February, 2020 - Approaching the Solstace and More daylight

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

February, 2020 - Approaching the Solstace and More daylight

Post by goodlookingone »

I just posted to the Last entry to January, I can't see a way of Correcting it - Sorry.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Re: February, 2020 - Approaching the Solstace and More daylight

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

Bring it on. More daylight is good. I went to the woods below Dunkery Beacon with Cassie, then came back via the hand car wash. Lots of mud, sycamore seeds and moss were removed and all the camouflage has now gone.

Penarth is the harbour for Cardiff, (ferry and docking for the Waverley). A 2 mile swim from here. Swansea is further West a little bit North East of Mumbles and the Gower Peninsula, where I have spent three holidays. One by Oxwich Bay with then nine month old daughter (whose youngest reaches 18 in April), One in a tent on Rhossilli Bay, and the third with OH while waiting for cancer surgery. We sat on a dune on Oxwich listening to the tide come in. Work is work, but maybe you had a look at the scenery.

Sorry about your tree. The extraction is presumably to avoid your house being uprooted at the same time. Good luck with that, I hope your MP, now he's sitting pretty and Brexit is done will get on with your correct address now. In the meantime maybe people can find their way to your door with the three words that find you.

Earlier, I went to the Club for Brunch. The first since November. Much appreciated with a table of cold meats, fruit, cheese Hard boiled eggs, a fresh walnut loaf and a bottomless coffee pot. Tea if preferred.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Alas and alack.. The Waverly is in need of a Whip-round. She is in dock in Glasgow having her time-expired Boilers being Replaced. Notices in Southend asking for funds. It was known that she wouldn't tour this year. Just a thought ... One year, on her annual round-the-coast tour, She broke a crank in Tilbury Ferry-dock. In 24 hours a replacement was made, airfreighted to Southend, and deliverd on site as was her Museum team. She sailed from Tilbury under her own steam on the Next Flood tide, with a new Insurance certificate. Damn good performance, I thought.

I think it must have been Cardiff (whichever it was, it had a Castle). I was doing a job for "Stack-it-high, flog-it-cheap, every-little-helps". Cardiff is a long way for "Jack from Hackney", but a damn stupid job. But one of those jobs where I was working late, so Like another job (at another supermarket - that time a warehouse, but by another pretty coast - and I can't think of the name of that place: Think of Frankenstine and hundreds of steps up to an Abbey).

This Estate was originally a Forest as part of a Farm - I keep imagining that my Ol' Grandad walked home through my house on his way home from the railway station. Bits of trees do sometime poke through.

I have waisted another day awaiting for the third time, for an Insurance examiner for replacing the wind-blown tiles from my roof ridge tiles. He can't find me in an imaginery road address, so I'm awaiting him for tomorrow. I don't know whether He will just examine and report, or examine and repair (and charge) or just Examing, Charge, and make a date for the actual roof-mender. Should I offer to buy him a map? I bit anoying as I have to make another assault on Sundry Agencies who are (supposidly) Getting the Utilities for actually sending their invoics, and actually deciding what Tarrif they are using.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

The wind blows high. Gale force 8 gusting to force 10 but it's slowing down now, but only a bit. It nearly tore the back door off its hinges, but it doesn't appear to be damaged.

Whitby is an interesting place. Driving round North Yorkshire one says "On a clear day you can see Whitby Abbey", then you soon realise that there are few places in North Yorkshire that you can't see Whitby Abbey. So you sample the liquorice, admire the Jet (a form of slate?) and discover that Dracula
or (Abraham Bram Stoker) liked the place too.

Hope that Utilities manage to find you. What3words https://what3words.com/ can give a precise location for your proper address, as well as your wrong one. If you wait much longer they'll have to find their way through the woods. I have scrubbed a few squids off green Electricity bills with Look after my Bills, and reduced my BT bill with Make my Bills Fair. Something to do while waiting in for people to find you.

The Waverly seems to go on for ever, but I vowed to go to Ilfracombe and take the local boat if I meant to go to Lundy again. I can't take my dog so that's that.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Oh Hell. I just typed a reply and lost it - start again...

