a record of election results, or refer you to the County Council, but they also have a list of who the councillors are for each ward. We sent a copy of the Harborne News to every Councillor in Brum via their pigeon holes. The news was incriminating and embarrassing for the Leader of the Council, but no doubt his legal advisers warned him that suing for libel has to be able to demonstrate that it is untrue. They were paid for by the Council Tax payers so that was lucky.

My Bay Tree and my mint have benefited from the rain.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

So you have ten days to present yourself. Do you have a dog "holiday home" on your list, in extremis you can ask your vet for a temp home (don't accept the vet's offer to look after him - it will cost a fortune at Vet prices).
I'm a bit cautious of approaching the Local Council. They still show the existence of my legal address on their web page, so I don't want to stir them into deleting it. There are more complications involved than I put on here - but try this one: are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin:

The Council cannot delete the House number. but Solicitor tells me the Council will ignore that, do what they like, but He would be happy to accept my hundreds of £'s to argue for me,
These houses were built with Tiled numbers built into the Brickwork and are not readily changed.
The council did not send any of their staff, but involved vandals who would spray glue over my wall and position a plastic number.
I complained and they removed it, just leaving glue and my legal address.
They told the GP that I had a new address - A DIFFERENT number to the one they stuck on my house
GP (well, their staff) were instructed to tell me "You do not exist anymore and all the GP's will be told the same"
(I found a GP who DOES find my address in the coucil's list of addresses as did I. I am now registered with that dock, albeit a cabride away, hence only seem sparingly (OK, The new GP needs test results that she sent me to, before installing my records, but you get the point).
This is a Pedestrian Estate, but the Road (by which the estate name was named) runs alongside the far side (from me).
The council has divided the 400odd houses into different names.
The area the allocated here has no access from that road.
The Council got Re-generating the estate with a Shiny new road. This Road includes Vehicular access (brick road that can carry a 16 ton fire-engine) via padlogged gates from THIS side of the estate.
That road is a) A PRIVATE road. b) because it is private, the police pay no interest in vandelism or non-taxed, non-insured vehicles c) that is the only access to the estate, and no longer has through numbering for fire/ambulanc drivers who have gate keys. d) to cover the cost of the private police, one has to but dockets (in advance, no idea where) to park ones car there, or have visitors e) But... they can only afford the private police up to 3 PM, so after that Cars park anywhere without paying, without recognising the Fire gates non-parking rules, and without police interest. i.e., When people are coming home from work and all through the Evening when Revellers leaving the Station look for some vandalism fun.

I never realised how complicated that was until I tried to put it in writing (and that's a precis). sorry to bore you - I shall take some pills before I attempt to prep myself for CAB...

MAATTRROOOONNNNNNNN, My pills please.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

I just posted this in Facebook Mustardland Board.

Oh Dear. I don't know how many people here remember the Old BBC boards, and The Companion thread run by Peet. I have only just found that Peet died today. Peets thread is still open, and there is much about his recent years. Not certain of the etiquette of posting access to his board, but I can message you (or just look up Paranormal.

http://www.paranormal.org.uk/mustardlan ... p?t=113334
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

A very sad loss indeed, but his (and Bob's) legacy lives on. Long may that last.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I have left my comment re Peet in Paranormal.

Your troubles are not of course of your making, If it is your own house you would never be able to sell it with those problems, but if you are a tenant, I'd recommend finding somewhere in the sticks with all facilities, say in Suffolk, where they might not mess you about. The Council website probably only chases direct requests but anyone can look for information about Councillors as they are obliged to be open and transparent about general stuff, so I didn't mean to scare you and provoke you into having to explain again, sorry. I'm sur I've heard something about this on Radio 4 and even they haven't managed to curb the Council's web of Bureaucracy. It will be some Mandarin with more power than ethics who enjoys playing with people's rights. Probably not very bright. I enjoyed a book by a friend, Jane Hogg called "Beware the Mandarins" which tells the story about how a young statistician compiled figures on the siting of fire stations then went on to do the same for police stations. Chosen for their access to all addresses with the aim of preventing fatalities, they also prevented major loss of business investments through fire, and later, crime. These also happened to be suited to prime investment sites, and dramatic efforts were made to stop her informing Fire and Police chiefs. It is a rewrite of her earlier book which I read from cover to cover and I wouldn't be surprised if she hadn't been persuaded to reduce some of the details. She lives under a different name in private. It involved the Home Office, but Local Authorities deal with so many things that opportunities for corruption thrive alongside comfortable incompetence.

