Mists of Autumn fruitfullness

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Mists of Autumn fruitfullness

Post by goodlookingone »

The only two trips on The Waverley have both seemed overloaded. I'm sure they were Legally full, but I guess that they needs all the ticket sales that they can get.
My first trip was Kent (Via the Thanes Forts), to pass side-by-side with its inshore/riverboat paddle steamer. The Trust that runs them had bought The Waverley for £1 from B.R. from the Scottish Island run, but the Much smaller vessel cost £400, Thus they considered that they were overcharged??
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Re: Mists of Autumn fruitfullness

Post by goodlookingone »

I seem to have sparked a flurry of interest in The Waverly in Ms Bennet Darcy wonders if we're all ok. in Mustardland, The Bull. - Page 77 .
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

They came and reaped the wheat over the garden hedge. After the rain I wondered if it would be fit to harvest. I heard the machine and went to look. I could hardly see the machine for the cloud of dust billowing round it. This morning there have been lots of birds there, and in the garden too. The white hen pheasant has returned to the field and there were a couple of blackbirds and half a dozen wood pigeons in the garden. I also heard two laying hens next door, a carrion crow and a green woodpecker. The countryside is open for business again.

I think the £1 purchase of the waverley was to have it on the books as an acquisition.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Yup, we had some weather here too. I must lay into the Local gov again. (via Age Concern I think) Their blocked Surface-water drain (The one that runs among the Tree roots under their lumpy paving) is causing the overflow of my gutter - into the roof and through the ceilings.

Some way (half a mile) from here a food warehouse has burnt down, and the Flow of burnt/melted sugar has flowed into a brook and thus into the River Crouch. I'm guessing the Local Council has their hands full at the moment that the Fire Service, and Rivers authority are handing over to them - my gutter will have to wait.

Acquisition ... that reminds me of my working days. A Contractor was removing some spent Battery Acid (it had been used in the Fire alarms - for when the power was cut off - and Water pumping for Quenching water tanks). His Agreement/invoice including to repay a shilling a gallon that rendered him (contractor) as the owner of the "noxious substance".
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

OOPS. https://www.bing.com/search?FORM=U504DF ... rley+crash

I just posted this and it seems not to have appeared.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I'm mystified. Remembering that water flows downhill and Essex doesn't have steep sided villages, how are roots affecting your roof gutters?

That word Acquisition always suggests to me nefarious and dodgy dealing. I always used to giggle a bit when I saw a big sign on a city building reading "Acquired by..." and the name of a big property company. I would see boardrooms with shifty looking businessmen and city elders passing documents under the table.

The rain has stopped so I must go out to hang out the washing. I had a hell of a day yesterday with one launderette hi tech kiosk not working and no parking near the other one. My washing machine has gone on strike and I'll have to half dismantle the kitchen to get it out for repair. The plan is to dismantle the cloakroom to accommodate it or its replacement, and I can't face it at present.

On the plus side, Cassie decided to sleep through, so I got a good night's sleep for the first time for weeks.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

I live in a courtyard With all the Houses sharing a Common Gutter, There are several Downpipes, including one down the front of My house (and another at the back, but there's no problem with that one). The pipes join the drainage point somewhere under the footpath/paving. That pipe is blocked by the roots of a tree in the courtyard, thus the gutters overflow.
1) These houses are of a Swedish design so have no eaves or soffit. The Gitters are directly under the edge of the roof tiles,
2) My house is in a corner where the flow from either direction overspills at the top of the brickworks, into my roofspace, and down the front of my house.
The Roofspace flow halts at an internal wall beside my stairwell runs to the end of that wall and into a Cupboard, through the cupboard floor/stairwell ceiling, and through the ceiling of my Rear hallway. The External overflow has penetrated my front door and disposed of wall boarding as well as the door and frame, where the flow from both directions to the downpipe, and overflows here damaging another downstairs window, and external door (Rubbish bin)..
The Paving outside (over the blocked/tree roots pipe) has left "trips", some ow which are several inches High.

Sorry to go on.. I'll take my Tablets and cool down.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

You could plumb in a water butt to collect the water from the top of the down pipe. It could be used to water the gardens as long as there's a tap on the side. If it was on a stand, the roots wouldn't be a problem. You live in a dry county so a decent sized one would easily take the overflow.

Just a suggestion, ignore if you don't like it.

My cleaners have been, and I can relax for the rest of the week. Do you ever get problems that are interdependent? I have to move my washing machine into a cloakroom that is full of stuff including a toilet and washbasin. The place in the kitchen where it used to work, has a built in unit which the kitchen designer said could be moved if required.posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=159#. He's always very busy with his crews in constant work.

The owner of the Manor House nearby has just died, poor thing, but it means that we may soon be rid of her Leylandii whose roots plague my neighbours' garden. Maybe the ballroom in the manor may come back into use.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

It won't... The Downpipe is not in my garden, It is down into the courtyard. .. and I'd be VERY reluctant to nake the downpipe from My House be the only working downpipe for all the Houses in the courtyard..