Whitby is interesting as is The Transporter Bridge, But even more interesting was the town of Staithes. I was working for a now defunct Supermarket Distribution Warehouse - The Supermarket was "Safeway" but the whole storage and Warehousing Distrubution was actually "British Road Services". My work involved mostly working evenings, so I had time in the Mornings to cross into NYorkshire to have a Lurk.
Staithes is way below he Level of the road - and one is "advised" not to drive into the Town and Dock - although the locals had thier cars down on he dockside - but must be difficult to escape in the winters snow? Such a secluded Place and picturesque, and actually the Birthplace of a Famous Sailor (Surname "Cook", Discovered Australia). They also had the remains of aall-timber Viaduct (rails now removed) crossing way above the town as part of the round-the-coast freightline.

The Utilities ... GGGRRRRrrr.... After Severall attempts the Insurance assessor did find me on his third attempt. Tried the upstairs room with the water ingress, and Viewed the roof from both sides of the House with a telescopic (9 metere) extension wth combined tv close-up, and photo camera. His decision was that 1) The Ridge ile problem was dispersed by the neighbouring house had replaced the ridge tiles, and 2) that there was a damaged tile but the Insurers would consider that as "Fair wear a tear" so wuld not be covered... The Insurance office said that my claim was too old so they were not involved ??? In fact I had told them last Spring, long before any ingress of water, back before my last TIA, but they Only wanted to use my latest "Chase-up when I old them of the latest change of address.. ........ and then ..... his weekend, the heavens opened and I have 2" of water in my indoor catch-pot - from a low point in the stairwell ceiling..... Must get help - tied up this week - The local "Help Agency (Age UK formerley Age Matters) have passed me on to another agency, but they only help in certain respect, so I am now also dealing with CAB??? I have an interview with them this week as they are trying to re-instate my Pension Credit which was Stopped when the Council interfered with my mail - I'd better get some notes made.

The Waverly is small by Modern Standards. It was two seasons ago when I took a trip from the Estuary at Southend (The Pier Just at the seaward side of the Boundary betwixt The Coastguard Control and The Port of London). for an evening trip to The Tower Of London. This small ship is rather overwhelmed by the Crowds they needs to pay for it, and if one needs to cross Left to Right accross the Deck(s) it is a difficult crowded walk - Sorrry I mean Starboard and Larboard, not Left and Right - But but the two "above water level" decks are still well below the height of the Thameside sea wall so one sees nothing of the Docks or fields ... I suppose it must be sensible to have the seawalls high enough to keep the Thames in Place(?) ... it also meant that the old Rifle range (Cetainly pre WW I and prbably in use up to WW II) cannot be seen as the Marshes vare about the same height as the Thames? Latterley he Munitions were cleared and it became a Nature Reserve - But The Powers-that-be Kept the Ho Polloi (i.e., us) until the birds and wildlife had taken posession There are Now Bitterns there from the Wilds of Norfolk.

Yup, Have been Raining Yesterday and today (some in my starwell), but it is the wind that was the Trouble. The Cliff Pavillion (the tall Theatre/gallery /meeting rooms above the seaside cliffs in Westcliff) took the full force of the "breeze" across the Estuary.. It has lost part of its roof - so the Roads and Cliff Gardens are now closed by the Firemen.

That "https://what3words.com/2 hat you sent me is interesting - That Map shows a road where I live .. There is NO road - all the Houses are still here.

Best Wishes - Hope Carrie is OK.

Gotta go, to prep to take up cudgels for tomorrow...
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Dennis is just arriving here. I had intended to be out and halfway back by now. I have a cold but still need to shop for things Tesco didn't have. They didn't have the dogfood that was on offer, for the second time this week. Trying to dump the less popular formulations I expect. I need a new Kitchen timer. This one has fallen on the floor too many times to keep working. I actually keep it in my study because it's too quiet for me to hear it in the kitchen. One of my friends is on the phone for a long time so I set the timer so we don't go over the hour.

I was very busy this week with the commissioning of the new Rector. It involved cooking food for the reception afterwards, and singing a new hymn. Because he's Welsh and born in the valleys we should get more encouragement to be musical. Our choir leader lives over 20 miles away, we only have choir practice when she can make it.