Keep taking the tablets
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

As you can see, I'm prevaricating again. The Bod who was i/c of the "Re-generation" is not referred to as Mandarin. The recently de-selected Councillor referred to her as "That Witch" - If she lives where I think she lives, it is over where my Ol' Grandad's House once stood.
You may have read in The Guardian (probably in The Sunday Supplement) - I think it was called "What's in a name".
The Great problem I have is getting words in order (You won't believe how many mistakes I have made in the few words of this note). I want Something that a) makes Sense, b) reads to be intelligent and not just a rant, and c) an intelligent person will take the trouble to read through instead of just brushing it off. I'm aiming to get such a missive despatched before the Current MP disappears to the Party Conference Season. - I think he is more attentive than his two predecessors, but I seem to recall he is pre-concerned about The arm services (or lack of). nd Yes, I have met two of his predecessors.
I needs similar reasons to mail my House Insurers Legal eagles - not that they can get a letter back to me .. as another tangent, An unstamped Envelope but with a Houses Of Parliament emboss DOES seem to find it's way here.
Moving away ... Possibly, but as you say, I will need a proper address, and then I might not need to move. Two areas in mind - one is as near to the Conservation Woodlands, or The Nature Reserve (a Mile or so away, bordering the Next Borough), or North Essex - Not Clacton or Walton, but inland, west Of Colchester - Nobody have tried changing Colchester addresses - that former politician (Hadrian) built a damn great Castle and barracks to fend people away. and it's worked pretty well for 2000 years. (Don't know how fearsome No 2 Para might be, but the Sergeant Wives terrimify me)
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

My insurers will email responses to me. Since your problem is clearly the lack of an address, I'm sure they will be happy to email a copy of their letter to you.

Your problems with letters are obviously grave, but I'd be happy to edit a letter for you and email it back within hours or minutes. Then you can tweak it before you send it off. I used to do incomplete records accounting so can unpick a word hoard.

I only suggested moving away because of the problems with parking, after hours policing etc. I know a lady solicitor who terrifies lots of people, but not me. Colchester sounds like a safer place. Near the Lexden Roman site sounds good. A friend of OH used to live round there but moved to suburban Braintree for commuting reasons. I sometimes call myself Hamstring Harriet when on a shopping mobility vehicle, but those aren't equipped with knives, unfortunately.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

That is very nice of you, Rwth. I may well do that, probably not today. I don't want to clutter too much info to be treated whilst fleetingly seeing the nub of matters..

Braintree had housing estates added, but I think it's main interest was because Beaching left one of the few east anglia branches (but not through trains to London) Single track and no late service. My gripe about the Clacton/Walton side is that the Local Bus operator has been shedding routes, and have now given them away to a somewhat poorer/smaller outfit. Doubt if they will have any service out-of-holiday time.
Yup, I worked there too. The Extreme of the N E Thames Regional Health Authority - Remember the sinking of the Herald-of-Free-Enterprise at Holland! The Area Major Incident plan included a possible Harwich/Felixstowe Similar repetition. The Police Essex and Suffolk/Ambulance/Hospital Requirements were seconded to the Lifeboat/Coastguard/air-sea rescue (which was Then the USAF). It was interesting, but The Secretary who went to Colchester General Hosp via pony and trap, had to relinquish her Grazing space to the Helicopter Pad Nearer than the USAF Aerodrome Hospital??
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Much thanks for offering to proofread My Mail, but I'm afraid I have had a few problems Not got my act together. Looks like Three (maybe four) businesses to Contact Insurer re Legal (aiming at Royal Mail), Councillor Re Councils Failure to do THEIR repairs that they haven't done (I fell over the Paving they were to repair). MP, Who was of some (minimal) help when Doc put the fake address on my prescription because "You Don't Exist" (yup got it in writing), and Financial Services Authority (OK, They have a different name now), re my Mortgagors sending their address and bank receipt number to some address that was not mine- and sending their bill collector that I had not paid, and they were charging me.

