Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

An Advent calendar for December

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_8VSCh2u7o][/url]

I'll try and find something entertaining for every day up to Christmas. If you can beat me to it, I'll hold off until the next day.

Today I'm off to find a bottle of Armagnac to dose my Christmas cake with.

My pack of music for the carol service will be given to me today, and for Midnight Mass.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Re: An Advent calendar for December

Post by goodlookingone »

I have been a Bit diembonubontulated. (too much happening in what I jokingly call, "my mind").
What is happening out there in the world - I am just risking a peep over Barracades.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Glad to see you. We've done one service at the hospital, and the other at the church will be on Sunday. The carol service went well last week and I'm hoping I can remember all the notes.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Christmas - Isn't it over yet...?
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

After the rain, something gleamed gold in the ploughed field. A single shaft of winter sun lit up a brown hen pheasant minding her own business. Quite a revelation.

The bridge of my viola collapsed as I was about to play this morning. My dear old friend Charles passed me the violin he was going to play later, so I didn't have to sit twiddling my thumbs. He sorted it out for me afterwards at coffee. He stuck to playing his cello. A real star of a 90 year old whose deafness doesn't stop him playing quite beautifully.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Oh dear ... It never crossed my mind that a stringed instrument bridge could actually collapse. I hope the event was not lost. Can you substitute a Viola with a Violin?
Any more planned over the next few days?

Right, I'm cold, Tred and feeling unwell, so I wont dally. I hope you feel as fit as a fid..... perhaps I've worded that wrongly...
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

The bridge isn't glued on. It's carefully balanced, and the strings hold it in place. If it leans too much forward or back, it can fall over anyway.

All the notes in the event bar one could be played on the violin, but it needs concentration to remember that the violin is higher, and you have to remember which string you should be using.

No more instrumental work, but I've just had the annual phone call from the other member of the choir because the rest are away, too far to travel at night or wanting to sit in the congregation for the midnight service. Last year I didn't go, and regretted it, so I'll go and sit up there anyway and sing my head off so there. Tomorrow I have a friend coming for the day so I'll have to try and have everything organised in advance.

I hope you have a decent day and get some sleep too. A furfle for Ginger George. Happy Christmas.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

A Fruitless day for me.
Me and His Gingerness are both "under the weather", But I just suffer it, but His Gingerness can just wail at me. How can a Cat, fast asleep upstairs, actually respomd instantly when there is an almost Silent "click" to the door that houses not merely Teabags, but also sundry types of catfood packages?

I'm going to take my pills and retire for the night. I hope you (and Cassie) have a good Christmas, and Enjoy both the Night time Service, and your Visitor's Company.
Goodnight.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

In the event, the men in the choir showed up, the ones too far away came anyway with one extra, and we had a trumpet to take on all the Glory.

Our second border collie could hear a sock going to my husband's foot, while she was sleeping. They really can hear, especially if it's slightly significant, and a storm of Bat out of hell can't disguise it. It's selective alertness. The second most important sound in George's life.

Happy Christmas everyone.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Very Quiet here, on previous occassions there have usually been noise from the pave outside at the crack-of-dawn as neighbours kids apply bikes/scooter/ 'lecric doodgens cars etc, but nowt today.

In fact I was awoken by furry clawed paw rousing me, and raspy purring noises by my ear, so I certainly didn't neet to quietly open food cupboard door... I'm sure he only does this for re-assurrance that I've not forgotten him. One of his foodbowls sill had food in it. - Could be due to his unhappy kittenhood, and He is regressing in his dotage.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Looks as though George is fond of you. In spite of everything. Funny about the lack of teenage disturbance. Maybe they went up West to give you a break. Or have just grown up.

I hope you are feeling better today. I was a bit tired and with a touch of vertigo. I had a fizzy Berocca to balance up my vitamin status My daughter said it might be the veggie diet, but I think it is just my body taking advantage of the quiet time in my calendar.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Been to "the sales" - No Buses or trains yesterday, so all he "good stuff" could have gone. Not exciting, but I needs a new mattress. Nothing in this Town, so I ventured a busride to Chemsford... BIG MISTAKE... No Crowds, but not many shops either. But the problem was getting back. I go one f the Less frequent, but faster buses (he one that started from Stanstead Airpor Coach Service). It doesnt need to use the Southend Arteral Road, but it does pass under it. The Roundabout under that road was to a standstill The Police had stopped traffic joining the Southend road, but were diverting it round that roundabout to proceed the route that my bus was taking into town BUT, Other Policies were taking Queue off the main road by "U-urning" it usng the "Joining Road into the Exit-road back to the roundabout. Well managed to minimise a total stoppage, but extending traveltime no end.. It just left me to get a local bus home from he Town Centre bus station. However.... The delay on the first bus meant that I definately missed two buses, and the third had exited the Town centre as my (first) bus arrived. I got on the next bus which promptly broke down (Service Eng all on chrissy Hols) Next bus for some reason came into the bus station but stopped in the Parking place for The Opposite Direction - i.e aiming from where it had come from (to Mr Legs end of Town??). Next bus still had the broken-down bus in his parking place, so sought and found parking for another route. Thus All he new arriving potential passengers pushed us displaced passengers to the end of the queue - I feel tired by getting nohing done. Never Mind - It's over for another year.

