September flutters in ...

Anything and everything

Moderator: Moderators

An Tarbh Dubh
Site Admin
Site Admin

September flutters in ...

Post by An Tarbh Dubh »

OK, here we go! Why "flutter", I hear you ask (or not .....)? Well, it's in keeping with Rwth's last post on the August thread, and we've been discovering the reason why the cauliflowers we were growing seem a little bedraggled - a rough count comes up with several dozen caterpillars per cauliflower! So we've adopted a slight change of viewpoint, instead of planning cauliflower cheese or spicy cauliflower steaks, we're choosing to look at it that we're encouraging butterflies :-)

Speaking of caterpillars ... in the places where farmers haven't demolished the ragwort, we're seeing a spectacular number of Cinnabar Moth caterpillars this year - now to see if we can spot the adults when they emerge:

http://www.wildlifeinsight.com/british- ... jacobaeae/
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Re: September flutters in ...

Post by Rwth of Cornovii »

Thanks for opening up.

I have seen plenty of pictures of the yellow and black caterpillars of the Cinnabars, but this is the first I've seen of the very handsome moth. My butterflies have been white ones, but I don't grow brassicas, so don't have the depredations. I do have to check my veg box for caterpillars, but I've only found one, which is pretty good for organic veg. A nice big cauli is quite a treat.

I do like September so much more than August. The wind has got up so I'm not having to brush away flies on my walks through the woods.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

My Caryopteris has bloomed. It is covered with a mass of blue scented flowers like a big Lavender. It's one of the high spots of my year. After my gardener showed up a few days ago to put in some plants that had arrived, he did some weeding and uncovered lots of the plug plant lavenders we put in last year. We also have a row of lavenders at the top. I wanted scented flowers and it's almost overwhelming when you add in the scents of the camomile and other herbs. Because I don't use pesticides or weedkiller, the pests do only minimal damage before being eaten by other insects and birds.

I've got to organise a talk for the wildlife group before the magazine goes to press at the end of next week. Oh what fun!
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hiya. Been AWOL unintentionally. I will try to save whatever I found today to get access, until I can restore whatever disappeared into the Either.

No Caterpillars here, Just an Unusual number of Slugs. In fact one crawled under my Garden Door and started to consume some of the "Pending" Papers that I had left on the floor beside my Desk - Quite an important one re my PPI. Why is Life More Complicated since my retirement, and much less fun than playing Trains, or Powersations-making, or playing at Hospitals...

Now: To save this connection... I do much better with a Quil than a pooter.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

You are still allowed to use a Quill. I have several fountain pens each with a different colour ink. I even write some letters by hand and send by snail mail.
Hope the PPI one is fruitful. These companies are turning their attention to packaged Bank accounts, and I've just had a windfall from that. Handy for paying various debts. 1 caused by electricity taking an absurdly small DD from my account, then waking up when normal usage outstripped it.

We are having a lovely wet day with lots of heavy rain. My garden will be drunk soon.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi.
My (schooltime) Parker 51 went AWOL. Its successor Parker (now a yankee - albeit on the Coast, in Kent - firm assoc with the French Bic pens) is a much less "User Friendly" (Ink flow doesn'flow if unused for a day or two so having to wait until one is home to reload makes it less usable - and NO, never took to cartridge). So if you see one in a Charity shop....

PPI - The one that I couldn't trace via the PPI outfit, so I chased it up directly - Looks like either
1) It is Furrin, (Probably Yankee) before the Financial Services demanded their registration in uk markets/brands/business addresses (I know the FSC changed its name since then - separation of domestic and Commercial sectors), or
2) Has ceased trading, or was a brand name of someone else.
In either case, a choice of which different Depts of Bank of England can chase this up if I apply with adequate detail within the next 13 weeks, - but it will cost 5% of the value (The B o E are bearing the cost). .. well, 12 weeks left. 5% is a better value cost than the PPI recovery outfit are charging.

