The cold remains of the Last Months Haloween

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

The cold remains of the Last Months Haloween

Post by goodlookingone »

Not certain why we "Celebrate" Haloween, but it is out of the way now.
Cold and Damp and Wintery...
Think I'll Hibernate.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Re: The cold remains of the Last Months Haloween

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

I remember people I love who have died. The funny things they said, the way they did lovely things when I felt sad. When something unspeakable had happened to me I received a box in the post from my mother. It contained a glory of spring flowers, daffodils, primroses, violets. I don't know why, she hadn't been told. I just thanked her and said I'd been feeling ill and it had made a difference. Once, I made a cake with sugar violets on it and took it to her for Mother's day. I went to a candlelight memorial service for All Souls a month after my husband's death. When I saw the little tea lights, I couldn't help smiling. He loved low tech: candles lamps, little stoves. It's more about life, and happy memories than scary ghosts.

I've put a seed cake in the oven. Unfortunately it's the one cake I can't resist. I once ate a whole one before it was cold, but I had made a large cherry one and a small seed one with the mixture, so it wasn't quite as bad as it sounds.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Cat's are a damn niusance.. After trying to catch up on sleep, Hid Gingerness Head-buttee me a few times to wake me, The kept getting in my way, and head rubbing - He came very near to getting his ears entied with my boot laces.
I have now fed him, He has commandeered my mattress and id dleeping there...
Perhaps I could trade him in for a Dog - or more Likely, HE will trade me in for a dog.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

A dog couldn't feed him. He's better off with you. You love him really.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

An interesting point, Rwth. I'm not really a dog-lover, but I remember My Sis talked mum into having an Alsatian/German Shepherd (err a Dog, not an actual Human Shepherd?). On his initial vist the pup (about 3 months old and incredibly nosy) barked at Mum's cat, Curiosity not viciously). Cat swiped him on the nose, and Dog learned his place... As The dog Growed, moggy proved his premiership by stealing the Dogs food, whilst Dog was eating?? Dog stood back and looked hopefully for an adult to retreive his bowl. Dog never stole cat's dinner...

Dog was a very protective feller, including protecting the cat. At one point, Cat was in his favourite Hobby - claiming the warmest chair and sleeping on it. - Dog tried to befriend him by licking his face. As The big Doggy tongue he started from cat's nose, lifting his head, an continuing as the cats face sank back down onto his paws - as he did so, He opened the cats closed eyes, who continued sleeping as his eyes closed to continue sleeping. I don't know if Dogs actually shrug their shoulders, but He slinked away to admire Moggy from a distance..

Very Gentle Dogs, Alsatians. Big and strong and don't throw their weight around. I once worked in a London area where "Guide Dogs for the Blind" trained a dog/humam partnership (The Dogs didn't need much training - the new owners Did?) Always Big and Strong beasts, like Alsatians, or Retrivers,They would sometimes send a blind person into he hustle and bustle into the Town Centre by bus, to buy some petty shopping item (e.g., 25 postage stamps). The Trainers would "inadvertantly" have a trainer in the town who might accidentally "bump-in-to" the trainee dog handler.. I distinctly remember an Alsatian trying to help his charge to cross the road in front of a No 25 bus at traffic light that were in her (i.e. blind person) favour, and the Dog having difficulty getting her to move>>>?
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

My neighbour a couple of doors up had several over the years, but Cassie was terrified of them at first until she stole a ball off a Belgian shepherd and I got the owner to put out her hand and say "give it to me please". Cassie did so, and apparently lost her fear of them. We did encourage her to be friendly with other dogs, so as her confidence grew over the years. They usually obey cats if they are well trained. Guide dogs are wonderful, and I do love them. German Shepherds especially.

11th November and it's head for the hills time then our orchestra service at the hospital.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Just been Hacked in Facebook - theres a surprise.
Would you kindly mention that fact over there. I squandered ages last night trying to sort out facebook.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I've done it. Maybe you could change passwords on your FB and email accounts it might prevent it happening for a while.

I'm having to cope with the nuisance of words and phases escaping uphill and appearing in the middle of the previous paragraph. I more or less solved it with my previous computer but it's begun again with this one and I can't remember what I did if anything or what it's called in the trade so I can ask for the right help.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Each time I get "Hacked" I have had to change my Password. There have been at least ten different passwords in the last month. But it is only a few days before the next time I use the New Password, and that gets Hacked. I already have a security system (McCaffe), and my Pooter link (firefox) are now telling me if my pooter gets hacked; there have been two attempts, both rebuffed, one two years ago, and one last year. Seems to me that the hacking is being done by Facebooks sending to me, at each post they send me. There is no "hacking" with anybody other than Facebook. e.g., No interference here, nor on The Village Pump, nor Peets, nor my e-mail address. Just soley and only Facebook.

'fraid I can't work out your problem with your text appearing where you didn't put it. Is it a fault in your own pooter?
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Facebook is a piece of work.

I've just finished the parish magazine, and wanting to use my jammed laser printer, had another go with the fishing tweezers. Reader, I succeeded, and have printed 4 copies double sided in record time. I can use my scanner/copier injection printer for photographs and its other uses. It uses a huge amount of ink and is only a vehicle for ripoff cartridges. I may investigate a tank option, but only using small numbers will help a lot.