Glad you are feeling better, but like you, I need some sort of "pick-me-up". Wonder if its worth venturing back to the Town Shops.......
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Clearly a pilgrimage to the Great God Nooki or is that shrine in Romford? Unless you were amused by the Romans in Britain sitcom "Chelmsford 123", that would mean absolutely nothing to you.

I woke with good intentions, to surprise my brother by taking him out to dinner, but today it all seems a bit Too Much. There is a political programme on the radio in the bedroom, but I can't be bothered to switch it off until I've had my coffee. I need to start my adventure by making several phone calls.

I bought my mattress online from My Next Mattress, and they were remarkably laid back about collecting the balance after receiving £50 deposit. If you want to risk it, try using the 'What three words' system to help them to find you. They'll wrap your old mattress in the wrapper they used for the new one and take it away. They have a good selection, and as long as you avoid Memory foam should get a comfortable one. Good luck.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi!
I "Clicked on" to the "My next mattress" that you mentioned - Shock-Horror... One of those brands shown was Silent-night - I did a job there once, Told them that I can't guarentee the "Right" result to give the result they wanted, but they insisted on doing it anyway... Then wouldn't pay. The FirstTime that I've ever had to go to court to ge paid ... The silly buggers then wanted me to wait until the day of the Court Hearing.... Needeless to say I went to court with my latest bank statement on which their payment was not shown. They HAD paid when I came out of Basildon Court, but by then they had already been commited to pay the Court's cost, A "Double Whammy" costways to themselves .... as well as having to admit to their owners that they had my work showing that you cannot increasing productivity just by growling at their staff... Thus I shant buy anything that uses their brandnames...

To move that story on ... My Next job was in the Motor Industry ... There used to be a big Yankee Car Manufacturer in Dagenham were expanding by buying a Solihul Factory (By Birmingham airport/National Exhibition Site), exotically named as "Damson Lane". There I met my next client who lived nearby and admitted that He too had "met" the same outfit that had sent me to Silentnight.. They wanted him to discuss matters "In the pub" - and coveniently forgot their wallet - seems they were a right Flashy but slippery outfit.

There - I've gone "off topic again.
A bit of unwellness stopped me from chasing up His Gingerness annual check-up, so I'm trying to get a belated Vet appointment. Yesterday (Saturday, 28th Dec) I tried to make an appointment but the new management wasa closed on sat p.m. Think I'll get cat (and my own) hosp appoints sorted before I persue Mattress Matters. You may recall that changes to my address has rather misdirected my doc/local hosp/distant hosp appointments (as well as House ins repairs), so I will delay any Mattress appointments.

Stay well....
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

PS, Romans ... ?
Not Certain that the Romans dallied in Romford - They just built a road through it ... and Chelmsford - They aimed for Colchester Barracks - A certain writer who's name secapes me - Remembered his National Service days - being able to translate the curses and orders shouted at him by his drill sergeant, to the original Centurion's Roman Instructions to his cohort.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Oh Dear, My third post of the day.. There's not many of us here, but I'm hoping therev will be someone too shy to make themselves known, but the following is a Copy of my Post in "The Village Pump"

At about this time of year (or perhaps earlier, and I missed it) There is a Mustard Meet, usually in London at one of several eassy-to-find-Location. Has anybody yet started on any of the Mustards, the wrestling of best date to avoid Hols, School, teaching, Visiting dates, I'll have a lurk in Peets, and in The Alternate Mustard. Don't know about Faceache (anyone know how I can get back there?).
SO.... Has the bartering for a date yet been arguied yet. I belive that the New Membership here is "Somewhere North", and possibly there are others that have not made themselves known. For my twopennorth, .. well I'm pliable on the date, (but it might be nice if its on a date where that Romford Greengrocer's daughter has her Hot roast Chessnut stall at Tower Hill Station to sustain my walk! It would be nice to see some new faces, although of course, I still want the more established bods to be there.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I have been to the Tate Modern, and to the Festival Hall. But not to the Barbican. Not that many dog friendly pubs in that there London, Last year there were two Meets to accommodate the complexities of satisfying a large number of folk. I tried a Somerset one a few years back, but it didn't attract anyone at all.

Hope you get your chestnuts
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Yes, Sheena just reminded me of the two-meets. think it was adjusted to encompass both the School hol for teachers, and Visuit from Kit and Husband.
A quick flitt to Peets and see that Redbookish and Whitby Rose are putting in claims for a date.

Last Time Honeysuckle had found some Photo's from previous years (possibly retreived before the BBC archers was removed from the screen). Lots (well, almost all) of the group in the photo's was identified.
... and speaking of Honeysuckle - seems that yesterdays news us that she is unwell and in Hosp
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Oh dear... An unfortunate day for me to mention Honeysuckle. A sad event today. She passed ad 12.35 today - Just heard from Mermaid.