I have chased the PPI outfit that I was dealing with - they asked for all details of my Finances for x years, most of which are not involved - but they have confirmed (apart from the one mentioned above) have confirmed that they are pursuiing the two likely ones. Whoever, I contacted them during the last week of the claim re my already claimed matters - They worked as late as one minute to midnight, but I did contact them days bedfore that, but by then they were "busy" only dealing with "Any unmentioned details" but they were not working on persuing existing matters at that time. Fair enough I think. This place was in Bristol - I once did a Job for a Bank in Bristol - A Bank is a Supermarket like any other, and have a Money Warehouse to supply their branches, well hidden from the populace!

Tis Raining intermittently, but seldom heavy at any time, but extensive over the course of 24hrs.

Gotta go - back to Address matters - because I applied to one of the "Helpful" Agencies, I have had to set Legal Matters aside, beyond making enquires. (Out fit called Resolver - Run by a bod also heard on Radio Money box - advised by Solicitor to investigate before committing £ to Legal Costs)
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

I finally went to the dentist yesterday. The abstention was more to do with the stairs, but with a bit of a windfall from Bank charges refund, pre-empting the falling out of the lot was advisable.

Another rehearsal of the orchestra for Sunday only 4 of us including pianist. Easy pieces this time.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi..
Yes, I too must visit Dentist - He was a competent bloke, but it is in the recently refurbished (and about t be demolished) Doctors Clinic, but The docs wont use my address, so I think I've lost the Dentist too.

Done a lot of prevaricating - too much prevaracating, so chase me away for a few days.

Is that a Rehearsal FOR Sunday, or The Rehersal is on Sunday for another date?

Must go into Town. A report this a.m., that Somebody had seen Basildon's Fountain working ... Statue of Woman and child holsing a Fountain aloft. It is only repaired every few years, but breaks down after a few days (Alledgedly caused by box-fulls of Washing powder being emptied into the pool and fowling up the machinery). This time it seems to co-incide with the after-summer return to schools? Then.. I really MUST get things done.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

The rehearsal was on Wednesday for Sunday.

Why don't they switch off the fountain, empty out the water, then refill? Who can afford to throw away washing powder? or is it people who can't afford the Launderette? I can't afford it myself, but it'd cheaper than the laundry for duvets that are too big for my machine.

I'm trying to do the list of 'at a glance' reminders for the events in the magazine. I'm not motivated, but I'm going to do it, then print the proof copies for my readers. Then another viola practice then bed. This repaired dental plate is just as uncomfortable as it was before it got broken on a tough flapjack at a party social. When they take a few more teeth out maybe the new one will fit better.

It's been a lovely day but when I did the watering I was horrified at how dry everything was.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Only half-filled wih water - I think Non-domestic water replenish is nearly as Costly as Washing Pownder, but yes, A report in Local Newspaper implies that the Druggies who but their needs in the Town Centr have been seen Bathing there? Not to mention the hour or two Labour to empty and refil.

I'm guessing that by now your Concert is done. Hope it went well.

Don't like the Dental ideas. I really must find a dentist. And as for watering.... I Must find some funding for a roof repair: When I was in Hospital a few years ago, a was feeble-minded enough to renew my Insurance policy (Came due when I was in Hospital) to the "Stroke assoc" to Saga... Doesn't cover much.

Gotta go, I'm arm-wrestling "Authority" again. I'm off to have a good screeeeaaammmm.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Our service was due to start at 11,00 am. At 10.53 when you posted, I was the only one of the 4 to have arrived. Just as I thought I'd be on my own scrambling over my viola, the others arrived and set up quickly. People claimed to enjoy it, so it can't have been bad.

NHS Choices can tell you where to find a dentist, but you should be able to stay with your old one.

If Saga will cover your house, you should be able to find a much better quote from Money Supermarket or confused.com that includes Legal cover, home emergencies and accidental damage as standard. If you insure on line, they'll email paperwork to you so your lack of snail mail shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you are over covered for rebuild costs. At least half a million. Otherwise any claims you make get carved down in proportion.

Include substantial compensation to your wrestle with Authority. That should pay for your roof.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

The Old Dentist "went home" for a few months each year (South America). He may have retired by now.