It may be a problem in Windows settings, but is a major irritation in email because I can drag and drop in other applications, but have to cut and paste in email.

My MOT runs out on Thursday, and I've kept forgetting to arrange the test. I'll have to ring and drop in tomorrow in case it's not an option at the usual place. Maybe I'll try somewhere more local because my usual garage only takes it somewhere else. I try to run it in with other things because hanging around town is a pain especially in this weather.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Well my MoT ran out years ago, but it's the MoT for me - not the one for the car?

Ink for printers .. Yes, I'll agree it is the Ink costs that is a fiddle to pay lots of £'s for a fw pennyworth of ink. My previous printer (HP) was very simple but expired. The replacement current one (Cannon) seems to have all sorts of complicated setting-up instructions after changing the Ink Cartridge. Far too complicated for this simpleton, and takes a-g-e-s.

Ah? Windows... Window 7 has been adequate for me, but my pooter was a rebuild by a charity workshop (Hamelin House), and sold to me via a Charity shop. I think there was some sort of ommision in the charity workshop instalation service, but has done all that I've needed. However, I've had warnings that Windows 7 is coming to the end of its maintenance Life. The nett result is that I am getting loadsa last minute updates. I'm pondering on wisdom of converting to Windows 10. I suppose it is quite an old m/c in current standards. In my working days we had something called "Macintosh".

Our office Middx Hosp) was in Mortimer street (Behind an outfit called "BBC"... and "Channel four ... andThames,etc) which may have been why we had Macintosh service depot nearby. What's more important to me is that there was no instalation charge - I wonder if that might be a useful connection instead of a "time-to-time" ending of service via Windows - wish I knew more about the damn machines...
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I tried upgrading my Windows 7 computer (Sony Vaio) to Windows 10, but it didn't take. I think the battery was iffy because the clock kept stopping. I'm not sure what the requirements capacity/speed are. They are quite greedy. Ubuntu and basic operating systems can be surprisingly useful and not greedy. Lloyds confessed they had swindled me and paid up a couple of thousand, so I bought a new Magimix, paid off some arrears, had dental treatment and bought a new Dell Inspiron Laptop. The virus protection cost nearly as much, so I wasn't keen on having to buy a new printer, so the anglers' tweezers were worth every penny.

I have a HP colour Laser jet, and a Canon Pixma inkjet wifi scanner/copier, photo printer which I bought when the laser printer got indigestion. . It didn't cost very much but it refuses to recognise cartridges without their name on, and pretends to be running out 5 minutes after you've fitted a new one. Ginger George's first cousin? My daughter told me to ignore it until the print quality goes pale.

I remember finding myself in about 1983 in an office equipment establishment that was selling a creation called an Apple computer. It was pale cream with light green go faster stripes, but very tasteful, and I fell in love. My husband told me that notwithstanding the colour scheme, the best investment was in one of those big grey things that would run the same programmes as IBM computers would use. I wasn't stupid, but always called them IBM contemptibles. This was before the internet, and I didn't even have a mobile phone.

I've been trying to contact the Council MOT garage, but they aren't answering the telephone. They claim they only do Class 4, 5 and 6 vehicles so I'll have to try a couple of local places in the morning.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Sorry, not paying attentin (Not well, fighting authority, andSomething causes my computer needing to a sort of "Deep" cleaning - so I keep losing passwords and have to re-invent some.) - I'm sure that damn Facebook caused it.

Afraid the Various Classes of M.o.T. , is beyond my Knowledge. But It's bringing back memories... I was stop-watch clicking back in my working days. and had to go with a HGV Maintenance bloke to get a Council Dustcart through the Test. Would it have been a Class VI ? Must have been 1970's. There was an Accident on the A12, so the travel time included over an hour Queuing. (Tank Transporter en-route to Harwich (for Germany) had knocked a Double-Deck bus over...) The Council (not where I live) used to do M.o.T. car tests for their electorate, but insisting on their own vewhicles going to an outsider.. After the delay, 'twas the quickest Test Ever.. But We all agreed that all the important things were done. (HGV and School buses) seemed to find lots of different degrees of importance than car tests... Power Steering and Air Brakes was of deep interest (How many violent repeated brake tests but the they had to immediately recover full brake power every time).

Oh I'm going on a bit... Not well, Retiring for the night.

PS. Yup, same make of printer than Mine. It really loves ink cartridges.......
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Yes, One brake pad failed, and there are several other small things. The other three also need replacing, but not as dangerously. It gave me time to assess my financial position while they come up with a quote. The discs are worn, and on the cautionary list, but I'll have those done before the next test, prob in 6 months. Silly things like brake hoses probably the better for replacing, even if they didn't all fail, they will next time I expect, and I think it would be easy to replace them while they are working on the pads anyway. I'll ask the garage in the morning, because they will only be compiling a quote to get it through the retest, not the most sensible in labour costs. I may need more than one breather hose to turn off the dashboard light and reduce the idling speed.

I hope a good night's sleep helps. Have as many as you can.

I collected the sandwiches for the quiz supper tonight. We are second in the division, so I want us to win tonight. We drew a few weeks ago with a third below strength against a full strength team, so I want us to be in with a chance of promotion to the first division next season. We could do with someone good at sport questions.