Re: Lurking

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

inkwell
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Could I please raise a query, vis-a-vis the rules. Looking back at GLO's post from Saturday 17th June, this game involves quoting ''a word" and the next poster must come up with an unconnected word. However, there have been a couple of instances since then when phrases seem to have been used. The most recent example is 'dragline excavator'. I am of course ignoring 'Corn crake', as this should be a word anyway, rather than two.

It could be argued that the use of two word phrases make it more difficult to find an unconnected word. For instance pterodactyl eggs immediately preclude the use of any words related to pterodactyls or eggs.

Could I ask that the International Court of Arbitration in Sport considers this matter and issues a a definitive ruling immediately please?
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

Assuming this is "time-out": my vote is to allow only "words", not "phrases". Not quite sure about hyphenated words, but IMHO hyphenation would be allowed if the word made sense WITHOUT the hyphenation (to take one word from an earlier phrase, say "drag-line" - that would be fine since it's ok written as "dragline", but "dragline-excavator" would not be, since "graglineexcavator" is not good).

I guess WE THE PEOPLE ..... ARE the court of arbitration :-)

Want me to start a poll?
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

I'm with you EB.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Oh Dear... The game has not moves as I thought - I think that's partly due to Losing contact with "Experienced Players", But we don't yet have them here, Nothing wrong with this group of course, but with so few, it is too slow to react without stpping to think...
The rules were always negotiable, but not helped by the fact that Birdy had the Original rules (No one asked her to) but they were so complicated that they never got written and posted. As I remember she had reached page two thousand and something, and each rule had several caveats..

Of course, We cant rely on long lost boards (Westy did still have a Link in Sue's, but She was not able to share her time with us). Two Rules that were very definate was that :
1) I think it was rule 793, para vi) was that one could only Be Buzzed (i.e., challanged) immediately after the errant post. No going back to any post entered in the last thousands of posts that preceded it.. That included any BUZZZ made between deciding to challenge and your BUZZZ actually arriving, which was now invalid, and Must Include your own "word" or the Buzzeree would also be BUZZED.
2) A Word did not have to be limited to a single word. I seem to remember "Bank Holiday Monday" being a particularly difficult if being onl one of those words selected.

I'm not putting that as well as I intended: I just cant find words as easily as I used to - but I'll remember the word I need after I've Posted.

This leaves us in the "Arbitration Court" so I suppose we can make the 2017 edition of the rule book (Wonder if 3wells have any record, OR if we will get the "Archived" records of Sue's Proboard???) I have been looking for the thoughts behind the original discussions of the rules - Problem is, of course, that we were not only entering our "word" or Buzzes, but were also adding our social movements between getting back to our next post (for example, I was disscussing Work I was involved in a Yorkshire Power Station, that another poster was latterly then working on). At one time Foreign posters had different "waking hours" (or summer/winter hours) so reposts were posts often were sometimes a bit delayed. I have not yet found the Actual words of the rule making. One batch of 2000 postings, thus. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbarchers/NF26 ... &skip=2000

Some of those Posters are still around under other names.

One other thing (sorry to go-on a bit) Can we get Italics on this board.. please... ?

My word: Jabberwocky
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

GLO, we have italics on this board - and bold, underline, and such things. You just need to use the "full editor" (click the "Full Editor & Preview" button below the Quick Reply box), and Voilà ....

My word: glass
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Thank you - apols fos absence: I have been trying to entice another game-player to here, but she seems to be knee deep in The English Language range of her ex sue's Links...

My word

Headache (Yup, Italics work.)
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Under the current rules of this game, I would like to claim an allowance as a left-handed Scorpio.

My word is: grotto
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

It sounds like the rule-book for this game is a little like "The Now Official Rules for Allotment Golf" [reference to Robert Rankin's "Brentford" books, specifically "The Brentford Triangle"].

My word this morning is: caliper
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

There was a Bloke wearing a Caliper.. But I saw him in a Grotto .. So thats a BUZZZZZ

RabbitHole
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

I'm definitely going to have to BUZZZZZZ that one: the thought of a bloke wearing a Caliper (whether a measuring tool or a brake component) in a grotto makes me feel like I've fallen down a rabbit-hole!

Now try this for totally dis-associated:

tesla (stress NOT capitalised - the SI unit, not the 19th/20th century inventor or the modern corporation!)
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Well, A caliper is a Medical tool to help disabled people as a Leg/Ankle bracing. And may well enter a Grotto.

Tesla: A serbian Gent who developed measurement of Magnetic Flux..

It would be damn near impossible to NOT meet a magnetic Flux.. Lectrickery, motors, and compass readings all over the place.. Hoe about .. A Faraday cage in a .... No, that wont work.. How about "Black-Hole".. Ok, tha's my word.
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

I must admit the medical device had escaped me, I was thinking more of old Mr. Flawse in Tom Sharpe's "The Throwback", using calipers to measure the "cephalic index" of potential fathers of his "bastard grandson"! So I guess the panel should award you a bonus point ... and I won't even b*zz you, although "black hole" is really two words and such phenomena would tend to have truly tremendous magnetic fields!

Here's my word for this morning before I get stuck into the latest rally results: election
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Pernickety. That's my word not a comment on previous posts.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

Petrichor
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

This game seems to have moved far from the earlier games.. Did we reconcile that "Word" must now be One-word words? All seemed much more Fun on The "Sorry I havn't a Clue Words"

Trebuchet
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Scrape
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

Maybe we need a separate discussion on game rules, to form some consensus? I'll kick off a "Game Rules" thread and let's see if anyone salutes ...

The Word Is: Diffract
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Reckon the Rules Discussion Thread is a good idea.

My word is: 'acolyte'.