OK, So your Music was Solo until the others arrived. I think I've mentioned before about my Mate in Harlow, who was a chorister (Harlow Chorus) and a Singer in Amatuer Musicals, Used to arrive early --- To mark her Classes Work books (Did I mention, She was a teacher). Seems that The Harlow Chorus - was Famous (The Proms).

Changing Insurance is involved of My Fake address. Could be interesting tomorrow. I'm in a "Verbal Punch-up". Re telephone connection and transfer of my e-mail connection. I spent two hours (mie been 3 hours) in EE shop on Friday, Mostly using their phone to their head office. Each succesive contact was less userfriendly, ending with Extreme Words. I'm going to get back to the first Contact who tried to be helpfull: I'll invite her sewnd her boss to visit the NEXT bod they are sending here... They say that my phone is connected, and I know that its not - Thats why the unconnected length of flex is hanging free from the BT Box...
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

That's annoying. All down to the Basildon council twerp who insisted on changing everything. I'd like to grasp her or him warmly by the throat.

I'm waiting for a parcel, and now that my clematis has flourished I keep seeing motion out of the corner of my eye. Added to the gradually unfreezing of my face, I'm not as comfortable as I'd like to be. I think I'll go and make some breakfast which I had to wait for until I'd been to the dentist and shopped on the way back. It's soup tonight.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

That was a phrase used by my Australian contact - who offered to welcome his MP to his town by reaching out his hand to Firmly grasp him warrmly by his throat.

I had not used my phone for years. A previous BT repairman could not make a new connection from the existing under ground connection (i.e., solder the new wire to the end of the old one, and pull it through) so could only wedge the new cable in the doorjamb. I was about to drive to work in distant parts, so I left it to be cut through in the door closing - The presence of a Phone did no more than telling callers that the house was empty, so I relied on my mobile. Current pooter connection reckoned that Phoneline was cheaper (via Their Conn) and that they would connect it, which would save me from armwrestling with BT re the conn.

Actually she (EE) trying to contact me when I was on EE's own phone from their shop. She was actually to make another date for BT because most recent BT bloke hadn't told me of his presence and did "All He needed" to the outdoor box.- Although He had already been here without contact me, doing all the "Confirmation" re the outdoor box. Now read on....

EE reluctantly sent Their man: Quite Polite, and added that the most recent BT bloke had left their box in dangerous (sparks possibility). Phoned whilst I was here, and got an appoint for today, 13:00 onward. Then as I was about to go hunter-gathering at supermarket on the same day, a new bt bloke took a much greater interest, disappeared for a while to get his tools, and fixed it all..

Then as soon as He left, I got another call from EE asking if new Router worked - He''ll have to wait until I can put back the furniture that I'd moved for BT access, so I'll expect another call soon to transfer my account to the cheaper(?) rate. ... Meanwhile, I have details to find, for my Distant Doc (Distant in the sense that She recognises my Legal Address) as Certain tests and checks are due.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

That sounds like progress of a kind.

We had our rehearsal for next week's Harvest Festival service at the Community Hospital. Mostly rehab patients waiting to go to residential homes. We'll be doing songs with actions as well. No doubt the physios will be pleased.
goodlookingone
Doing well
Doing well

Post by goodlookingone »

Hi, Not Hignoring you - A combination of...
For first time ever I have had a "reaction" for this years "stronger dose" of Flu Innoculation.
During this time I missed a Doc Phonecall from Hospital, so now have to catch up on delayed appoint (I don't get appointment mail).
Havn't given sufficient instructions (or was unwell or at GP) to insurers menders to find where my house is, so got a roof ingress of rain.(thinks: must buy a bucket).
Got complicated phone calls - tried to lessen cost of Solicitors by trying various "Help Lines" and Ombudsmen - They just keep asking the same questions.
Must buy a prtable Filing box and sort Paaggeeeesssss of compplicated phone calls.
Incredibly complicated correspondence re False Addresses.
Putting Furniture back into place/repairing, ex Phone (indoor) lines, to finish setting-up faster/better/cheaper interwebbery conns.
Needs to arrange a liason betwixt Counciller (who financed the High Court agin address change) who is now Knee Deep in Brexitting, MP (ditto re Brexitting but of an opposite view) /Kym the Solicitor - who seems a lot of absence in court.
Stepchange/mortgage-pension.
P.A.L.S. re hosp on another matter.
Find (or get reprint) for six-month Diabetical Tests.
and...
and...
Oh and got to get me and moggy to various appoints.
Oh, I have been banned from Facebook, and Change passwords - Someone Hacked my post to invite people to pay for a get-rich-quick scheme. Wouldn't be difficult, but I'm a bit "under-theweather"
First thing: To confirm Interwebbery to transfer my account to telephone line contact...
When I was working, Trains, Hospitals, Tool design was all much easier than this retirement lark.