I found the road outside the estate was flooded. I managed it OK, also more wide puddles on the way to Minehead and back. I suddenly remembered getting back in the car with the shopping at 2 pm that there was defibrillator training about to start in the village. I negotiated a different flood and came straight home via Blue Anchor. I'll ring with my apologies later. It would have meant coping with the first flood again, only deeper. I'm not going out again until Monday.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

When I made my Previous post, I was listening to the Radio.. Got so confused that I pressed a wrong bouuton and had to type it all again?????
The Radio Programme Was (well, a bit "Gory") of some work in an Emergency Operating Theatre in a "Well known London Hospital" - Changing from Blood transfusions to Blood Clotting transfer.. I was actually present in a meeting many years ago, that was way beyond my knowlege, but I have now filled in most of the gaps in my understanding. Really interesting to get the Whole Story though.. (That was the meeting where Captain Kirk was involved) - (It is also the Event that a more Recent/current Yankee President was telling the Yanks how much safer Gun usage in U.S. was much better that treating The "Blood bath" of Knife wounds that He had heard about(?) in a prestgious Londom Hospital). That London Hospital is now in a new building with a new Heliport and easier access to Ambulance "Life and Death" cases. but extended and doing well. Their measure of Success is the percentage of patients who survive to exit on their own feet..

The weather is ... well, Draughty but not the Heavy Rain that was predicted (but Later news suggest that tomorrow will be wetter). However... an additional problem is that there are Road works all across this Area - This estate and a neighbouring estate, not helped by a traffic roundabout by the Railway station (Four roads joining)being blocked for the Electrikery People installing a new Line, as well as the Building of a new Group of Houses by that same Rondabout... thus the remaing Half of the roundabout is now for 2-way traffic. (I just saw a motorcyclist aiming head-on to a double deck bus coming toward him, managing to Sueeze past). Of the four bus routes (and two operators) have altered their routes - The stop I usually use now only have two of those routes (one of which is Mon-FRi a.m. only) Then other calls at two more stops, does a U turn and comes back without stopping, goes around the remains of the traffic roundabout (delayed this a.m., by a "Breaking up the 40 year old houses into hardcore machine" was trying to get into the building site) Bus then goes around three and a half sides of the four side of this estate to get access to the other side of the bockage he had just returned form ???) to join the first of the Traffic Lights Queued control to the roadworks in the next estate.. But I can't work out which buses do that instead of ommiting their visit to my usual bus stop... So I now walk to the station.
Oh, I missed a bit ... If one apprached that roundabout from the Station Forecourt, one can see that the "Keep Left" bollard has bee added to by a "Pass left or right" sign but NOT to drivers leaving the roundabout that approach the same sign. But Some(?) buses approach on their left and turn right..

Think I'll Hibernate until the end of the month??

I Bumped into Karmik Kriss Yesterday in thje town Centre. She has been AWOL for awhile as two of her relatives were ill, and had now died. She has also been with another Relative being Ill near Chester... but Although we had a quick Natter, she was actually raiding the shops looking for her Mum.

Gota go... Headache, Earache, Backache and.... and.......

Best Wishes.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I have a feverish cold. Going out in just a fleece and no anorak was a bit daft. Not drying off and getting cold meant a session with 2 changes of hot water bottle and drying my hair. I had a headache and an antipathy to black coffee this morning. A paracetamol and breakfast with coffee sorted that out. Also added a dollop of self pity.

The light bulbs in my study and dining room both failed last night, so I went to bed and changed them this morning. I managed to disconnect my computer from the mains so had to reconnect. I now feel a bit more effectual than I did.

Our flood situation seems to be controlled by the tides which don't let the surface water drain at high tide. I drove through 2 floods yesterday to get my draft magazines to the proofreaders. Then I did some shopping, and I'm staying in until tomorrow. The tides here on the Bristol Channel are the 2nd highest in the world (somewhere in western Canada are the highest) so we expect them to be pretty dramatic. Watchet Harbour gets it regularly. The sea wall that collapsed last month has collapsed again.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Yes... there has been conversation else-mustard-thread about the Coronation Year East coast Floods .. The war had necessitated High Banking along the Thameside where Canvey Island (i.e., re-claimed swampland drained by the Dutch Enineers a couple of hundred years earlier). The Wartime Banking was munition and observation posts the Keep invaders away from London (OK, I have since learned that it also had a de-guassing tracker accross the thames to alert innocent ships bringing in Magnetic Mines attached). But the Banking had trapped the flood in the newly built Housing there. 300 odd persons drowned on that stretch of Estuary. Many Films in Essex Library of The Police Herding cars/Lorries/Buses and boats to Terra Firma, and Firemen and the Military searching the VERY WET Houses for people trapped within..

