The "Bowman" Board

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Re: The "Bowman" Board

Post by Brians Cravat »

Thank you EB. I have also received advice/support from 'Theta' in the past.

How nice to see 'Maggie'. Do reveal yourself. You are welcome here.
Threewellsofmyown
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Threewellsofmyown »

Ach isn't it nice of Maggie to call in to watch us?

You could even say hello to us as we don't bite you know....
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi Maggie.. Is that "Maggie from Wales" that we know?
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

Hmm ... and I thought we'd be done with this. But Maggie, I'm afraid, is being just a little bit disingenuous:
I have never been on that board never likely to so whoever is trying to make mischief is wasting their time I have no interest whatever in him or his board and I have no idea who goes on there.
Not quite true - she certainly was here, and posted, on Wednesday two weeks ago (on the by-then kinda mis-named "Tuesday" thread):

http://mustardland.intricatewebs.com/vi ... &t=42#p570

As a guest, it is true, so the post had to be approved, which I did. Since she first registered her account at "Greenland" that same morning, I'm now guessing she got here by mistake, and didn't actually realise she was (shock! horror!) POSTING in the lair of TEEB (tm) [The EVIL Ebony Bull]. No matter; the IP address (which does, indeed, trace to Wales) reveals several subsequent visits ... and specifically to this thread (directly, not through the "index", thus suggesting a book-mark - or other "remembered" page).

There's quite a few "reads" of this thread - since 13th June there's been over 700, from over 100 different IP addresses, so I guess there's quite a few in "Greenland" who like to keep informed (and may have some awareness that "the powers that have been anointed" may not be telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth).

So if Maggie herself hasn't actually looked since her last visitation (just after 4pm on Thursday 15 June), she's certainly in contact with and being kept up-to-date by someone who has!

::halibut::
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

So now the Village Pump has opened. I've had a look. Mermaid is the administrator, and the mods are anonymous - again! Thanks but no thanks. I've had enough of that kind of spite.
Threewellsofmyown
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Threewellsofmyown »

Agreed Rwth

I always let my position as a mod be known because I believe in being open and honest
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Not wantinmg to be a Troublemaker.. Or am I not grasping the point! The Memberlist .. err, lists Global Moderators.. What should I be looking for??

Signed,
An Ignoramus.
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

In "Proboards" terms, a "Global Moderator" is a moderator on all boards (or categories). It's possible (as Angie has done) to set up moderators only for specific boards.
chara
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by chara »

Hello, I felt obliged to register to help you identify mystery visitors. I tend to browse forums at odd hours and I am an erratic poster, mostly on the dog forum in Sue's.

I have no idea about the politics of all the mustardland boards as I prefer real life politics. I have visitors this weekend but I will find the dog thread before long and dribble on about my dogs, my username is that of a beautiful little Galwegian dog from Kinvara who delighted us for 13 years and "an Chara" is a term used in communications from the Irish Revenue when I worked in Ireland, I was told it means friend as an egalitarian term of address.
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

chara wrote:Hello, I felt obliged to register to help you identify mystery visitors. I tend to browse forums at odd hours and I am an erratic poster, mostly on the dog forum in Sue's.

I have no idea about the politics of all the mustardland boards as I prefer real life politics. I have visitors this weekend but I will find the dog thread before long and dribble on about my dogs, my username is that of a beautiful little Galwegian dog from Kinvara who delighted us for 13 years and "an Chara" is a term used in communications from the Irish Revenue when I worked in Ireland, I was told it means friend as an egalitarian term of address.
Thank-you for the courtesy; you are correct, "cara" does indeed mean "friend" (and whether the "h" is added or not would depend on grammatical context - it's a LONG time since I did Irish in school!). Starting a letter with "A cara" is more or less the equivalent of "Dear Sir/Madam".
I think someone did start a "dog" thread here, but this is not a very active board. Sue's of course is no more; you could join the "bowman" board (the subject of this thread) but you might gather we here don't think very much of it - however it might suit you. I think they may have "Fellman" who is definitely a "doggie" person. There's another "new" board just opened, run by "Mermaid" (former moderator "Delta"/"Rho" from Sue's), look in Proboards for "thevillagepump" and you should find it. Then of course there's always Peets, the original "Mustardland" and in many opinions the only "real" one (hence the name here, "Alt-dot-"). By far the liveliest of the lot, and has (and always has had) sane moderation.
If you do post back here again, maybe look for the most recent "general" thread in The Bull (currently, it's a thread titled "Friday"); this thread, per it's title, is mostly about the "Bowman" board (aka "greenland") and is not very complimentary.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

Chara,
You are more than welcome here. I began many moons ago, posting on the old BBC boards, transferring to Sue's when the BBC closed their boards down. Like you, I am less concerned about the 'politics', I just find it nice to chat with friends. I grew more and more disenchanted with Sue's over the last year or so. I found it depressing. I find these boards a much happier place to be. Come back soon.
chara
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by chara »

Thank you for the welcomes. I followed a similar path to Brian, started on the BBC boards, joined Peet's in 2006 then Sue's when it started. Not a regular poster on any of them but I found most of my doggie pals on Peets. then as I ban myself from posting when I have things to do to a deadline, silence.