OK, Now chuck all that away. I put it all down to get my head in gear.

To more serious matters:

Good that your music is carrying on, but I'm concerned that your fellow musicians are a little tardy in their arrival times. Can More than your Gang-of-four be involved? Has Harvest Festival Been and Gone. Seems to be traditional to be in Equinox (middle of last week), But the Actual Festival?

Some time ago, I was sitting in the Town Centre Coffee-shop, and I wa approached by a Lady from another table. She offered Condolencies re the demise of my wife...? You may have noticed that I don't have a wife - well I've never noticed one? She has mistaken me from another old geezer who used to walk past her house, but now he passes-by "solo"? Of course, I don't know where she lives (Vaguely in Mr Legs Direction), nor who this bloke is, nor if he is in fact, newly widowed. Since then she seems to draw me into her groups of her mates. She has recently been unwell, including a hospital stay. I'm quite happy to chat to them, but..... I don't want to get into all the back-biting and bickering, nor involved in what her son who may or may not be as controlling as she is. Just thinking of Somewhere else to shop - but all involve changing Buses in the town Centre.. where I will normally be accosted.

Oh, I'm off to confer with Moggy - I think that He is older than I have been thinking.
Rwth of Cornovii
Doing well
Doing well

Thanks for your concern. It's been a combination of people on holiday, and a volunteer arranging to pick someone up. The 'passenger' who celebrated his 90th birthday a few weeks ago had said, 'pick me up if it's raining hard' but likes to oblige by RVing on his pushbike. A misunderstanding. Our conductor/ pianist is well over 80, and not very well. I was glad to see them. We don't have a rector, and rely on volunteers.

Our Harvest festival is only approximate 2 October and they've only just finished the wheat Harvest, and my veg box farmer harvests all the year round.They like it in the Community Hospital which although small is quite new, about 2010 ish or later. I love them, because they take the pressure off the big acute hospitals. This one does step down and rehab, but the equally new one in Minehead is a Minor Injuries Unit, and does all kinds of clinics. I've had compression bandages and a pre op assessment there. It's first call on adder bites.

I'm sorry you got hacked on Facebook. If you leave all the groups then rejoin, you should be able to post again, though closed group mods tend to take their time to approve you.

I read your sorry tale with awed fascination. Hamlet's father would find his own description of the afterlife to fade into insignificance.

Which moggy are you referring to? The live or the dead one in the box? My dog has several ages. 98, when she is asleep most of the time, and ten months, the age she was when I first knew her. Sometimes, she's only 70 and needs to be lifted into the back of the car, but frisks around on the hills.

I lost most of yesterday copying photographs from my old computer, I had gone through several years of pictures I had uploaded from my cameras, and deleted the whole of 2015. I think I'd decided the best had already been categorised. I'm fairly sure the 32 gig of pictures contain more than their fair share of thumbnails. It's unnerving to delete an empty folder that contains 70 or so items though.

I was approached by an old lady at the Macmillan coffee morning on Friday who told me in no uncertain terms that I was a rubbish parish magazine editor. I had had the temerity to improve on her husband's piece submitted for the edition on the shelf in the church. Apparently, my polite email to explain my changes had not cooled her rage, which was icy to begin with. I said she was entitled to her opinion and left soon afterwards to cry at home. She had done it herself for 14 years, so you'd think she'd be a little more forbearing. She's perhaps the only enemy I've had since schooldays. I encountered her when I first came here, and she is unfailingly spiteful. I just ignore her most of the time, and speak politely when she can't be avoided.