However .... Put all that to one side: I believe that Your "op" is this week I'm not certain if 20th is your date of presenting your presence, or, that you must present the day before for the Op on that date. Whichever I probably won't be able to contact you before then. I Hope you won't be out of circulation for more than a couple of days, and you will soon be back, firing "on all six cylinders". Also hoping you have found a dog lover to "dog sit... " . If not there is always a Holiday Accom for Dogs.

Best Wishes...
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Thanks for your helpful comments. I have a holiday home for Cassie. A friend from the village found her for me, and it turns out she knows my next door neighbour, who might have recommended her if we had chance to chat. I've had builders taking away my useless steps and rebuilding with three new steps. They will probably finish tomorrow. I take Cassie tomorrow,then come home and get ready for being collected at 5.30 am on Thursday to arrive at Yeovil Hospital at 7.30. As long as it goes at their usual pace I will be out on Sunday, ready to recover at home. Independent and bloody minded that's me. Lots of offers of help,

If I can help with the resistance I'm happy to do so. I'll try and knock up a draft letter to Insurance and Mortgagor. They had your original address, and one hopes your mortgage has been kept up to date by Direct debit/Standing order. Use the Financial Ombudsman, and/or Resolver. The kind of thing where their duty to keep you informed by email has fallen down and their ability to pull up their collective socks has been sadly lacking. The Council's duty to do their repairs is not excused by their failure to use whatever address they have for you as you have provided the correct one at all times. Good luck.

I hope your new doctor will also help with the Council's duty to make appropriate repairs for a Council Tax payer who is at risk of trips and falls and being vulnerable does not need further trauma to the head. At least I hope your regular supply of medication is renewed. They should send prescriptions to whichever pharmacy you nominate, and both Boots and Lloyds will deliver if they can understand your directions. Or maybe they will send you a text when your meds are ready for collection.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

I know little about West Country NHS. , but yes, I would guess a discharge about three days ex-op., they iike the vacancy that you leave, to be available promptly. But theres a scarcity of Discharge Doc on a Sunday. My one kept me waiting in the Day Room pending the pharmacists bag of pills.
I'm a little anxious of you finding a new flight of steps so soon after your op!

When I was discharged from my stroke, all sorts of people were volunteered as "Carers", unasked for. My (then) GP sent RED CROSS bod (Felt sorry for him, He got a Parking Bill for what had become a "Private" road (yes that's involved in my Address change complaint - even though I still had my real address at that time), even though he was useless as a "Helper" - sat at my table with his head in his hand close to tears, The GP's nurse sent someone else (Who was reluctant to come in as she was allergic to cats. She did eventually come in and did a lot of record updating), Bossman in Hospital did send one of his staff to help with writing and speach - She was very useful, until she went on Holiday (Thinks: do you remember Anqua the Vegetarian Werewolf in Peets/BBC/and still occasionally in faceache - She was a near neighbour to her), The same Bossman Also found a Countywide outfit to supply a Secretary (Not certain that I had the income to deal with her cost - and I wanted to Sort My Own Tax matters coming unexpectidly to an unplaned retirement, and I WANTED to see what paperwork was being disposed of). The Hospital Chaplain (who took a great interest in all the Names on A Mustarland Card). Sent The Stroke Lady Who was useful in finding/selling stroke patients Motor insurance. But also pointed me to What The Local Council takeover of the National Age Concern, although they are actually managed by two MP' (the Parliamentary boundary goes through this borough - one of them (in my corner of the Borough) especially interested in (what is now called) Age Matters - hence my interest in getting him -re-involved.
The Carer who was helpful is One I picked up independently of this lot was Very Helpful. She who did the instructors to The Council to get Pavement repaired (got it in writing) Which itself got delayed by A gutter overflow possibly caused by tree roots in the Councils Drain (i.e., a drain becomes a sewer (including storm sewer) where two drains are combined.