I doubt I will bother with the Bowman or Mermaid's board, thank you, I avoided DTA in Sue's because of one new leading light and pal who dominated threads with their moral absolutism.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Yes, I do and did appreciate the benefits of honesty 3 Wells.

I joined Peets a very long time ago. I was on the old BBC board and still posted spasmodically in Peets all along, though avoided the early thread because it tended to be fairly repetitious. Some posters using both would duplicate their contributions, and I didn't want to read them twice.

Now that both Bowman and the Village Pump are so unattractive, I'm happy to stay in here and Peets.
Brians Cravat
Motoring along
Motoring along

Post by Brians Cravat »

I posted in 'The Early Thread' in Peet's a couple of days ago and, was soundly ignored by posters that I had previously regarded as friends. Since my outburst in Bowmanland, I haven't received even an e-mail from one of my 'friends'. No-one has been in touch to ask me to explain why I wrote what I did. Shame really.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Had hands full lately .. Not looked in Peets (Apart from keeping track on Grace).. must have a look.
An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

Ostriches. And no, that's not intended to be a dis-associated word :-).
Alternatively (or additionally), "Clique" (pronounced "SEA-Leek")?
Joe K

Post by Joe K »

Brians Cravat wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:15 am After the events of last June, I stuck with the 'Smee Sue' thread. Sadly, many good friends had decamped to 'Peet's' and, I tried to remain in touch with them there. I am no great fan of 'Peet's'. I often post using my phone and, I find the layout and font size difficult. In truth I find it a bit bit clunky too.
Hi,

I found my way here by Googling for a 'Mustardland' board ran by 'Angie'. Seems I can't use the link above without registering, and it looks like a repeat of Smeesue's, so I'll hold fire on that...

I was banned from Sue's a year or more back, but I was expecting it. It took a long time to join, because back on the Beeb board, she'd mentioned blocking a poster, then passing his/her IP address to another board's administrator, for a pre-block.

That kind of behaviour didn't sit well with me, but it was starting to feel like I might've outstayed my welcome at Peet's, and if I got banned there, would need an associated board to tell my side of the story. But strike that, reverse it. I made a post that got removed without mod comment, I raised the issue, and I got banned (by Tau, I think).

Some posters might wonder why my position at Peet's seemed a little precarious. The only issue most people seem to have with the board is the format, and as I don't use a mobile phone to access it, that's never been a problem for me. ATD has said, I think, that the moderators there are a reasonable bunch, but in my experience, things changed when Peet became infirm, and then died. A handful of mods succumbed to 'John Wayne Syndrome', nailing up warning notices like something out of Harry Potter, and the rest didn't challenge them on it. Neither did posters. One mod was like that from the start, though, and his/her signature 'Moderation in everything' - suggests a link with the moderation company who oversaw the original board for the Beeb. I started calling them Tempura, and now damned if I can remember the original name.

The absolute ban on discussing Brexit, though, doesn't suggest that any remaining mod is interested in free speech (and I don't mean the right to shout 'fire!' in a cinema, I mean polite, if sometimes heated discussion of topical issues). Paranormal is still a busy enough board, but even there, visiting seems to have dropped off. I suspect mentioning this would put me in the ducking stool again, so it's nice to have somewhere else to talk about it.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Thanks for joining us. There are few of us so the more the merrier. I don't think I want to contemplate Brexit, so you wouldn't get much of a response. It sometimes seems like a Western street with an occasional tumbleweed competing with the sheriff on his way to lunch at the saloon.

I go into Peets most days to lurk or post if there's anything to say. I don't have any problems with the mods because my interest is somewhat reduced since leaving Angie's. It seems that a moratorium on criticising the mods is tacitly accepted regarding this and the other boards.

This thread leapt near the top because I felt like refreshing my memory on what occurred way back. Do feel free to post on any or all other threads and start one if you like.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hello there.. It is Late and I am Tired (and distracted elsewhere) so I Cannot add much tonight, But nice to See Brian's Cravat again.

Still have mail to get posted, but I'll try get back here soon (i.e., when I'm awake).