It's getting dark - is it Evening, or is more rain getting itself prepared?

Did the Manor House Owner actually live in it; or was He/She is (or was) some sort of Care establishment? I'm not certain that His/Her demise will make any prompt changes - unless of course, the successors are after a sale.

Is there a Law of Nature that says that whenever I'm typing a missive on the computer, complicated phone calls intrerupt.. Now, Where was I? Yes, Convoluted interdependent matters To occur simultaneously especially when I cannot spell interdependent or simultaneously, and only type with one finger.
Kid Sister is getting Silly Text Messages from her Mobilephone supplier - They seem to think that they have sent a replacement Sim, and her phone will be NBG in nine days..?? She never asked for a Sim, and Never received one, and meeds The number that she has.... She has no pooter to reply to their address which has no phone number.

Is the Washing m/c a permanent re-housing, or just for your Kitchen Engineer to do his work?

Time for a sit-down and a cuppa.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

She did live in the Manor, but was in the hospice when she died. She was allegedly trying to sell it, but refused all offers. She didn't seem to have any heirs.

I think there is a law that ensures you will be interrupted whatever you try to do. It is similar to the one that says whenever a body is immersed in water, the telephone rings. I have a good shower that with the door closed prevents me from hearing the phone. In any case, the phone answers itself and blocks international calls. It screens everyone else unless I have included them as a contact.

There would be little benefit in moving the washing machine just for a repair. The cloak room had a toilet and washbasin when I moved in, but there is no competition for the bathroom and the return to a simple utility room is overdue. I hope to move the machine into that room. If it is really broken I'll have to replace it, but I think it may just be a fuse. I spoke to the kitchen man today who is very busy, but we have a plan involving the local plumber who is much more easy to call out. This work has been delayed a few years because of financial constraints, but things are improving.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Oddly, I've had a phone call re Washing machine.. Some supplier or other (?) heard that I had a washing machine that is three years old it was - I would have thought that it was hardly thought-provoking... No idea how he heard that (He seemed to know the brand name) and that it was now time for a replacement??? In fact, My wash m/cit is at least twenty years old, (I have only owned two in the forty years that I've lived here) one puts used clothes into it, and they are unloaded clean ...., What more could I possibly need a younger washing machine to do??

I have (today) opened a new box of pills... My Doc issues 3 months' supplies. At two per pills per day, it is normally three boxes of packs of 56. I went to a chemist nearer the Doc's (During coronavirus and too long a wait for the infrequent bus to Town Centre Pharmacy, where I would go for general shopping). The different pharmacists had a different supplier of two boxes of 84 pills. No Problem ... except, today's box of alleged 84 had only 2 x enclosures of 14 = 28 pills. I'd better raid Doc's again ... IF there are p.m. buses running. .. I have previously been "Instructed" never to have less than a month at home in stock. The Receptionist (behind coronawotsit screen) won't issue immediately, but I can then collect the script at my next Flu/test results at next weeks appointment, but the real point is that I am unhappy that I have had this incomplete box here for some weeks before I opened it to find the error - too late to do as anything.

Gotta go... Ginger Tom (of great weight and age) is clawing at the woodwork of a doorframe - we need to have words,
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I had a twin tub washing machine at first for about 10 years. I had to stand over it, spinning wet stuff while my neighbours did their gardening. I bought an automatic after that, which lasted about 15 years. The next one lasted another 15 - 20 years and died in the great appliance failure after my husband's death. This is the replacement which was moved into storage for 3 months then into my new kitchen 6 years ago.

While clearing out the cloakroom we found 5 packs of kitchen paper bought at different times. My half dozen range finder cameras also got transferred to the study. A Zorki 4, Zorki 6, a couple of Yashicas and Konica C35s and films to put in them. My OH had enthusiasms. I did see the air rifle that I didn't dispose of because I didn't want it used to maim wildlife. Blunders got it to quieten the rooks, but a black bag hung on the washing line has the desired effect.

If you frame your requests to Ginger George in terms of an increased pay claim for you if he doesn't desist, it may give you therapeutic entertainment as long as he doesn't have you evicted for insubordination. He probably won't stop carving the fixtures and fittings though.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

After a couple of sleepless nights, I fell asleep this p.m. So I've woken myself enough to have an "early night".
appoint to visit Diabetical Nursey visit tomorow morn, and a Flu innoc in the afternoon ... so don't let me oversleep.. Perhaps if I underfeed His Gingerness He will awaken me in the Morn (Thinks: must go hunter-gathering in the catfood shop tomorrow).

Is there a shop near you known as Poundland? They sometimes have 35mm film, (£1) and for that matter, recording tape cassettes (£1 for 2 x 30 mins per side) .
I too have inherited a couple of cameras (1920's Kodak Brownies) from Mum and her sister, but no idea where to get roll film (120), and one (or two) from their Brother.
I can't remember having a dinner???? Nursey says that I have to have a meal with pills... I wonder if Cheese, Biscuits, Grapes, and nuts would suffice...?
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

We have a photography shop which sells and processes film because of the local camera clubs, but I do still have some Fuji film. It may be useable. I was never impressed by Kodak film which was always too bright for me. I do have two digital cameras, both Canon which I have always thought have the best lenses.