Prefer to get my own Medicines From the Apothecaries. I used to get my needs from wherever I was Working - I remember staying, working in Milton Keynes pending me taking 'scrpit for processing. not easy if local bod delivering at home. But there is another problem; Boots, The Co-oP, Every-Litle-Helps, Walmart/Assoc Dairy (aks ASDA) were all clients I was dealing with - including their Pharmacy, and I didn't need them Knowing my needs.

This Doc tends to set Due dates by text - currently has advice to get an appoint for 'Flu injections from 22nd onwards. It looks s though they hire an extra staff to dwell at each surgery.

Glad you've got Dog and Tranport in order.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Do you have a Mobile Pooter in Hosp? Best wishes.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Noted your entries elsethread, Assume you have a pooter in Hosp . Don't forget it when you get Sprung.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Home again. Volunteer Driver was a bit resentful because he said he didn't work weekends. I didn't keep him waiting at the hospital because I told them he was coming at 2ish, so they got their act together and sorted medication and paperwork in good time.

Occupational therapists sent me a new trolley that I didn't need or have room for. I said I wouldn't need it but they insisted. Maybe I can use it for cake at elegant tea parties when my garden is suitable. Or maybe not. Cassie's hostess is bringing her back shortly .

Then she can have her dinner and I can get a decent night's sleep.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hello there. I find it very tiring, leaving Hospital. Probably for the First move after doing nothing (OK, I've only been an inpatient three times. for one of which I was only three or four). Do you have a follow-up date? Hope transport is laid on. . never encountered Volunteer drivers.

Hope you have food deliveries and can cook.
I'll guess Cassie is back now.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Had the appointment for Physio back in Yeovil. Fighting against bureaucracy. Yeovil Hospital wants the money for the first Physiotherapy appointment. I've got my GP on the case. I'm not paying to go when there is a local hospital with a physiotherapy department. If they really want me they can pay. My daughter agrees with me. Community Transport is a collection of local charities that has volunteer drivers which you have to pay fuel costs (50p per mile) and Hospital transport (free) only accepts people who can't find a volunteer to take them. I may be post operative but I can fight my corner. My GP probably has more clout so I'll use the system to make sense of the arrangements. A key component is to phone after 2pm when the lines go quieter.
Then Sainsbury's to arrange food delivery but they had changed their website and my logon details were locked. Callcentre machines always claim to have a high volume of calls and refer you back to their website. Guaranteeing high stress levels for their staff who have to calm down apoplectic customers driven to screaming point by the recorded announcements.

I'm coping well though. I stocked up fairly well before I left so don't need much. I have the ingredients for Tuna Surprise which may contain Tuna. Mushroom surprise contains Mushrooms that can be eaten many times, or only once. The Menu Man at the hospital was quite funny.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Is the Tuna surprise that You don't have any Tuna...?
Glad you have your supplies sorted. (and cassie's)
And are your new steps Built?

My Local (Basildon) Hospital had AWFUL food when I was there, but I have been using their cafeteria on recent Outpatient Visits; Food better, (but Expensive). Caterers are the same ones used in Basildon's Tractor Assembly Shop's Canteen (Cheep and much Subsidized). BUT.. if the Hospital Fire Alarm sounds just as you've sat down, you have to abandon your plate: it happened to me.
Hope your GP is a bit of a Rottweiler. A local Lady (other side of Basildon) has to pay for her first Transport (to a Brentwood Hospital) which means two x buses to Brentwood, then pay for a cab to the Hospital. BUT, once there she could get on Brentwood's Ambulance "Sitting patient" transport for subsequent visits, A group run by outlying villages. Alas, the negotiations passed her Appoint date, so the Next attendance was a Romford Hospital.
The Brentwood Hospital touched on a nerve this week. When I worked I was involved in closing that Hospital - It was Bequeathed to the "People of Brentwood" (after WW I) but in later days in NHS inheritances, it specialised for only certain specialities, but over a larger catchment i.e., many outside of Brentwood. so it was returned to its Benefactors Successors under their intentions. Since then, The Successors re-bequeathed the land, but the frequent updates of processes and Building was left to the NHS, thus re-opened (But it has Beautiful Gardens ) When I was there the "Client's Man" was Dave Hodges. His Brother (A "pop" singer called "Chas") died last week, mentioned on the National News. thus the "touch on a nerve"