Yes, Like you I have also accumulated a touch of The Dreaded Lurgy. Not Seriously, but After my Stroke (now some years ago) My Daily menu includes a modicum of Aspirin among other things, so I cannot add sundry ad-hoc treatments for flu and suchlike.. My Latest Doc - A young woman who seems to have more recent belief's than my former/older GP's ideas of prescription, and changed several elements.

I have been trying to get my insurers to repair ingress of rain through the roof - The Insurers are denying responsibility. I Must get a decent insurer.. A previous renewal was when I was in Hospital post-"stroke", so I had to sign up to the only one available - i.e., The Stroke Assoc, no doubt well intended, was with SAGA. I really must add "Insuance Smallprint options" to my immediate problems. Of course all the insurers tell you their own "Good points", but I lack conviction that one is above the others. My own Bank is one, but I need to look in a broader scope. (thinks: Must find the Charger for my Camera to get "in-attic" pictures if I can find the direct scource). Looks like I'm going to end up Financing my roof repairs - Difficult as I had intended to still be earning.. I Suruptitiously wathched a Couple of Ploke repairing a nearby House - They buth seemed to be working tidily, carefully bringing down dipaced tiles to ground levey and brushing them clean - And they did the job within a couple of hours - and (from gound level) their work looked complete and intact - I've kept their calling card (Oh dear, A local address - Next to the Graveyard where my Grandad lies).

Goodnight - Best wishes for your Health
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Thanks GLO, If you go through Money Supermarket online, you can specify your requirements in advance and you choose the best option from the quotes offered. If you pay for your own roof, it will be good value with these chaps, but get at least two more quotes because they may spot any problems these local bods haven't. Once the work is done it won't be a claim you need to declare. They will look after your Grandfather's grave too if you ask, but they may charge extra.

I well remember the 1953 floods. W.e looked on in shocked horror at the newspaper pictures. I'm well aware that the Thames Estuary still harbours a number of hazards to shipping from the War Years.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Damn.. I knew I'd forgotten something today - I havn't eaten yet... I'd better ge some food so that I can take todays pills ... I wasa just reminded of lack of Food when His Gingerness just sunk his claws into me.. He is far more aware of Eating times.....
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I wasn't really hungry yesterday, so sliced some mushrooms into a Tapas dish and stirred in some mayonnaise. I could have added lemon juice and parsley but didn't feel like going outside to collect parsley in my nightclothes and bare feet. It was very nice without, anyway. I had fed Cassie, but got compelled to wash up the pressure cooker and the slow cooker crock pot because my cleaners were coming. I have a rule that any yukkiness is got rid of and not left for them to deal with. Now Spring is almost here the veg rack needs emptying and made fit for use again.

Glad that his gingerness is keeping you up to scratch. Not as nasty as Simon's Cat, I'm sure.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

I've made a decision ... Or at least I think I have ... or maybe in two minds... I prefer to use a proper fountain pen, My Parker 51, absented itself years ago, and I never really got on well with its successor (Rather a messy tool), but My other modern pen (A shaffer) is better but not as well to my feeling as the Original Parker ...... So I'm going to invest in a bod who (alledgedly) can make one (or both) to my liking. Afraid years of British Standard Stopwatch clicking and use of a ball-point (or Tectime Keyboard, latterly). I think I'll try something legible ...

Or on the other hand I do still have my broad-nibbed italifc ... perhaps I'll have second thoughts....
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

If you want Pen porn https://www.cultpens.com/c/q/explore/pr ... ntain-pens have a look at this. I have a decent Sheaffer, a Diplomat and a Lamy. I also have a few little bottles of coloured inks, violet, dark green and sepia. There's a rainbow of colours to choose from, and I also have a little rocking blotter. Just make sure there's a converter to fit (used to be a barrel/reservoir,) or you might end up just with cartridges. If you're happy with that, fine. It's just that things have changed over the years, and having a good nose round their website will give you the chance to maximise your options. You can get basic pens quite cheaply. As they say all of them write nicely and usually have a nib that's just the same as one costing 5 times as much. Then you can talk to your friend and get him to make what you want. Handwriting is always better with a proper pen.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