We have a Poundland too, but I don't go in there too often. They don't have much that I want, and even things like black bags are too thin to be useful. I once found a perfectly adequate pair of binoculars in Aldi's central aisle though for £6.99.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Back in my Apprentice days, there were colleagues from other manufacturing - A very motley lot, The lecturers could not undersatnd why we weren't at A Car Factory in Dqagenham.. But two bods were at the same outfit , Ilford Films. They both believed that Kodak had "too much blue". Even more oddly, These two never met at work.... Their paths never crossed at the same time in any of the factories. (Ilford = pancromatic, Brentwood = Colour printing, and Basildon = x-ray) . All gone of course, since EU. Even more oddly Me and one of the Ilford blokes ended up in totally different aspects of the Same outfit ...NHS. Although I cetainly meandered in several things .. wonder what happened to Pete???

I was told that unexposed film lasts longer if kept in the freezer ... Myth or what.

I do have a digital, but also inherited another... make unknown, A very obscure connection (so I cant match it to unload whatever my late Uncle left in it), Cant see a brand nave so no idea whet I'd need to download it to? (My favoured Camera shop in Chelmsford disappeared long ago)
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I'm almost paralysed by frozen technology. The intermittent fault on the car is probably the fuel pump, and I can't do anything about it until tomorrow at the earliest. After the RAC failed to find me at home on account of giving the contractor the wrong address, I sent them on their way rejoicing at 12.30 pm.

It's been a decent day otherwise.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

I hope you are Mobile again...
I'm in Self Isolating... Got a Hosp appointment, but with 14 days notice, they are insisting of self Isolation - except for an assessment exam (same Hospital) and a Covid rest - Don't yet know where?? - both by taxi (no busses) and masked from Home to Hosp, and back to home). So 14 days niotice to be preceded by 14 days isolation ... I have been trying to buy Food for me, food for cat, household necesitties,, and a bundle of banknotes to pay for taxis. ... Very difficult to get food with a long-enough use-by date: Esprcially needing two bus loads, All on the very week that the british love of digging-up- the-roads, so busses no longer go to bus station to make a connection, and, late in the day there was a half-hour delay (outward bound) and an hours queuefor the delayed return. There seems to be acres of road building machines, No proper Police control, but the single file (shared with the Roadbuildin equipment itself) controlled by the builders which direcction to allow - to their own favour of course.

I looked on another website called "Oldies". I note that one of the members list includes "three wells". I don't see anything of hers there.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

It seems that like the NHS app, Essex is not fit for purpose. I downloaded it and it doesn't work. If your passport photo isn't wearing glasses it doesn't accept your identity. So I won't be using it. Have you got Covid or is it an excuse to strap you down?

My car is back, mended and running. I took all my dirty clothes to the launderette and it's time to go and collect them. I also posted some letters to international destinations so am now feeling more in control.

The roadbuilders round here block off routes that have no work being done on them, so instead of letting you take the shortest route you have to go an extra 6 miles.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Nope: know nothing of NHS Apps.
No, not had/have Corvid (at least, as far asI know), but I have to go into hospital in a "Dayward", thus the Isolating for 14 days.. unfortunately I only got that phone call of the 14th day before the appointment, thus I have no warning to stock up with food (Moggy and human). So I bought as much long "use-by" food and as many as Frozen ready-mades as I can fit into my freezer. I DO however, have to visit twice before then.. One an assesment at local Hospital, and they will arrange a Covid test - date and location unknown. but as I am to be masked from house to taxi, taxi to Hospital (and vise-versa) in each case.. I don't know hoe far distant the Covid test will be, so I have had to get vast amounts of taxi cash in my pockets.

Glad you have your car roadworthy.
I see that in Local news another Yankee car maker is setting up a training establishment for them to open a car factory here.. The name is secret ... Former Vehicle divisions here had been Ford Tractors (Now an assembly shop for EU products) and Ford bus and truck development and testing, and Ford Europe sales. (The latter was a group of Five office buildings, now converted to flates). Other vehicle sites (York Trailers - a Canadian firm, and Michelin supplying and fitting Tractor tyres for Ford, but those sites seem to be for other budiness's).

Road rebuilders ... I don't know now - I can't go out?
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I've just come back from a day out on Nympsfield Long Barrow. A treat, meeting my sister and discussing old family history, Why my father was called Peter by the family. Other mysteries like why my sister gave me a cigarette on VE day. She remembered taking the paper off for me. Draws a veil over the rest of the happenings. It was the furthest I have driven 60 miles each way, so I'm very tired. I remember driving to Cambridge for a meet and just slept very well that night. The car behaved well, so the repair seems to have worked well.

Ford caught a cold by trying to fight the women with unequal pay. This lot would back them in exchange for a bribe.