You have them ... Makes me feel inadequate now...
One of the Artshops in Brentwood hads a range of Ink Colours

Found two outfits - One in Epping and one in Scotland.

https://www.penhome.co.uk/pages/pen-repairs

http://www.classicpenengineering.co.uk/ ... pairs.html
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Oh dear, I didn't want you to feel inadequate. I've been a stationery addict since childhood. I have at least 3 journals in progress, and I love writing with a decent pen. We had a shop in Birmingham called Mallin the Pen man, but these look great. I hope you end up with a good pen and an ink to satisfy your persona.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Oh.. I'm susposed to be in Birmingham next month (The VintageCar Restoration Show - I'm looking for the cost ofRepair/resett My Car Springs - They settle down a bit after three quarter of a million miles). Too tired now maybe flu or something. Goodnight.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I've booked an appointment on Thursday to have my brakes renewed on the back axle. The front ones were done as MOT failure repairs, There's an replacement indicator unit on the back seat, after I discovered the hedge at the top of the hill was a little more substantial than it looked. The lens was broken, but after fiddling about with the bulb, and pushing it back into place it worked again. The back and the side work fine, so I've assumed it's legal if it works and I have a replacement and a date for fitting it. I had my shockers and springs done last year, so it's driving nicely. I'd like to get some more wheels. Local potholes have taken their toll over the years.

It's been wet and windy today. Many years ago I got used to working on the Beaufort Scale, so MPH is meaningless to me. It will be force 6 gusting to Gale force 8 around teatime tomorrow. Oh deep joy. Even so the hawthorns are in bud, I have snowdrop, daffs, primroses and violets in the grass. I noticed yesterday that my camellia has two pink flowers on it.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Your Stationery addiction started me off thinking of my working days. When we didn't need a formal meeting, but needed to "exchange thoughts".
So A Cafe in Tottenham court road was equidistant between our two Hospitals Offices. Never know the name of the Cafe, but the Landmark was "Morgans Stationers retail and supplies" Always worth a mooch around.

Thursday appoint! So have I ... My back axle is ok, but it's my Brain that needs fixing. Constant Tiredness and intemittent Headaches necessitates a visit to Diabetical Nurse - I'm sure my mix betwixt Long-ago-stroke pills, and Diabetical pills need a bit of a tweek.
Also got to see Bank. Unlikely that I'll get worthwhile work (or any at all) and I needs to adjust my sundry accounts into a better cash flow (which Reminds me - Appoint this a.m. re better elec/water/council tax paymenrts - post stroke seems to unearth various discounts that are not common knowledge.. Must get paperwork together - with this mornings mail delivery.

Afraid Beaufort scales means little or nothing to me... But those blokes atop the Lifeboat Housing on Southend Pier - (Binoculars, Telephones, several Screens and Lots of aerials - not decided whether they are Coastguards/Boarding Control for the Pilot liason for P.O.L./River Police keeping the hoi-polloi away from the half sunk munition ship/Immigrant Control or all or more of those things). Have been heard en-route to their eyrie, Mentioning Beaufort,
... or was it for the annual Sailing Barge Race?

... and after mentioning the Canvey Defence ... Local newspaper shows a Building (OK, A well maintained Shed) on the "Land Side" of the See wall Shelter was a "Place of Historic interest" of the de-gausing recording of magnetic Mines under incoming ships.

Gotta go - Draw some money for the Cab to the CAB.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

i have some income paid direct into a savings account to protect it from being spent on the wrong things. The dog has her own account to pay for vet's bills etc. She paid my dentist bill in January. She could afford it.

I went to Wells this afternoon. The satnav took me through Shapwick on the Somerset Levels where the road tried to break my shock absorbers. I won by reducing my speed to 30 mph. I passed a pub called the Three Wells and thought of someone here. It snowed while i was in the meeting for a few minutes, but all that was left was lodged on my windscreen wipers. On the way home I saw some little egrets in one field. A little way further on I saw some larger white birds that could have been Great white egrets, but decided they were swans. I was glancing to the side while keeping one eye on the road. I wish I'd stopped to take a longer look.